They overfilled the tires and under filled the motor oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
They overfilled the tires and under filled the motor oil

After it nagged me every time I started the car after the odometer reached 9k, I had some time today and decided to take it to the closest Porsche dealer (not the dealer where I purchased the car) for an oil change and a maintenance reminder reset. Although I changed the oil and filter at 2k and 5k I didn't want to screw with the car's computer to reset the reminder; the extra $100 over the cost of the materials or so for the service seemed to be fair for the tech's time and the dealer's facility.

Well, I was wrong. They overfilled the tires and they under filled the oil.

From personal experience, I know that draining and adding the correct amount of oil in a 991 is not that difficult of a task even for a 58 year old lawyer. It just takes care, time and one cold beer while the oil drains. Similarly, employing a tire pressure gauge and then looking up the correct tire pressure and either adding or releasing air from the tire is also a simple endeavor.

I called the service rep, asked him to confirm the tire pressure for the wheel and type. Although the TMP showed excess pressure that confirmed my tire gauge reading, I could be wrong (the Porsche manual could be outdated) and it's always nice to have expert advice on such things. He said he had to call me back. He didn't.

I called back an hour later and he said the tech was on break. I then checked the oil level and saw that it was low but still reading "OK"...I called the service manager and explained that two things never happened when I used to take by Honda to Jiffy Lube

- They always filled the oil to full and the tires to the correct
pressure; and
- They never charged $200 to do that service.

One of the more remarkable things he said (no, it wasn't an apology, he didn't) was that the $200 charge was a bargain and suggested that the dealer was losing money on this service.

I've learned my lesson...I am going back to where I bought the car - Porsche of Delaware - for all future service. They have been very good with the only vehicle problem encountered so far - a minor sunroof rattle - and they actually seem to like what they are doing and are interested in the car and their customers. It's a little far to drive from the house, but it's probably for the best.

Last edited by rnl; 11-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Was that you in the service dept talking about how great your gas mileage was today? Around 12pm?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Yup. Hope your experience with them was better than mine.

Last edited by rnl; 11-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
I was the guy that interrupted your conversation to book my car in next week for the swap to winter wheels.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
rnl
...as a post script...today they offered and I accepted a future oil change on them.....

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
alexcalifornia is infamous around these parts
when you say they under filled the oil, how many lines did you see in the dash?

I had a similar experience where i could see only 2 lines (out of 5) and they said that Oil builds up pressure and will go up when the engine is hot... Was this BS?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
when you say they under filled the oil, how many lines did you see in the dash?

I had a similar experience where i could see only 2 lines (out of 5) and they said that Oil builds up pressure and will go up when the engine is hot... Was this BS?
That's BS. It does not rise with pressure. Only the oil pressure rises.

You can measure the oil level when the engine is off. There is no oil pressure then. One blank square is filled.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by rnl
Yup. Hope your experience with them was better than mine.
We shall see on Monday.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rnl
That's BS. It does not rise with pressure. Only the oil pressure rises.
The oil level doesn't rise with pressure, but the level will rise when the oil temperature increases. Better to have the oil level a little bit low than too high. Also, many dealers fill tires with the pressure recommended for full load conditions. I think they probably do that for liability reasons since they don't know how you are going to use the car. That might be what they did for your car. Unless I specify otherwise, my dealer always inflates my tires to full load pressures of 37 front and 44 rear.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
rnl
What I have seen from some of the mechanics and service managers is a lack of attention to detail, problems with communication skills or mechanical education.

A good tech and manager will actually ask you how you drive the car, how often you drive and under what conditions it's driven.

These days, with rare exception I have had more in depth conversations with bicycle mechanics about my cycle than with motor vehicle technicians about my Porsche. This may be a function of the computerization and/or "componentization" (where stuff is replaced and not fixed anymore) of motor vehicles.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
CDinSing is infamous around these parts
Got to agree with you about the guys at Porsche of Delaware. I live in West Chester and take my car there. There are interested in the car, the service and details.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Happy Thanksgiving.

Perhaps I wasn't clear since some of the comments are regarding tires.

When i took the car in for full service (10K miles) they filled the Oil Level to only 2 squares (out of 5).

That seemed strange to me - eg why not fill it to the max level?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by alexcalifornia
Happy Thanksgiving.

Perhaps I wasn't clear since some of the comments are regarding tires.

When i took the car in for full service (10K miles) they filled the Oil Level to only 2 squares (out of 5).

That seemed strange to me - eg why not fill it to the max level?
I don't know. According to the manual they under filled your oil too

Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 AM
thanks rnl

Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GS997S
The oil level doesn't rise with pressure, but the level will rise when the oil temperature increases. Better to have the oil level a little bit low than too high. Also, many dealers fill tires with the pressure recommended for full load conditions. I think they probably do that for liability reasons since they don't know how you are going to use the car. That might be what they did for your car. Unless I specify otherwise, my dealer always inflates my tires to full load pressures of 37 front and 44 rear.
Both oil volume and tire pressure increase with heat.

It's physics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: They overfilled the tires and under filled the motor oil