991 in Africa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Wow what a perfect setting to enjoy your 991 in!
Thanks for sharing!
Now you know why Porsche favours South African roads for their new model testing.

You may recall a video from Porsche last year where they show some of the testing done here. In particular they show a 991 driving next to a white, long beach and the commentator says something like "the car is tested in the harsh climate of the Western Cape...".
When my wife and me first saw this part we nearly fell off our chairs. That road is nearly within walking distance from where I am typing this.
Harsh climate ??? What a load of hogwash. These guys where having FUN here. Here is a picture of that exact same road taken from inside my 991.

This road follows much of the northern coast of what is called "False bay". The only hazzard you may face is a sunburn !

Rainier

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Thank you for sharing the drive and pics. Just wonderful.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Rainier,

After reading these amazing and beautiful posts, I have concluded that you do not exist. Clearly you are the virtual love-child of Matthias Muller and Nadeli Pandor, concocted to sell Porsches and South Africa to the rest of the world. The clinching piece of evidence for me is the reference to your wife. Nobody has a wife who will sit through drives like that AND take pictures. The man in the pictures is clearly an actor hired for the shots. It's ok, however, your secret is safe with me!

Keep the posts coming!

jnscolo

Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jnscolo
Rainier,

After reading these amazing and beautiful posts, I have concluded that you do not exist. Clearly you are the virtual love-child of Matthias Muller and Nadeli Pandor, concocted to sell Porsches and South Africa to the rest of the world. The clinching piece of evidence for me is the reference to your wife. Nobody has a wife who will sit through drives like that AND take pictures. The man in the pictures is clearly an actor hired for the shots. It's ok, however, your secret is safe with me!

Keep the posts coming!

jnscolo
Well, funny enough - my wife (she does exist) thought the same - she thinks I should rather work for the tourist board.
Unfortunately holidays are over so there is less driving and taking of pics as I am back at work. But they will still trickle in. I absolutely need to do some pics of Franschhoek pass - that one has A1 roads and feels like a racetrack with plenty switchbacks and corners made to test you (and the car). On weekends it is frequented by a variety of fast cars and bikes - but often a slow tourist will insist on driving his rented chevy spark at 15mph with almost no overtaking opportunities.
I have driven this one many times now but have failed to do pictures as you can't see much of the road at any one point due to the landscape. I want to go and take my plane to do one or two nice aerial shots so the layout of the road comes through. Once I have that I'll put something together.

Rainier