New Cayman Best Looking Porsche of All?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I've always found the Cayman to be too "girlie" and cute, and while it's an improvement over the last gen this doesn't even begin to compete with the 911 in my book.

I do like the new Boxster, but somehow putting a roof on it ruins the car for me.

Flame suit ON.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
I've always found the Cayman to be too "girlie" and cute, and while it's an improvement over the last gen this doesn't even begin to compete with the 911 in my book.

I do like the new Boxster, but somehow putting a roof on it ruins the car for me.

Flame suit ON.
You certainly are entitled to your opinion. I believe this may stem from too many girls are seen driving it - because they want a Porsche, and daddy looks for the cheapest ones - Boxster and Cayman.

The problem is - the 'S' versions are a TON of fun. The balance is IN-CRED-IBLE!!! (my opinion)

I firmly believe if Porsche invested time and money into the Cayman, it would be supercar of supercars of daily drivers...

The performance holds it back. I think that is where your perspective might come in - it is marketed to a relatively non-performance segment. Which, to me, is backwards, because I've had so much fun in Caymans, it's unbelievable.

We can't deny the obvious - the Turbo (Turbo S) and GT2 are hands down some of the best performing cars - ever. So the 911 will always reign supreme in the Porsche world. This is my problem. Even Porsche sees a benefit to moving the engine forward in the 991 (a little). I don't know... I'm definitely not smarter than the engineers at Porsche. I guess I doubt maintaining a certain platform is better - just because somebody said so decades ago.

I have the same problem with Corvette (suspension) and Mustangs (rear axle). You can spend a LOT of money perfecting old technology, or learn from new technology and work it in for less, and net better performance.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
the problem is that once its spec'd its going to cost you 75-80k thats crazy for a cayman!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
the problem is that once its spec'd its going to cost you 75-80k thats crazy for a cayman!
When I spec out a Cayman S for things I see standard for certain vehicles (bluetooth, heated seats, Navi system, etc...), I end up DEEP into the $90's.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK my vote goes to this one...
That's just sex on wheels!

ohhhhhhhhmygooooodness

Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
When I spec out a Cayman S for things I see standard for certain vehicles (bluetooth, heated seats, Navi system, etc...), I end up DEEP into the $90's.
That's correct. Maybe Porsche is trying to separate folks wanting a GT cruiser from those really looking for a prime handling speedster.

So the pampered kid or trophy wife gets a base 991 for around $100K, and the weekend racer gets a loaded Cayman S for about the same price.

One way it makes some marketing sense, at least to me.

Of course why a Boxster hardtop costs more than a Boxster cab is entirely another matter. Probably because the cab came first, just like the 911 coupe was first.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
mtbscott is infamous around these partsmtbscott is infamous around these parts
I dunno. I priced out a pretty nice 981 Cayman S with more options than my 991 has and came out about $77K. Of course there are some apples and oranges at play here, as some stuff that's optional on the Cayman is standard on the 911 like PCM and Xenon's.
If the 981 had already been on the ground when I purchased my 991 in October I might have been torn. There are pros and cons to each, I feel lucky to have owned both.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!! That is a bad MF!!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
My son has a Caymen and sent this to me. I still like the look of my 991, but I think the new Caymen is a great looking car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/los_angeles/2012/1211_2013_porsche_cayman/

Last edited by Gene G; 11-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Bloody hell!!!

I second.

All opposed?
How the hell can anyone vote opposed to that! All will be in favor!

I detest that wing....but those rear hips and that wide front fender are just completely 100% supercar.

I look at my 911 next to that and think how plain my 991 looks. Crap.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Well, damn... I love that Cayman.

I think it just became another GT cruiser... At 2950lbs, a Cayman S w/PDK!!! That interior looks wonderful.

I'm not 100% sold on those taillights, but just about everything about that car is phenomenal.

Well done, Porsche.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
991... still the best looking porsche. but... the new Cayman comes really close. Though... i still like the look of the boxster more than the cayman.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bokchoys
991... still the best looking porsche. but... the new Cayman comes really close. Though... i still like the look of the boxster more than the cayman.
At that level - you're splitting hairs... It's like choosing which 458 Italia looks better, the coupe of the spider. Personally, I prefer the 458 Spider, so I can see why you'd have a preference towards the Boxster.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !

Wow wow wow...Bloody hell!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mtbscott
some stuff that's optional on the Cayman is standard on the 911 like PCM and Xenon's.
I think in 2013 it's outrageous to sell any car for $50k or $60k without a NAV or Xenon's.

Separately, did anyone else notice that the Cayman continues to be unavailable with sunroof? Wise move by Porsche -- I personally know a few guys who've bought 911's that would have bought Caymans if that option was included.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Cayman Best Looking Porsche of All?