Corvette C7 ... revealed in less than 54 minutes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
Also can't wait to see some 'first drive' reports as well as some C7 vs 991 battles.....should be interesting

Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
About the only complaint I haven't seen is that the rear end looks like a Panamera.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Just saw the leaked convertible. Looks much better.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
About the only complaint I haven't seen is that the rear end looks like a Panamera.
ha! that would be a REALLY low blow!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Great shape, but too many air vents. Hood? Rear quarter pannel? WHY??!!!! That said, props for not skimping on the interior and making it a plush car. I prefer the money be spent on performance.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aerogt3
Great shape, but too many air vents. Hood? Rear quarter pannel? WHY??!!!! That said, props for not skimping on the interior and making it a plush car. I prefer the money be spent on performance.
The hood vent carries air out of the radiator duct efficiently, the rear intake vents carry air to coolers for the transaxle and differential, and the vents in the back allow that air to exit- all actually work according to the engineers. Porsche and Ferrari have similar vents all over their race cars.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
It would be a little tedious to clean out all those vents, but it may reduce drag and increase download and cooling.

ChuckJ

Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
It would be a little tedious to clean out all those vents, but it may reduce drag and increase download and cooling.

ChuckJ
Well if I can fish the leaves out of the radiator openings, Vette owners can wipe their vents!!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frank69m
Only if you are a middle-aged white man in your 60's Those are the only people I see driving them.
Glad to hear I am "middle-aged" at 62. I expect "middle-aged white guy" is also the primary demographic for Porsche, at least for a new 991.

Note: I have a 2013 991 S but I think (from the pictures at least) the new Corvette is really nice looking. Wish it had been out before I purchased the 991 as I would have at least checked it out.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
manny_g is infamous around these parts
I think this car is going to surprise many...if people that saw this car did not know it was a corvette, they would probably think it was another european exotic. I wish the interior had better materials though. Another american car to watch out for is the new viper. The viper has been more refined with globs of horsepower. Finally american manufactures are realizing that there is a market for well made sport cars that can compete with their european rivals.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gulrey22
Glad to hear I am "middle-aged" at 62. I expect "middle-aged white guy" is also the primary demographic for Porsche, at least for a new 991.

Note: I have a 2013 991 S but I think (from the pictures at least) the new Corvette is really nice looking. Wish it had been out before I purchased the 991 as I would have at least checked it out.
For me, I came back to a 911 even though it was considerably more for two basic reasons:
1. The high torque at low RPM is unusable because you just spin the wheels or go into traction control. The issue here is that there isn't enough weight over the rear wheels.
2. Putting the engine up front means the driver is back near the rear wheels. It is really hard to get a comfortable ride when you're sitting over the rear wheels- especially with leaf springs.

These are acceptable issues if your budget limits you to a $55K car (which is why I had one when the kids were in college).

ChuckJ

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
For me, I came back to a 911 even though it was considerably more for two basic reasons:
1. The high torque at low RPM is unusable because you just spin the wheels or go into traction control. The issue here is that there isn't enough weight over the rear wheels.
2. Putting the engine up front means the driver is back near the rear wheels. It is really hard to get a comfortable ride when you're sitting over the rear wheels- especially with leaf springs.

These are acceptable issues if your budget limits you to a $55K car (which is why I had one when the kids were in college).

ChuckJ
ChuckJ so you are saying that the fabulous leaf spring is just not up to the task and gives a sub-optimal ride?? I must say I did not have that feel at all and that, in fact, that big V8 block in the front seemed to steer that car better than the Porsche, in a natural way instead of a more "computerized -I-tell-you-when-where-what" in the Porsche complete with electric steering. More torque, more driver input, more fun, more visceral sound without the need for a sound system to let you hear the engine. So I am thinking the New Vette is going to be a formidable competitor. Easy to buy, cheap to own, big ***** and a USA standard that finally made it for high-end sport cars. If GM dealers now just don't "******-it-all-up" with their mark ups, GM will have a winner.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Looking at the specs, it's going to be an awesome machine, looking at the quality, it's going to be a great car, looking at the performance, it's going to blow us away. I like the color combo's straight from the factory. The red and green colors are spot on. Just wished these run flats would not be standard. That sucks. Ohh ,and no START-STOP feature?? Yeah!!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by hroussard
ChuckJ so you are saying that the fabulous leaf spring is just not up to the task and gives a sub-optimal ride?? I must say I did not have that feel at all and that, in fact, that big V8 block in the front seemed to steer that car better than the Porsche, in a natural way instead of a more "computerized -I-tell-you-when-where-what" in the Porsche complete with electric steering. More torque, more driver input, more fun, more visceral sound without the need for a sound system to let you hear the engine. So I am thinking the New Vette is going to be a formidable competitor. Easy to buy, cheap to own, big ***** and a USA standard that finally made it for high-end sport cars. If GM dealers now just don't "******-it-all-up" with their mark ups, GM will have a winner.
GM's engineers have said that they used the 991 steering feel as the design goal for the C7 electric steering power unit that replaces the less efficient hydraulic system, and that the 991 chassis balance "feel" was the design goal to replace the "lump of iron" in the front feel and get a higher perceived quality ride. So they must have not agreed with your assessment. So you not like the C7. Others will find it being more competitive than ever.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
GM's engineers have said that they used the 991 steering feel as the design goal for the C7 electric steering power unit that replaces the less efficient hydraulic system, and that the 991 chassis balance "feel" was the design goal to replace the "lump of iron" in the front feel and get a higher perceived quality ride. So they must have not agreed with your assessment. So you not like the C7. Others will find it being more competitive than ever.
The only thing that tells you is that they are targeting the Porsche driver as a potential customer and guess what, I think they hit the mark. It also look as if, this time around, they had the engineers all work the same shift, it looks as if they talked , belonged to the same Union(s) and wanted to build one car. They have achieved a 50/50 balance on a big set of tires with a great suspension. What is there not to like. Ah yes, those run flats!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 ... revealed in less than 54 minutes