Option Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Option Opinions

Got my 2013 911S Coupe a couple of weeks ago.

I got it off the dealer lot because it had almost everything I wanted and more. I decided to accept the additional options because I didn't want to wait the 4 months to custom order and I didn't want the price increase. Got a good enough year-end deal and trade-in to justify it for me.

I thought I would offer my thoughts on the options included after the 1st 2 weeks of ownership with the understanding that I have not driven it hard yet as it is in the break-in period. (the car had 80 miles on it of which 25 where miles I had driven.)

The base color is Basalt Black which is what I wanted. I love it.

It has Black/Platium Grey full leather. I wasn't planning to order this or any full leather package but I really love it and think it is worth the money. The interior without leather is very nice but this is definitely a high end look.

It has Bose. I don't listen to music much so the sound is plenty good enough for my taste. I wanted it just because it seemed that most people would expect it if I ever sold the car. (I am 62 and may keep the car for the rest of my life)

It has the Premium Package Plus. I was just going to get the Premium Package not the Plus because I didn't perceive much value in the Entry & Drive, Seat Ventilation, and Interior Light Package for Rear. The Entry & Drive is really quite nice as I don't have to find the key and hit a button when opening the door. The hood release function doesn't seem to working and has actually popped open twice when I was washing the car and spraying the front end. (just a regular hose). If have tried the seat ventilation briefly and I can certained feel it. I might like this during the summer. I guess I am pretty happy to have the extra features from the Plus upgrade.

PASM Sport Suspension. Don't really see much value but as I say I haven't driven it hard. Except for an occassional track day I probably won't. Don't think I would spend the $890 for this if ordering custom.

Sport Exhaust System. Love this. My previous car was an 08 911S Cab. It didn't have a Sport Exhaust and it was just as loud, maybe louder, as this car with the Sport Exhaust. The PSE on the 991 is perhaps a little deeper. I am happy to have the PSE as I wouldn't want a sport's car without a great sound. Again, I have not had the car above 4,000 RPM yet so the sound may be even better at higher rev's. I don't always have the PSE on as I don't want to get so used that I don't notice it as much.

Steering Wheel Heating. I have turned it on once. Don't really see the benefit if you live in a warm climate as I do. Might be nice if you use the car for a DD and have to drive in the cold.

Park Assist Front & Rear. I hadn't planned to order this but I am happy I have it. It is most useful when backing up in a parking lot.

Sport Chrono. I have the 7MT. Not really sure there is much benefit with MT. Don't hear much difference with PSE, at least at lower revs. I might have ordered it just in case having it would allow me to get the Rev-Matching feature in the future. Sounds like that won't be the case.

Sunroof. I like it and was going to order it because it may be something that others would expect. I generally don't open it with our other cars. The Glass Roof might have been better but I wasn't sure about the look.

Folding Mirrors. Don't see the benefit unless you have a unique situation where you park in tight spaces. I try to avoid tight spaces where I might get dinged. I haven't used them and don't expect to. If they ever stopped working I wouldn't fix them.

Multi-Function Wheel. Wasn't planning to order it as I preferred the look of the Sport Design Wheel, but I am happy with it. Answering cell calls is easy and the look is okay with me after getting used to it.

Sport Design Front Fascia. This was the biggest thing the car had that I wouldn't have ordered. The fact that the car had it, and I really didn't want it, helped me get a good deal on the car. Basically, I don't think it looks that much different, certainly not for $3,000. Of course others may feel differently. I was also worried about scaping the bottom of the car as the Porsche website says the clearance is considerably less. That actually has not happened and in fact I think it is better than my previous 08 911S Cab in that regard.

Porsche Crest on Headrest. If you have a CAB, it might be nice. I don't think anyone will see it otherwise.

Deviating Carpet Color. Seems kind of expensive at $710 given it is the same carpet, just a different color, but I love the look. It is the same color as the dash board area and I really can't imagine the car otherwise if you are going to get the two-tone interior. I hadn't planned on ordering it even with the two-tone but I am very glad it was included on this car.

Colored Wheel Caps. Probably would have ordered them as the price is minimal. They look kind of nice and I had them on my previous two Porsches.

For those of you looking to order a custom configuration, I hope this helps.

Also, I just had the Nano-Fusion clear bra product from Avery-Dennison installed and it looks great although I can't speak to how it compares to others.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
me too, no patience to wait for an order..

I wouldn't have ordered the natural leather, but now.. it's one of the things I truly love about the car. Just going to the grocery is special. Love it! Congrats on your 991.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Congratulations, gulrey22!!!! Enjoy your new ride and thanks for your thoughts.

I'm kind of amazed how many of us more chronologically experienced guys like this sports car. How much did the refinement over your 997 count in making your decision?

ChuckJ

Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Good lesson for those of us that obsess over multiple configurations that we're never certain about anyway. Excellent review, Gulrey22

Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Fabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gulrey22

Folding Mirrors. Don't see the benefit unless you have a unique situation where you park in tight spaces. I try to avoid tight spaces where I might get dinged. I haven't used them and don't expect to. If they ever stopped working I wouldn't fix them.
It seems no one seems to mention that the folding mirrors also have lights in them. Im pretty sure the non-power folding mirrors dont have this. Having lights on the side of the car pointing down is a pretty great thing to me.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Fabolous & ChuckJ

Fabolous. I had not noticed the lights on the folding mirrors. Haven't really driven it at night yet. I will have to look for it as it sounds kind of cool!

ChuckJ. I only had the 08 997S Cab for 7 months. I had it over to the dealer probably 6 times for noices with the roof. I don't like noices. Everytime I was at the dealer I saw the new 991. Took test drives several times. I love the higher position of the stick shift. The slightly lower, wider look is appealing to me. The ride quality is much less harsh but still very precise. The Power Steering Plus feature, (another option I forgot to mention) is wonderful in my view. I had to have it. Should have gotten it to begin with but I was coming from an 2006 Boxster S that I had purchased new and the jump to the 991 seemed too much. Trading the 997 so soon made the overall cost even higher but that 991 just drew me in. I am 62, no time to waste. The new one is a coupe. Didn't want to take a chance on more noices. I never opened the roof anyway. I don't really like the sun on me and I stress over the roof breaking down if used too much. Probably kind of stupid, but that is the way it is.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Glad you're happy with everything. I also chose a car that I hadn't originally planned on. Really glad I did, as I love the looks of the Sport design package and glass sunroof.

The rev-matching was an unseen gift that I'd discovered by accident.

Enjoy your car!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gulrey22
Fabolous. I had not noticed the lights on the folding mirrors. Haven't really driven it at night yet. I will have to look for it as it sounds kind of cool!

ChuckJ. I only had the 08 997S Cab for 7 months. I had it over to the dealer probably 6 times for noices with the roof. I don't like noices. Everytime I was at the dealer I saw the new 991. Took test drives several times. I love the higher position of the stick shift. The slightly lower, wider look is appealing to me. The ride quality is much less harsh but still very precise. The Power Steering Plus feature, (another option I forgot to mention) is wonderful in my view. I had to have it. Should have gotten it to begin with but I was coming from an 2006 Boxster S that I had purchased new and the jump to the 991 seemed too much. Trading the 997 so soon made the overall cost even higher but that 991 just drew me in. I am 62, no time to waste. The new one is a coupe. Didn't want to take a chance on more noices. I never opened the roof anyway. I don't really like the sun on me and I stress over the roof breaking down if used too much. Probably kind of stupid, but that is the way it is.
Very similar thinking to mine with my 2007. And to me, the 991 is not only more refined, but has a higher performance and better gas mileage.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 12-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabolous
It seems no one seems to mention that the folding mirrors also have lights in them. Im pretty sure the non-power folding mirrors dont have this. Having lights on the side of the car pointing down is a pretty great thing to me.
They illuminate a lot, too.