Design issue - 991 Cab Soft top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
Would you have noticed this problem if you didn't read the full manual and only the quick start?
No idea. I haven't looked at the quick-start brochure. I would hope they omit all the detailed warnings and just use one big one that says "Read at your own risk! Warnings omitted!" That will take up enough space as it is, but if it's done right, the quick-start would be closer to the users manuals we had before Nader descended on the world.

Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
Why Porsche changed the buttons just for the soft top functions I also don't get. Yes, i know they are mimicking a natural behavior but it's really uncomfortable to have to keep pressing the top whilst driving. Oh and putting it up it's also really uncomfortable - in terms of the usability buttons.
Hmmm? I really need this explained, Alex. Sorry.

Gary

Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
There is a pretty big difference in my mind between a correctly designed, engineered, and manufactured product and the "label/warning police" issue. While I completely agree that some products are worse due to certain safety issues and that there are far too many warnings these days, in this case based only on what I am hearing in this thread the interaction between the seat and the windscreen appears to be poorly designed. This isn't a warning issue, it is a ergonomics & common user useage issue. Rest assured that Porsche will fix it in a future release and likely as not provide any kind of retrofit/warranty fix UNLESS there is a safety issue. Probably missed in initial testing and the electronic cutout wiring and switching couldn't get there in time for Yr 1 & 1.5 (quite a project if they never saw this coming). Lots of things are "fixed" in manuals only later to be fixed in real life.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jster
There is a pretty big difference in my mind between a correctly designed, engineered, and manufactured product and the "label/warning police" issue. While I completely agree that some products are worse due to certain safety issues and that there are far too many warnings these days, in this case based only on what I am hearing in this thread the interaction between the seat and the windscreen appears to be poorly designed. This isn't a warning issue, it is a ergonomics & common user useage issue. Rest assured that Porsche will fix it in a future release and likely as not provide any kind of retrofit/warranty fix UNLESS there is a safety issue. Probably missed in initial testing and the electronic cutout wiring and switching couldn't get there in time for Yr 1 & 1.5 (quite a project if they never saw this coming). Lots of things are "fixed" in manuals only later to be fixed in real life.
I agree with this. There is an entire field of Human Factors that deals with design issues and making systems work well with Humans (who are all inherently different in their level of "common sense" and what mistakes they will make). These days, most engineering schools stress that there really is no difference between a poor design from an engineering perspective (something that just doesn't work based on the laws of physics) and a poor design because Humans just won't/can't build, maintain, or operate if properly.

In this case -- I'm on the fence a little, but I have to agree with the OP that it isn't common sense to realize that the wind deflector would hit the passenger seat and cause damage. My view would be different if every car had a wind deflector and we've had a lifetime of experiences that tell us that this could cause damage (like we do with a finger in the car door, or standing in front of a moving car ). The wind deflector and its operations just aren't common enough yet to assume there will be common sense in understanding this conflict.

Good luck in the repair.

P.S. Easy software fix -- the back of the seat will move up slightly (if needed) when the top is activated (just like the windows coming down).

Last edited by Aerodude; 11-16-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Just as an aside, I removed the yellow and white warning labels from the sun visors with rubbing alcohol and some patience. Soaked the area, carefully removed the edge, and kept gently peeling across and re-soaking. Took about a half hour for each side. So much better.