Newb considering base 991 - input would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
i would buy a 991S cab today and finance it to the max. go out and have a great time with your wife, girlfriend or both................tomorrow the asteroid hits according to unnamed NYP media sources

Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Wow 27!

For sure I'd wait until:

1. you've paid off your kids' college and at least have some wedding money aside;
2. you own your home with no mortgage;
3. you own some investment properties in your 7 figure portfolio;
4. your considered "senior" at your job so as to merit such an indigence;
5. you've been through at least 1 divorce; and - this is the important one
6. wait until you're reflexes and senses start to dull from old age, that way the excitement of the car will be multiplied 10 fold!

--- now that the joke is over...

The current lending environment is very restrictive and overly conservative b/c banks are no comfortable betting on property values in the foreseeable future. They are only lending you money for a mortgage if the purchase is well over 100% collateralized (the interest they charge is for the risk inherent to that model [next to none]). So banks will put the screws to you if your debt to income ratio and/or front end to back end ratios are beyond normal parameters. Talk to a mortgage lender and figure it out backwards to determine what kind of expense you can shoulder without closing doors in the banking industry.

I leased my 997.2 and my 991 (I'll be 40 in a few years). I have leases in the name of my business so the payments don't count against my personal ability to borrow....

Get a nice car bud. Contrary to dogma - these are not toys (although they're often treated as such). They are precision instruments that drive like no other sports car. And they are made to be dependable and reliable.

My is my daily driver. Snow tires, baby seat and all... I get 28 mpg on the highway at 90. I'm smitten!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

DRP

Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trysixty
i would buy a 991S cab today and finance it to the max. go out and have a great time with your wife, girlfriend or both................tomorrow the asteroid hits according to unnamed NYP media sources

Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by trysixty
2 weeks to my 991 C2 delivery, I'm gonna be pretty pissed when the world ends tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
Originally Posted by drspeed
...My is my daily driver. Snow tires, baby seat and all... I get 28 mpg on the highway at 90. I'm smitten!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

DRP
What baby seat do you use in your 991?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Kenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fester
Kenshin - what a story! Kinda share the same story here too and perhaps a little more intense..but it could be too sentimental and boring for few folks here ! Wish you all the best and I'm sure this is a great start for all - it all goes up from here. Congrats to you and Op on accomplishing this in your twenties!!

Thanks Fester & thanks Sid....just been doing a lot of lurking on this forum...heck I plan to read almost all of it by the time my car arrives in April...but felt a little lost amongst gentleman and ladies that have so much knowledge and purchasing power- that I felt a quick connection to this young OP as to us being in a similar category. Raised with great values I've never lost my ability to relate and understand I always wish the best unto others-hope this gives the OP a different perspective on things!

(Sorry if we got sappy and boring real quick...,but the time it took you to read this...the needle is already passed 120mph) -HAHAHA....my wife's Toyota Corolla is about to hit 45mph-no bashing on this wonderful 4-door car...she'd kill me if she found out I said it!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:36 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Poults
don't put your future at risk; be responsible now and you will be more than able to buy the latest and best 10 years from now,
Excellent advice. But you may be able to swing the car with less headaches in a sooner time frame if you earn and save.

Being you're from NY, there is a car cruise every Wednesday evening at Bear Mountain during the car season (begins in May). There's usually between 600 - 1000 cars each week and you'll get to see every brand and model you can imagine. You should drop by for a visit, I'm there each week.

Last edited by CarreraPete; 12-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 PM
BED997 is infamous around these parts
OP- I would find a CPO that is the color you want with some desired oprions and drive a nice used 997 - a car with a warranty that someone cared for and maintained. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Budget an extra $5k for your car and save it away for any unexpected costs, NOT mods. A couple nails in the rear tires will eat up that money quickly.

Buy something easy to sell or trade-in should your life situation change. In a few years when you are more situated in life, order that new 991 (or by then 992) exactly like you want it. GL

Last edited by BED997; 12-24-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
NYC911
Welcome to 6speedonline and the 991 section.

Only you really know your financial position, but remember what J P Morgan said: If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." It's a little flip, but has it's wisdom also. Someone said start with a nice house and I couldn't agree more. The house will probably appreciate, the Porsche, probably not. For fun, you could get a nice 2007 911 MT. I had one; it's just fine. You can get it for $40K and probably won't depreciate like the new 991. Whenever you feel comfortable enough to buy a 991 cash- go for it!

Have fun!

ChuckJ