New 991 best of both worlds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
If you like driving with the music at medium to high volume levels then the Base stereo sucks, I would get the Bose.
I dont use the sunroof but consider it a must for a car at this price point, only problem is that it rattles like crazy.... ugh! Whats wrong with this Germans? Same thing happens in my Cayenne. Only Japanese cars seem to have rattle-free sunroofs.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
If you like driving with the music at medium to high volume levels then the Base stereo sucks, I would get the Bose.
I dont use the sunroof but consider it a must for a car at this price point, only problem is that it rattles like crazy.... ugh! Whats wrong with this Germans? Same thing happens in my Cayenne. Only Japanese cars seem to have rattle-free sunroofs.
My BMW is also rattle free!

I'm kinda bummed out with you post galion that Porsche sunroof rattles. Hope that they address this issue-I'm going to be pissed!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
flyinbrian31 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
I think I am sold on going with the Bose system now but I think I am still going to go without the sunroof. I have had one in almost every car that I have own and rarely use it, I also in my opinion do not like the execution of it by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Fester
My BMW is also rattle free!

I'm kinda bummed out with you post galion that Porsche sunroof rattles. Hope that they address this issue-I'm going to be pissed!
My last three BMW sunroofs have been rattle free too.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
Multi Function Steering Wheel IMO. There is at least one thread on this topic and you can see why some recommend it and others prefer the Sport Design Steering Wheel.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by KevinC
Multi Function Steering Wheel IMO. There is at least one thread on this topic and you can see why some recommend it and others prefer the Sport Design Steering Wheel.
Funny, I just got done reading that thread. I do like the MF wheel with the carbon fiber option but gets pretty pricey.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
You may have just read this thread, but it is the one I was referring to.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eel+preference

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by KevinC
You may have just read this thread, but it is the one I was referring to.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eel+preference
Thank you, yep that is the one. It's crazy how Porsche does these options, I have changed things around now I don't know how many times .

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Re sunroof, keep in mind also that if you track the vehicle, you will need to crack it open to stop the significant buffeting. Airflow through the windows alone doesn't help. There has been some chatter about fitting something onto the mirrors but for now it appears the sunroof open is the only solution.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Re sunroof, keep in mind also that if you track the vehicle, you will need to crack it open to stop the significant buffeting. Airflow through the windows alone doesn't help. There has been some chatter about fitting something onto the mirrors but for now it appears the sunroof open is the only solution.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Not sure how often I will track it but that is good to know.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
If you track it with PCA you are likely to get black flagged and told to run with both windows down and the roof securely closed. With a helmet on and the corners coming up, it is no big deal.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
In my area, neither the PCA or the BMWCCA wil let you track with the sunroof cracked open.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mtony
In my area, neither the PCA or the BMWCCA wil let you track with the sunroof cracked open.
Last season I tracked with the sunroof cracked at New Jersey Motorsports, Limerock, Watkins Glen, and Pocono -- all PCA events with different chapters. In each case, I approached the head of tech before the day started and explained the problem, who relayed it to the flaggers. In 3 cases that was all it took. In the fourth case, the head of tech insisted on seeing the problem firsthand, so I took him along on a few laps, and then he agreed.

I suggest couching the argument in safety terms instead of driver comfort/noise terms -- it's more unsafe to have a car shaking violently at 100+mph than it is to have a sunroof cracked open an inch. They also need to understand first that one or two windows open doesn't make any difference.

Last edited by KonaKai; 01-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flyinbrian31
I know there is a connection in the glove box but I have heard that there might be a connection in the center storage compartment, is this true?
There is not. Glove box is it.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I would be curious to see what fitting the 991 GT3 Cup mirrors would or wouldn't do to solve the buffeting:

Plus they look good, too...

Last edited by fbroen; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Last season I tracked with the sunroof cracked at New Jersey Motorsports, Limerock, Watkins Glen, and Pocono -- all PCA events with different chapters. In each case, I approached the head of tech before the day started and explained the problem, who relayed it to the flaggers. In 3 cases that was all it took. In the fourth case, the head of tech insisted on seeing the problem firsthand, so I took him along on a few laps, and then he agreed.

I suggest couching the argument in safety terms instead of driver comfort/noise terms -- it's more unsafe to have a car shaking violently at 100+mph than it is to have a sunroof cracked open an inch. They also need to understand first that one or two windows open doesn't make any difference.
Good move! Will do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991 best of both worlds?