PSE retrofit doable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
billkam is infamous around these parts
Tips

Thanks much for the pictures. I have the same color car by the way. I love it!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
First time I've heard that PSE improves the torque curve...did this info come from porsche? If not, can anyone confirm this from another source?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Anyone have pic of hp/torque curve with and without PSE - preferably on a 3.8 engine

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
First time I've heard that PSE improves the torque curve...did this info come from porsche? If not, can anyone confirm this from another source?
Porsche booklet setting forth differences between 997 and. 991 makes that claim. The improvement - if any - Is marginal. It's not a GTR. If you want a torque monster you've bought the wrong car. N

Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 AM
viper3838 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SxxB
I know that there were was a way to retrofit PSE on 997. Its pricy if done via retrofit kit, but once in a while someone is selling their PSE mufflers on ebay, which makes for an opportunity to upgrade on the cheap. Installation of exhaust is easy, but getting vacuum line for the valves and a way to actuate them is probably the more difficult part. On 997, there was a company called Carnewal that offered a small remote fob to turn on PSE.

Personally, I think that PSE is too expensive of an option considering that Porsche is basically just throwing in a couple of valves and a button. But if I could get PSE parts on the cheap on ebay, I would love to take this on as a fun DIY project. What I don't want, is to buy the PSE and end up not being able to make it work.

So, does anyone know if this can be done as a DIY? Do all three mufflers need to be replaced or just side or center ones?
The main component of the PSE is the center muffler swap. If u don't install the button and valve actuator system to turn the pse on and off, then the valves on the pse stays naturally open, meaning you will have the original factory porsche pse in loud mode at all times. Without bothering to install the button this is definitely DIY doable and bonus if u can buy the pse center for cheap. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 AM
viper3838 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter

I am not sure that is going to work. I think they are spring loaded closed so knowing would be easy, if not I store mine on a lift so I could tell you pretty easily.

I think the ECU may change some mapping when you have PSE on so just holding the valves open may only be part of the equation.
For the pse to stay on all the time ie.loud mode, just disconnect and block the small air hoses going to the valves on the pse center muffler. This leaves the valves naturally open which bypasses some of the exhaust gas that were supposed to go to the side mufflers for direct exit out back to the Centre tailpipes thus creating a louder exhaust sound.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by rnl
Porsche booklet setting forth differences between 997 and. 991 makes that claim. The improvement - if any - Is marginal. It's not a GTR. If you want a torque monster you've bought the wrong car. N
Who said anything about wanting a torque monster???

Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Well who doesn't want one?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
wrong car for you then :-)

Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM
rnl
350 ponies are plenty for me.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Cracks me up, all the debates on how the Base and S are so terrible torque wise..

Then I compare the torque curves to older muscle cars I had when I was young.. Ford and Chevy small blocks that were in the 300HP range stock (actually my 69 351W ford was 290HP and 380 ftlbs torque.. These weren't big blocks but they had a lot of torque, and were more than enough to get us into trouble.. And when I look at the numbers there and compare to my S with 400HP and listen to the nonsense about how this engine is under performing..

To be fair, the torque and HP are applied at a higher RPM in a porsche engine.. It's just sort of the nature of less cylinders and lower displacement producing higher horsepower.. To do the same work gotta run at higher revs.. But somehow this undertorqued engine can get to sub 4 second 0-60, where my mustang couldn't..

I've just come to the conclusion that people don't really know how to compare a car with higher rev'ing engine to a lower reving V8 which produces it's HP and torque at lower RPMs. So they perceive it as less power and torque when it really isn't..

My old ford was never as smooth in a WOT 0-60 either, so I suspect the leads to a more subdued feeling..

Thing is when I was choosing S vs Base, I foolishly listened to "expert" people on the forums and ultimately picked the S because they worried me..

I'm pretty sure I would have been just fine with a base performance wise..

Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scatkins
Cracks me up, all the debates on how the Base and S are so terrible torque wise.. Then I compare the torque curves to older muscle cars I had when I was young.. Ford and Chevy small ....
Think of hp as torque at high rpm. HP tells you nothing about toque at low rpm, and thus nothing about the feel of the car in normal driving. So when you compare old school school high displacement cars which had a lot of torque at low rpm, they may feel mor fun to drive in normal situation than smaller displacement modern cars that make less torque but are able to maintain that torque at higher rpm. And vice versa

Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scatkins
Cracks me up, all the debates on how the Base and S are so terrible torque wise..

I'm pretty sure I would have been just fine with a base performance wise..
A 991 Carrera is just about as fast around a track as a 997S and both go way faster that anyone needs to go on the street. Its just a bit more so in a 991S.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
A 991 Carrera is just about as fast around a track as a 997S and both go way faster that anyone needs to go on the street. Its just a bit more so in a 991S.
Amen. My Base was great from the beginning and as it approached 20k miles it seemed to get more powerful as if the engine was fully broken in.

Torque? 6.7 L Powerstroke. Need I say any more?

Old 05-09-2022, 07:26 PM
Professorman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by viper3838
For the pse to stay on all the time ie.loud mode, just disconnect and block the small air hoses going to the valves on the pse center muffler. This leaves the valves naturally open which bypasses some of the exhaust gas that were supposed to go to the side mufflers for direct exit out back to the Centre tailpipes thus creating a louder exhaust sound.
Can anyone confirm if the PSE, without vacuum, is it in valve closed (normal mode) or valve open (loud mode) ?

I am retrofitting PSE to my 991.1 base Carrera.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE retrofit doable?