911 order cancellation???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
bummedout is infamous around these parts
911 order cancellation???

So, after looking at 911's for a long, long time, I decided to pull the trigger and placed an order a couple of months ago. I was very, very excited about my order (although it was pretty boring compared to a lot of the cars pictured on this site!!). Went back to the dealership often just to look at other cars while I waited and was getting lined up for leasing or financing, speed film, tire insurance, etc. I found this site recently and was looking forward to becoming a member and posting pics of my shiny new car. Last week I got the VIN number (yahoo!) and then was told it was on the vessel early this week (yahoo again!).

Unfortunately, yesterday I got bad financial news at work and it appears I will be needing shoulder surgery over the next few months. Bad financial news combined with shoulder surgery that will hinder my driving for quite some time has left me with few options but to cancel my order.

I called the dealer and explained the situation but my story fell on deaf ears. "Follow through on the purchase or we keep the $5000". The dealer is selling these cars like hotcakes and my order was not out of the ordinary (moderately optioned like almost every other car that has been on their lot) so it should be easy to sell. So, I don't understand why they won't refund the deposit. I could easily be a customer again in the future if/when finances get back on track.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any thoughts from members of this enthusiast forum?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bummedout

So, after looking at 911's for a long, long time, I decided to pull the trigger and placed an order a couple of months ago. I was very, very excited about my order (although it was pretty boring compared to a lot of the cars pictured on this site!!). Went back to the dealership often just to look at other cars while I waited and was getting lined up for leasing or financing, speed film, tire insurance, etc. I found this site recently and was looking forward to becoming a member and posting pics of my shiny new car. Last week I got the VIN number (yahoo!) and then was told it was on the vessel early this week (yahoo again!).

Unfortunately, yesterday I got bad financial news at work and it appears I will be needing shoulder surgery over the next few months. Bad financial news combined with shoulder surgery that will hinder my driving for quite some time has left me with few options but to cancel my order.

I called the dealer and explained the situation but my story fell on deaf ears. "Follow through on the purchase or we keep the $5000". The dealer is selling these cars like hotcakes and my order was not out of the ordinary (moderately optioned like almost every other car that has been on their lot) so it should be easy to sell. So, I don't understand why they won't refund the deposit. I could easily be a customer again in the future if/when finances get back on track.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any thoughts from members of this enthusiast forum?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
It depends on what you signed. If it was standard, then they can keep your money. Good faith goes a long way, but they are in a business of making money.

Good luck!

(Welcome to 6speed, wish your first post was for pics)

Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
waller is infamous around these parts
Deposits on cars are normally refundable. For $5,000, it's worth your time to ask someone knowledgable about GA law on this.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...r-used-vehicle

Be sure before you sign! Unlike some other purchases, there are few remedies for car-buyer’s remorse (that is, changing your mind). Contrary to a popular rumor, there is no cooling-off period or statutory right to cancel a vehicle purchase contract, and in fact very few dealers will agree to allow you to cancel. In essence, once you have signed the contract, you have bought the vehicle, even if you haven’t yet driven it off the dealer’s lot.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Couple suggestions:
A letter from your employer and doctor might help (not that they don't believe you, but when it's staring them in the face, it may help).
As a last resort, you might bargain for some free service on your existing vehicle or at least credit the $5k towards a future purchase.
Lastly, if it's not too painful, watch and see if your car sells, which would help make your case for a refund.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
I want to wish you good luck and hope things turn around for you soon. There is nothing for them to lose by refunding your deposit. I understand it is just business, but it is a service business, and flexibility goes a long way. Most likely they will end up with a customer for life by helping you out, plus all the referral from you.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Check with a local lawyer. Many times these contracts provide for you to lose your deposit if they can't sell the car for at least the amount of your purchase price.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Darthvader
http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...r-used-vehicle

Be sure before you sign! Unlike some other purchases, there are few remedies for car-buyer’s remorse (that is, changing your mind). Contrary to a popular rumor, there is no cooling-off period or statutory right to cancel a vehicle purchase contract, and in fact very few dealers will agree to allow you to cancel. In essence, once you have signed the contract, you have bought the vehicle, even if you haven’t yet driven it off the dealer’s lot.

Thank you for providing the legal information.

I would understand the reluctance to make the refund if I had ordered a car that was not very sellable (with lots of options or one of a kind colors), but my order was very generic. Also, they did not have to buy an "additional" car--it was simply part of their allocation. In essence, they will likely sell the car quickly at a nice profit and pocket my $5000 as additional profit. They are definitely within their rights to keep the deposit, but they are not required to do so.

I know its a long shot, BUT....anyone on the forum in the market for a moderately optioned base platinum silver 991??? PM me if you would like details.

Last edited by bummedout; 12-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear of your situation. It has been my understanding that a Porsche order deposit is generally non-refundable if you cancel the order, and I was informed of this also through my dealer a while back.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
Check with a local lawyer. Many times these contracts provide for you to lose your deposit if they can't sell the car for at least the amount of your purchase price.
Thank you for the advice. However, I don't have the energy or desire to head down any legal paths.

Has anyone gotten a deposit back on a car from a dealer that was simply trying to do the right thing??

Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about that. A real bummer.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Not sure how big the dealership is nor the ownership and if they have other dealerships. I am wondering because if they are a large scale operation then don't stop at the local level. Go meet the CEO and let him humanize you through physical contact. When they see the person behind the money they can sometimes relate and be a human in return. I tell my son all the time never give up and NEVER let the bastards get you down.

Originally Posted by bummedout
Thank you for providing the legal information.

I definitely understand that they are entitled to keep the deposit if they choose to do so. Just hoping that they will have a bit of compassion due to significant changes in my situation since I placed the order.

I would understand the reluctance to make the refund if I had ordered a car that was not very sellable (with lots of options or one of a kind colors), but my order was very generic. Also, they did not have to buy an "additional" car--it was simply part of their allocation. In essence, they will likely sell the car quickly at a nice profit and pocket my $5000 as additional profit. They are definitely within their rights to keep the deposit, but they are not required to do so.

I know its a long shot, BUT....anyone on the forum in the market for a moderately optioned base platinum silver 991??? PM me if you would like details.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Sorry to hear about this.
Look at it as a cheap way to get out of a financial headache... take care of your health and use this experience as fuel for the fire.

Everything happens for a reason, I truly believe that.
I know it's somewhat over used but... If it doesn't kill ya it will only make you stronger.
From personal experience I've found this to be true.

Good luck!
Good advice and I agree that all things work together for good in the end. Just hoping that this might turn around with a deposit refund before all is said and done!

Originally Posted by KonaKai
Couple suggestions:
A letter from your employer and doctor might help (not that they don't believe you, but when it's staring them in the face, it may help).
As a last resort, you might bargain for some free service on your existing vehicle or at least credit the $5k towards a future purchase.
Lastly, if it's not too painful, watch and see if your car sells, which would help make your case for a refund.
Good advice.

I have a letter from my employer and could definitely get one from the doc. Maybe I will call them tomorrow to see if it will help.

Last edited by bummedout; 12-06-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Not sure how big the dealership is nor the ownership and if they have other dealerships. I am wondering because if they are a large scale operation then don't stop at the local level. Go meet the CEO and let him humanize you through physical contact. When they see the person behind the money they can sometimes relate and be a human in return. I tell my son all the time never give up and NEVER let the bastards get you down.
Good idea. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Go meet the CEO and let him humanize you through physical contact.
This is a great suggestion. The CEO is much more likely to bend the rules than some sales guy. I'd actually go even further and try the owner who's even more likely to weighh the ethics against the profits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 order cancellation???