Burmester/Ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 AM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by needlejocky
The 160gb ipod is a better option then the jukebox though because higher quality can be had from the iPod then the cars hard drive.
How can this be the case? If both are using a lossless rip and both methods use the Burmester DAC, shouldn't the sound be identical? In fact, I would expect the B's DACs to sound better than the iPODs, right? If so, I can't see how the iPod could ever sound better than the internal drive (assuming equal source files).

????

Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
How can this be the case? If both are using a lossless rip and both methods use the Burmester DAC, shouldn't the sound be identical? In fact, I would expect the B's DACs to sound better than the iPODs, right? If so, I can't see how the iPod could ever sound better than the internal drive (assuming equal source files).

????
Having read just a little, my understanding is that the jukebox limits you to MP3 and I don't know at what bitrate or how good their encoder is (CBR, VBR, etc.). As such I could see quite a bit of difference to something played through an iPod regardless of DAC.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jster
Having read just a little, my understanding is that the jukebox limits you to MP3 .
Got it - that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

In the end, it seems that every direction I go, I end up back at CD for the majority of my listening.....

Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
FT64-- I can't do CDs since I want to have more than 6 available at a time but you are right on the quality side. The DAC in the B is better than the ipod when I compare Apple lossless through the iPod to full WAV rips straight thru the USB port; at least to my ears. Also, I was getting skips on DVD-A each time I would start the car (three and then plays fine each time as the PCM was booting its various pieces) and it was driving me nuts.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
OK, I fired up the low power USB HD and loaded it with WAV files. First mistake is the PCM blows up if you load over 10k files. The s/w is so poorly written that it doesn't (a) tell you the 10k limit has been exceeded, (b) tell you that you are an idiot for not reading the owner's manual regarding the 10k limit, (c) stop indexing at 10k files and throw up a warning message, or (d) ask why you have so many files in your car...just kidding on (b) and (d).

What it does do is hard fail on the index such that some folders have no files that are "shown" to you by the PCM, some subfolders don't exist at all even though they are on the HD, etc. Basically you get a mash of stuff presented to you with no way of knowing what is on your PCM and what isn't.

After taking off thousands of files to get under the 10k limit, the index is still broken and doesn't repair itself. The fix for this is to reset the PCM through the menu system (of the two choices you do NOT need to do a factory handover reset). This blows away the old index, everything starts over, and the system recognizes all the folders and tracks. What still does not work is the album and artist search function. What does work is navigating the directory structure through the "Tracks" menu and the search function DOES work in the tracks section when searching for a track and you can use that to lead you back to an album without going all the way back up and down the directory tree. Of course if you can't remember a given track on the album or you listen to classical music where everything is allegro this or Jeux des Vagues that, you are out of luck.

So does this make any difference compared to lossless files through the iPod? As mentioned before the answer is definitely yes as the Burmester DAC and associated black magic analogue stuff is clearly better than that in the iPod. I can understand lyrics that I haven't been able to make out before without the liner notes; I can hear inter-band chatter that is behind the music; cymbals, acoustic picks, certain types of percussion, etc. are all present and accounted for just like on the CD (as it should be). All of this still needs to be listened to at higher rather than lower volumes due to the amp/speaker matching but I am OK with that.

If someone has figured out a way to get the artist album search function working I would love to hear it as it didn't work from a USB test stick with only three artists, three albums, and about sixteen tracks amongst them either.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by jster; 07-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jster
OK, I fired up the low power USB HD and loaded it with WAV files. First mistake is the PCM blows up if you load over 10k files. The s/w is so poorly written that it doesn't (a) tell you the 10k limit has been exceeded, (b) tell you that you are an idiot for not reading the owner's manual regarding the 10k limit, (c) stop indexing at 10k files and throw up a warning message, or (d) ask why you have so many files in your car...just kidding on (b) and (d).

What it does do is hard fail on the index such that some folders have no files that are "shown" to you by the PCM, some subfolders don't exist at all even though they are on the HD, etc. Basically you get a mash of stuff presented to you with no way of knowing what is on your PCM and what isn't.

After taking off thousands of files to get under the 10k limit, the index is still broken and doesn't repair itself. The fix for this is to reset the PCM through the menu system (of the two choices you do NOT need to do a factory handover reset). This blows away the old index, everything starts over, and the system recognizes all the folders and tracks. What still does not work is the album and artist search function. What does work is navigating the directory structure through the "Tracks" menu and the search function DOES work in the tracks section when searching for a track and you can use that to lead you back to an album without going all the way back up and down the directory tree. Of course if you can't remember a given track on the album or you listen to classical music where everything is allegro this or Jeux des Vagues that, you are out of luck.

So does this make any difference compared to lossless files through the iPod? As mentioned before the answer is definitely yes as the Burmester DAC and associated black magic analogue stuff is clearly better than that in the iPod. I can understand lyrics that I haven't been able to make out before without the liner notes; I can hear inter-band chatter that is behind the music; cymbals, acoustic picks, certain types of percussion, etc. are all present and accounted for just like on the CD (as it should be). All of this still needs to be listened to at higher rather than lower volumes due to the amp/speaker matching but I am OK with that.

If someone has figured out a way to get the artist album search function working I would love to hear it as it didn't work from a USB test stick with only three artists, three albums, and about sixteen tracks amongst them either.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the helpful analysis. Your findings confirm that the internal dac is far superior than most if not all external dacs. I'm still experimenting with my Ibasso 100DX which has the latest saber dac chip and which sounds absolutely fantastic through my Senn HD 650's and custom iems. I'm wandering if the aux input itself is the culprit. Regardless, the user interface with DX100/PCM blows big time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.