What's the over/under on a targa announcement in Detroit this month?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
tahoe_joe has a spectacular aura abouttahoe_joe has a spectacular aura about
What's the over/under on a targa announcement in Detroit this month?

Wanted to get people's thoughts on likelihood of Porsche announcing a 991 Targa at the North America auto show in Detroit this month. Have seen some "rumor" articles about this in December, but have not seen any discussion here.

I am working through some options on a 991s order right now, and holding back to see if a Targa gets announced. Ideally a 2WD Targa, I don't need the 4WD and don't want to pay for 4 + Targa premium.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I think its coming either in Jan or March - not sure exactly. The 2 new models are going to be the GT3 and Targa (not sure which 1st) then I think its Turbo time...

I am pretty certain the Targa will only come in 4WD variant. I already miss mine and looking forward to the announcment!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
any technical reason the targa only comes in 4wd? curious as to why they didn't offer it in 2wd in the 997, and perhaps not in 991?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tahoe_joe
any technical reason the targa only comes in 4wd? curious as to why they didn't offer it in 2wd in the 997, and perhaps not in 991?
Technical ?
Sort of - more like technical accounting. P figures if you want the Targa badly enough you'll spring for some "voluntary" options...
Clever those Germans are.

Rainier

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rainier
Technical ?
Sort of - more like technical accounting. P figures if you want the Targa badly enough you'll spring for some "voluntary" options...
Clever those Germans are.

Rainier
Yeah I think that's most of it. There is also some logic that the Targa (at least the 996/997 designs) is for people who want a cabriolet experience but live in colder climates, hence choose to compromise some open air for the insulation that the sliding glass affords. And the logic would follow that those colder weather drivers would choose AWD.

Now that the cabs have magnesium roof panels, I'd say that argument goes out the window, but if I were betting on it, I'd say it will still be AWD only, for the reason Rainier points out. *amn you Porsche won't you ever give our wallets a break!

BTW Rainier -- your car looks amazing. Drive it in good health!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
neeko877 is infamous around these parts
I'm really excited for the Targa and also really hope it comes in 2wd!

My logical mind says that a near convertible experience is best in hotter climates so who needs AWD in Los Angeles for example!?!?

I am holding out to see what happens but if it's AWD then i'll probably go C2S with glass moonroof.

Hopefully Porsche will realize that some potential buyers will be turned off by lack of a rear wheel drive only option...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by neeko877
I'm really excited for the Targa and also really hope it comes in 2wd!

My logical mind says that a near convertible experience is best in hotter climates so who needs AWD in Los Angeles for example!?!?

I am holding out to see what happens but if it's AWD then i'll probably go C2S with glass moonroof.

Hopefully Porsche will realize that some potential buyers will be turned off by lack of a rear wheel drive only option...
fingers crossed. don't know how much longer i can wait to order something, one way or another.