Burmester/Ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
An alternative to dbPowerAmp is a free program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC). I have been using EAC for years and it does a very good job for creating FLAC files, however it takes time to set it up correctly. dbPoweramp is not free but i understand that the user interface makes it easier to learn than EAC. Both EAC and dbPoweramp work with windows only.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
+1 to EAC and the other points nicoff is making.

The other alternative might be, in some cases, buying the album as a download directly from the label or their clearinghouse. For example, you can buy from Deutsche Grammophon. You will immediately see that lower quality sound (less bits) will be cheaper. Depending on your gear, your hearing, and your listening environment (PSE, etc.) it may or may not be worth it to you. All I can say, which is why I started this thread, is that the B. system is capable of using all the bits you can throw at it.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nicoff
Yes the quality of the CD that you burn using MP3 files is still reduced; you cannot make an MP3 file sound better by converting it to a WAV file (WAV format is what CDs use). Another way of putting it is: you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

That is why you are better off buying the original CD. You can then choose to convert the files from the original CD to a lossless format (such as FLAC or Apple Lossless) or to a MP3 file which is a lossy (meaning that it loses sound quality) format. The FLAC or Apple Lossless files will sound the same as the original CD, but will also be smaller than the WAV file. The MP3 file will be even smaller in size than the FLAC or Apple Lossless file BUT it will not sound as good as the original WAV/FLAC/Apple Lossless.

Of course the better your stereo equipment, the more that you will notice the difference between the MP3 version of a song and the original CD or the lossless file version. If you have a not-so-good playback system, you may not be able to tell a difference. With the Burmester, you will be able to tell.
Nicoff, Thank you!!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I use a Mac and have been using XLD as I mentioned earlier but on a whim I tried to import a CD into iTunes and was able to find an Apple Lossless format. So I did a couple CD's and they seem perfect. Not sure if the Windows version of iTunes has it or not but Mac does. and I'm on iTunes 10.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 AM
eddtiff is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting this dead thread.

I've always been on the Bose fence because for
1. I am not an audiophile
2. The cost of the Burmester is quite substantial

My question is, I have a truckload of mp3s and I can't really be bothered going back and re-burning everything again to lossless.

If I am listening to just old skool mp3s, is it a waste of $ to go the Burmester route? Is Burmester really only catered for lossless audio?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
eddtiff-- The Burmester is a clear step up from the other Porsche offered systems with respect to sound reproduction in the vehicle. It is not just for lossless audio. If your mp3s were ripped at the max (320kbps) they will still sound very, very good and for some people, depending on their hearing, volume levels and driving conditions, they may not hear any difference at all between the 320 mp3 and lossless audio. The lower you go with your mp3 the more you are giving up relative to the original but the Burmester should still sound better overall. I would never say the Burmester is a waste of money and advise you against it since that would be a personal choice on your part similar to any other choice you would make on the car. Remember, you can still play cds and you may change your mind on the mp3s at a later date. Now if the best Porsche has to offer (and remember you could go aftermarket for more or less coin) isn't that important to you and you would rather put the money in a different option or just in your pocket well there you go....

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM
eddtiff is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the quick reply jster.

In that case, that has got me thinking a bit more about it. I might need to go to the showroom to connect the iPod up and see if I can tell the difference between that and the Bose.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Thanks for the quick reply jster.

In that case, that has got me thinking a bit more about it. I might need to go to the showroom to connect the iPod up and see if I can tell the difference between that and the Bose.
That would be exactly the way to do it. I would also suggest taking a cd or two you like and are very familiar with and A/B that as well. Finally, and given where you live it might be tough, doing these A/Bs while driving would be even better.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
I got a small side question. I don't have my car yet, but will get it very soon. I also have the Burmester system coming.

Using the PCM touch screen system, can you skip to anywhere within a song? Kinda like you can with an iPod/iPhone? My current cars only have fastforward buttons, and they are a huge pain in the *** with long mixes. Hope I won't have the same with my 911

Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Boon

Using the PCM touch screen system, can you skip to anywhere within a song? Kinda like you can with an iPod/iPhone?

Unfortunately, no.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jster
Unfortunately, no.
Oh bummer Is the fast-forward at least a little fast? Not 3 seconds per second holding down the button or something. When playing via iPhone/iPod, i guess you can skip/fast-forward via those devices too?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Expect212 is infamous around these parts
mac users use the app "switch" to convert files to mp3. its a free app

Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Dominic in London is infamous around these parts
I started with a USB stick and all my music in MP3 320k. Not bad at all, but not premium sound. And the time to index on first startup was annoying, as well as some lag in naming the currently-playing track.

I have all my music on lossless flacs for my home stereo, including some studio masters in better-than-CD resolution. I converted them all using dbPowerAmp to apple lossless in a library dedicated for the 991. I synced them to a new bog-standard 160gb ipod. The sound quality is fantastic and the higher-bitrate albums are particularly amazing.

Until you start the car of course - then road and roar rule the day.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dominic in London
I started with a USB stick and all my music in MP3 320k. Not bad at all, but not premium sound. And the time to index on first startup was annoying, as well as some lag in naming the currently-playing track.

I have all my music on lossless flacs for my home stereo, including some studio masters in better-than-CD resolution. I converted them all using dbPowerAmp to apple lossless in a library dedicated for the 991. I synced them to a new bog-standard 160gb ipod. The sound quality is fantastic and the higher-bitrate albums are particularly amazing.

Until you start the car of course - then road and roar rule the day.

Interesting, I find the Burmester with 835 watts and 12 channels of very clean amplification channeled to each individual speaker is able to over come much of the noise, especially with the windows closed.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM
needlejocky is infamous around these parts
I have been listening to my Burmester in my C2S for 3 weeks. Im wouldnt say im an audiophile but i have a lot of high end audio gear and enjoy good sound. Im not questioning anyone on this thread but in general audiophiles hear all sorts of differences that don't actually exist under blind conditions. I have tried to play apple lossless vs 320kbps on my 160gb ipod and i can tell very little difference. There is really very little difference in anything from iTunes as an mp3 format. The 160gb ipod is a better option then the jukebox though because higher quality can be had from the iPod then the cars hard drive. CD's are much better then iPod too. Purely as an exercise to hear how great the Burmester can sound, I highly recommend listening to some DVD Audio's.....it is beyond description and will generate goosebumps. Possibly some of the highest audiophile quality sound i have heard from any source. The better the source the more it shines, but i agree that even with bluetooth streaming, the Bose doesn't come close.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.