991 in Africa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
991 in Africa

It has arrived a week ago after a looong 8 months wait and several order changes. Here it is, brand new, just left the dealer in one of the World's most scenic settings with Cape Town's Table Mountain as backdrop.

I ended up sticking with the white exterior which is pretty much a favourite here in South Africa as it reflects heat well and keeps the inside cool.
After several order changes I ended up with the two tone full leather interior as wise man says "you live only once" and the SPASM without PDCC after much reading up and forum comments. This was "dicey" - but so far I have had zero issues except for the front lip which scrapes on the driveway of both my homes. Careful approach angles however fixes that.

When I drove out from the dealer floor my first impression was "hey, they did not fit the SPASM". It's uncanny smooth. Firm yes, but what a ride ! You think it's PDCC that gives you the smooth ride ? Nope. This is epic.

Two tone gray and black leather goes well with the white exterior. I'm glad I opted for this just as the order was about to close.

What do you do with a 911 ? Yes, from the dealer floor - straight onto one of the best driving mountain passes - Franshoek pass. Here we have arrived at the top after tackling the perfect tarmac through a few miles of twisties in glorious scenery. The G-meter ? 0.8G lateral each way. Not bad for a first try. Certainly did not feel I was even near this. Wow, this is not just a car. Planted perfection with the PSE making sure you get the idea. Done this pass now three times in the week since I got the car. This brings a grin to my face - a big one !

Ah yes, it's practical too. Sort of. The trunk after a first shopping run - yes, you guessed it. Some painting to do around the house.

Guess what I'm doing when I'm not painting ?

Just over 1000 miles in 7 days - despite XMas requiring me to be around the house, you know - family and all that. That's tough...

No mention in the user manual about a 4200 RPM limit in the "running in section". The dealer just said: "keep it under 4500 or so below the first 600 miles - before you push the sport plus button - which I did at 600 miles EXACTLY.
Awesome - what can I say...

Only gripes: Some rattles and squeaks - need to get these looked at. And that stupid auto stop start button. It does not remember its last setting. I hate it.
As for the rest - perfection.

SPASM+5mm spacers, no PDCC - I recon that's the way to go if you have the roads to enjoy this. I was going to rant about the steering. But I think I have had a light bulb moment going up that pass again - I actually like this more than the brilliant but lively steering of my MX-5. All the feedback you ever wanted - when you need it and then without tearing the wheel out of your palms. The lasting impression is that of incredible accuracy even when pushing the limits.

Rainier

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Nice interior. After 2 months driving my white with black interior, I began to ask myself "what was I thinking when selecting full leather in black?"

Enjoy your ride.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Oh my they put the steering wheel on the wrong side!!!

Enjoy, it's a beauty.
Since my last visit to the dealer the stupid auto start button seems to stay at the last setting selected. I am not certain if this is a software upgrade or an entry and drive key memory thing

Last edited by rnl; 12-30-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Congratulations! The car looks beautiful and I'm happy that you're thrilled with it.

Thank you also for sharing the pics.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Haku; 12-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Sammy72 is infamous around these parts
Great to see you have finally got your Christmas present! It is gorgeous and have fun with it!!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
1mirage has a spectacular aura about1mirage has a spectacular aura about
Congrats!

Great looking car! I just got mine on Thursday and its great! By the way my stop start is programmed to be off and works great. For any changes in your settings, seats, or stop start button always press memory 1 and 3. Works for me. Lots of reading in the manual and can do more than i thought. Enjoy the car and happy driving! I Love the ride too!

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Very classy color combo. Re Sport PASM, 5mm spacers, no PDCC- the right stuff.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations on the ride! And thanks for the great writeup! I've never been to South Africa, but the photo with the table mountain in the back now really wants me to go

As always, black/gray interior is formidable.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Nice ride! congrats!

are there plenty 991s in Cape Town or its rare?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice build! Enjoy.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey Rainier, I remember seeing you around when the 991 section first opened, it sure has been a long wait but I'm glad you finally have your ride!!!

Congrats!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Sweet Ride! Congratulations.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
Beautiful car and you live in a city with terrific roads for a 911. I believe the start/stop is controlled with the driver memory settings. I turned that function off when I took delivery and it has remained off (automatically) since then.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful Car!! I'm sure it will look incredible next to your plane. Absolutely Love the 2-Tone Interior.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fester
Nice ride! congrats!

are there plenty 991s in Cape Town or its rare?
Well, I don't have the numbers but one of the reasons my wait was so long is that the South African allocation for 991s was taken up at the time I placed my original order (early May). Judging by the numbers I do know we take around 10% of the production (we also are the biggest customers for AMG Mercs and Bimmers).

There are never 991 models for sale on the dealer floor and don't even think of asking for a discount (that is considered rude ).

All this despite the fact that we have to pay significant import duties and taxes on these toys.

An airbase in Cape Town was the official, World wide launch venue for the 991 (there are some videos floating around on the web) and of course much of the testing of new models gets done here.

Yes, we are very fortunate to have an abundance of great driving roads in perfect conditions. Many of these roads feel like they have been made with a 911 in mind...

Rainier

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 in Africa