Brake squeaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Brake squeaking

One of the most annoying thing besides the sunroof rattle is the squeaking from my brakes. It happens only when I slow down leisurely. Doesn't happen with aggressive driving. Dealer says nothing they can do and I should drive more aggressively! Any input?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trovan
One of the most annoying thing besides the sunroof rattle is the squeaking from my brakes. It happens only when I slow down leisurely. Doesn't happen with aggressive driving. Dealer says nothing they can do and I should drive more aggressively! Any input?
I noticed that on ours as well, but it does not happen enough to a point that I want to scream. My wife had a car in the recent year that the brake squeal so bad that she eventually sold it after less than 2 years of ownership. It was not the only reason she got rid of it, but one of the two. It really took the fun of of the experience. We tried everything under the sun between dealer and shop, every trick posted on forum. I had other cars that the brake will squeal for a short period, but it went away.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You tried the repeated high speed stop routine?

ChuckJ

Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
I followed this procedure about 3000 miles ago and it fixed squealing and a very rough feeling on slow braking.

I can't remember how I got this link, if someone here posted this a while back: thanks and take credit please

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ds/post/Bed-in

I did not read the whole article, I just watched the video and then did the repeated stops procedure as mentioned by ChuckJ.

Last edited by Woodster; 01-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by Woodster
I followed this procedure about 3000 miles ago and it fixed squealing and a very rough feeling on slow braking.

I can't remember how I got this link, if someone here posted this a while back: thanks and take credit please

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ds/post/Bed-in

I did not read the whole article, I just watched the video and then did the repeated stops procedure as mentioned by ChuckJ.

I did not do this! But I will. I recalled similar problem on my cayenne, but not as bad and got better after few thousand miles. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You'll probably find you'll have to do the bedding every once in a while. I haven't had to use the full episode to get rid of the problem. There's also a brake squeal product that I had put on before the bedding.

ChuckJ

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
You just need to break in the brakes. Another way is to slightly touch the brakes while on the throttle as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
There is a know issue on the brakes. A note was sent to my dealer from PCNA that they know about this and DO NOT schedule any repairs until told to do so. This is from a very reliable fellow. I call EVERY WEEK complaining. There is no "breaking in these brakes". Period

Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I had the brake squeal at times and it did not bother me. It was a good sound to complement all the other noises this car makes. But the squeal went away at some point and I have not heard it in a long time. Have 20,000 kms on mine now.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM
bensonJ is infamous around these parts
I don't know if it applies to your car, but I just heard of a "workshop campaign" (not a recall) to replace rear brake pads and hardware. In fact, I'm not even sure if it is for curing squeaking problems. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
My car did that for the first few weeks. It seemed to have work itself out, and has not done it in a couple of months.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
If you want good braking power, you're going to be using compounds that create more friction. These compounds react differently at different temps.

Performance brakes make sounds. If you don't like the squeal, perhaps consider purchasing a less capable car.

There is only so much you can do. There are companies that sell "less noise" pads, but they are NOT to be used on the track, because they will go away quickly. However, for those that never actually push these cars, you may benefit from a less capable pad compound.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Yes, drive or at least brake more aggressively. No need to overdo it but brake a bit later and a bit harder than "normal". Or if you can brake harder earlier before a stop then release the brakes and as you get closer to the stopping point reapply the brakes.

The idea is to use the brakes harder. The typical braking technique of applying the brakes early and leaving them lightly applied as the car gradually slows down is an invitation to noisy brakes, and brakes that wear out quicker.

(As an aside I practice this more aggressive braking in both of my cars, have for years, and for instance the Turbo has over 102K miles on its original brakes. The brakes on the Boxster have been in service a long time but I can't recall when I last did the brakes.)

Last every once in a while -- a few times a year works for me -- wash the brakes. I do this at a carwash using the wash wand and its soap setting to throughly douse/soap the brake hardware -- rotor, caliper, and related hardware -- with soap then follow with a rinse and then a spotless rinse. This last setting has the water pressure much lower so I feel more comfortable getting the wand nozzle tip down closer to the pad/rotor area.

If the rotor is drilled you can use the wand and water pressure to "blast" the holes free of material. I've seen rotors on some cars with these holes nearly plugged up with dust that has built up. In this case you'll have to clear the holes that are not hidden by the pads then move the car to expose the dirty holes and clean those too.

The idea is to remove the heavy accumulation of brake dust/grime that settles on the piston boots and brake hardware. In the case of the former this dust "weighs" down the boots and this interferes with the natural tendency of the brake piston seals to slightly retract the piston and the pad away from the rotor.

Be sure you take the car out afterwards and use the brakes hard enough to get them hot enough to thoroughly dry the brakes. Putting the car away with wet brakes is asking for trouble.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The squeal is just the car crying because you are driving it like a grandmother!

Several possible solutions - bed the brakes, drive it like it was designed to be driven, or buy different brake pads.

You should hear the noise a new set of Pagids makes!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
My squeal is gone. Sometimes I miss it and sob uncontrollably in the middle of the night. I live day to day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake squeaking