Problems with buying new 991 with 600 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Problems with buying new 991 with 600 miles?

Looking to close a deal this week on a new 991. Problem is that the car has 600 miles; just never registered. Any issues I should be worried about? Getting a great deal so don't think I can squeeze them a bit more on price. My guess is that the car was test driven a few times or used as an "executive car". Anything in particular I should be looking for or worried about? Not really concerned if car was driven hard as the car has new warranty and driving the car hard is not going to make the engine explode. thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
I would run a Carfax check on the VIN

Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Get them to throw in a CPO for free. They may say it can't be done bc it was never titled, but trust me they can do it.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
I agree with KonaKai. Get a proper reading for free. Read up on how to read those things too!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like ''manager's car'' for awhile. or dealer-demo. really all dealers can do is to give u a killing deal. they can't make it a CPO car if it's not used to begin with. i wouldn't worry much if the condition check out ok. just make sure the car hasn't seen tracks. have the service dept check if there's any stage of over-rev stored in the ECU. other than that i don't think there's much to worry about.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM
00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough
If this a PDK car, will the software allow for any stage over-revs? I thought that the PDK software will eliminate any over-revs....
All you can do it get a huge discount from msrp.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 20C4S
sounds like ''manager's car'' for awhile. or dealer-demo. really all dealers can do is to give u a killing deal. they can't make it a CPO car if it's not used to begin with. i wouldn't worry much if the condition check out ok. just make sure the car hasn't seen tracks. have the service dept check if there's any stage of over-rev stored in the ECU. other than that i don't think there's much to worry about.
Lots of good advice here, but 20C4S has an excellent point to look at the ECU.

ChuckJ

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Make sure it wasn't a press car used for magazine testing and such.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the quick responses. Car is PDF so not worried about overrevs as the computer would not allow a mechanical over rev. I'm assuming car had some spirited driving with a Couple runs to redline and maybe launch control used a few times. Think the engine can handle it no problem and car has warranty as well.

My deal is already signed technically with a deposit placed and financing approved. Not sure how to go back and renegotiate. Maybe have them throw some things in from the parts department? Also the purchase is an out of state purchase.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
How would you know if the car was used for the Porsche driving events at tracks? I attended the one in the Denver area and these cars were driven hard and maybe abused a bit. What happens to these cars when they are driven between vents might be even more scary. Just something to think about.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
600 miles and not registered is considered a new car if it is purchased from a dealership, I believe. If it is being sold as a used car .. you need to ask some serious questions..

Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Given some of the points raised when the question of buying a fairly used Porsche arises, one could easily deduce that no one should ever consider buying an even slightly used machine.

I have seen posts where folks openly admit to flogging their brand new leased 911 like a rented mule from day 1, and really don't seem to care about the long term ramifications, given its lease status. While others baby theirs with regards to the break-in recommendations (which has also seen its fair share of contradictory posts).

As such, I am always surprised to see such vehement opposition and abundance of caution even when discussing the purchase of cars with as little a 200 miles on them.

If these cars are so sensitive that even a short burst above the recommended 4k rpm is a considered a death knell, then I'm not sure what else there is to say.

If any members here managed to arrange a test drive where they trashed the car to 6,7,8k rpm's for extended periods of time, I'd love to hear details on that "road" test. I for one already knew what these cars were capable of, so my test drive was for the purpose of feel and driveability, and not that of an unqualified test pilot.

There are stories posted on this and other forums about new 991's (<20 miles) dumping coolant, PDK, seal and even engine failures - on "brand new" cars.

My point being that there is no science behind the wisdom in purchasing a 991 off the lot. You will find both camps - new purchases that had serious problems within 48hrs of delivery, and used ones that have hummed along without a glitch ever since.

Research what you can, take the ECU advice, enjoy the depreciation and go with your gut. Alternatively, have a dealer sign a declaration stating that the car was never tracked, press car etc.. If it wasn't, then they shouldn't take issue with such a declaration.

Best of luck..

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
If you can get a great deal you should go for it! Don't worry about the 600 miles, my last 911 I drove like a rental from day 1 and never had a problem, my current I pampered for over 1K miles and it broke down last week, so my lesson is, drive it like you stole it from day one and you will never have a problem

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
I bought a test driver and it had 700 miles on it. I have had not one issue with my car. No rattles, all service bulletin issues were all up to date (since it was a tester, I would imagine they wouldn't want to have any issues show up during a test drive). I have 8k now and it drives great.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I am considering a similar purchase - how much % did you get off MSRP?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems with buying new 991 with 600 miles?