Steering Wheel Choices...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Steering Wheel Choices...

From what I gather on the Porsche site:

Regular Sterring Wheel: Just regular with no paddle shifters

SportDesign Sterring Wheel: Same as regular except with paddle shifters and has a sportier look to it

Multifunction Sterring Wheel: Has the controls for nav and communications on it.

The question I have is: Does anyone use the communications nav on the Multifunction steering wheel and does the multifunction sterring wheel have the PDK paddle shifters?
Which have people preferred?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Only the Sport Design wheel has actual paddle shifting. The others all use the funny push/pull buttons. I have true paddle shifting on my 996TT Cab and my BMW 650 and ordered them on the 991S X51 Cab that's being built for me this month. This way no confusion.

John in Vancouver

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frank69m
From what I gather on the Porsche site:

Regular Sterring Wheel: Just regular with no paddle shifters

SportDesign Sterring Wheel: Same as regular except with paddle shifters and has a sportier look to it

Multifunction Sterring Wheel: Has the controls for nav and communications on it.

The question I have is: Does anyone use the communications nav on the Multifunction steering wheel and does the multifunction sterring wheel have the PDK paddle shifters?
Which have people preferred?
You can install one of the aftermarket paddle shift kit if you absolutely wants both the paddles and the MFC:

1. Techart paddle shifter
http://sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=274

2. Champion Motorsport shifter
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-shifters.html

Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
I find the sport steering wheel to be the best looking. It breaks up the interior color, and since all the controls are within easy reach, I do not miss them not being on the steering wheel. The sport wheel is very comfortable and find myself driving with both hands on the wheel even with the MT.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i like the multi function as i shift only with the gear shift: it is in a perfect position from the steering wheel.

i use the multi function tools most of the time and it is the only one that is heated, though that option may not be of interest to California

Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm wondering if the Muli-function steering wheel is like my Cayenne...Does it have the push button shifters?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
juliof16c is infamous around these parts
Sport Wheel

I like my multi function wheel. Very useful thumb wheeling through your options on the display. It has the little thumb levers to shift and I don't especially like those. I'm an old guy and like to shift with the stick. The PDK is tremendous and I like making the motion.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by juliof16c
I like my multi function wheel. Very useful thumb wheeling through your options on the display. It has the little thumb levers to shift and I don't especially like those. I'm an old guy and like to shift with the stick. The PDK is tremendous and I like making the motion.
hmm...ok. Thanks. So it does sound like the Multi-functon steering wheel has those buttons to shift like my Cayenne. Interestng...oH well, I personally like the thumb wheel to change the front display, but would prefer the paddle shifters. Oh well, can't have it both.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
cbrett is infamous around these parts
i have the multifunction wheel. i almost when with the sport wheel with paddle shifters as i also think it looks better and the paddles have a really nice feel.

that being said i love the multifunction wheel and am so glad i went with it. the scroll features are super nice, and i think i use it way more than i would the paddle shifters. the "shift" buttons on the multifunction wheel aren't the best in my opinion, but i end up using the gear shifter more anyway.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM
salo65 is infamous around these parts
I too have the multi function wheel but while in California a few weeks ago, I stopped at the Techart showroom and bought their retrofit kit. Had it installed right there and now have the best of both worlds!

While not an alloy paddles like the Porsche version , the plastic feels good and seems to be durable. Besides, Techart is a good company and stands behind their product. I purchased the last one they had in stock that week as itmis their best seller!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by salo65
I too have the multi function wheel but while in California a few weeks ago, I stopped at the Techart showroom and bought their retrofit kit. Had it installed right there and now have the best of both worlds!

While not an alloy paddles like the Porsche version , the plastic feels good and seems to be durable. Besides, Techart is a good company and stands behind their product. I purchased the last one they had in stock that week as itmis their best seller!
i've thought about those. does the location of the paddles interfere with any of the other levers? it seems like a very tight space. the pics online look great though.

also, what's the rough cost? i haven't seen an official price on them.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
I had the sports design in my cayenne but never use the paddle, so didn't think I need it for 991. But I really miss it now, especially just came from a m3.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
salo65 is infamous around these parts
The paddles do not obstruct any other levers. They charge retai($795) plus installation. They did a great job!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by salo65
The paddles do not obstruct any other levers. They charge retai($795) plus installation. They did a great job!
thanks!

maybe i can use that as an excuse with the wife for a road trip to southern california this coming spring.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor
TAGMotorsports is infamous around these parts
The TechArt paddles are the way to go if you have the multifunction steering wheel. It fits perfectly onto your stock steering wheel and functions just like factory paddles would. It also replaces the push pull to Upshift on the Right, and Downshift on the left.

We have them IN STOCK ready to ship. PM me for special Pricing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Choices...