Automatic Rev matching on manual tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM
dbturbo2 is infamous around these parts
Automatic Rev matching on manual tranny

appreciate feedback from anyone that has the downshift rev match feature. Do you have to blip the throttle to initiate the rev match during a downshift, or does the rev match happen automatically when the clutch is engaged during a downshift?

Are you happy with feature and do you use it regularly or leave it disabled?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 AM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dbturbo2
appreciate feedback from anyone that has the downshift rev match feature. Do you have to blip the throttle to initiate the rev match during a downshift, or does the rev match happen automatically when the clutch is engaged during a downshift?

Are you happy with feature and do you use it regularly or leave it disabled?
The rev matching only happens when Sport Plus is engaged and it blips when you engage the clutch and it senses that you are downshifting into a lower gear.

Happy with the function. I use it about 50-75% of the time. The rest of the time the car is in Sport. It's a neat little function, especially so in combination with the other Sport Plus settings.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM
M5Ivan has a spectacular aura aboutM5Ivan has a spectacular aura about
Has anybody confirmed that this is also true for the 3.4?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
dbturbo2 is infamous around these parts
According to my dealer the rev matching is only available on the S model with SC. Sounds like it could possibly become an option on the 3.4 in 2014.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I don't have it on my 2033 CS 7 speed manual with sport chrono & Sport exhaust..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I drove a new C4S Manual w/ SC last week and it absolutely sold me on the 911 C4S. I haven't been much of a fan of the 991 from the launch, but it was growing on me. But this feature makes all the difference (to me):

1) For city driving, it makes those downshifts at intersections much easier to perform and a MUCH smoother ride for the passengers as there is NO jerkiness due to a poor downshift.
2) As great as it is to be able to heel/toe, that is a skill probably best suited for the track and not the street.
3) The throttle-blip is managed by the computer, so the EXACT throttle input is delivered for the needed engine speed. I don't care how good you are at Heel/Toe, you can't be as precise as this feature is.
4) Unlike PDK in Sport+, Sport+ with the Manual does not make the shifting very abrupt as you are still shifting the gears and delivering throttle input. S+ does make the throttle more sensitive, put the suspension in a firmer setting (which can be turned off) and opening the Sound Symposer...but it does not make the drive rougher...just more sensitivity to driver input.

If/When I move to a 991 C4S, it WILL be a Manual with Sport Chrono and I WILL drive it in Sport+ all but when my wife is in the car...which is rare.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Lebreeze is infamous around these partsLebreeze is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by m5_2010
I don't have it on my 2033 CS 7 speed manual with sport chrono & Sport exhaust..
Early 2013 build maybe? I thought the 2013's S with sports chrono had this feature.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I drove a new C4S Manual w/ SC last week and it absolutely sold me on the 911 C4S. I haven't been much of a fan of the 991 from the launch, but it was growing on me. But this feature makes all the difference (to me):

1) For city driving, it makes those downshifts at intersections much easier to perform and a MUCH smoother ride for the passengers as there is NO jerkiness due to a poor downshift.
2) As great as it is to be able to heel/toe, that is a skill probably best suited for the track and not the street.
3) The throttle-blip is managed by the computer, so the EXACT throttle input is delivered for the needed engine speed. I don't care how good you are at Heel/Toe, you can't be as precise as this feature is.
4) Unlike PDK in Sport+, Sport+ with the Manual does not make the shifting very abrupt as you are still shifting the gears and delivering throttle input. S+ does make the throttle more sensitive, put the suspension in a firmer setting (which can be turned off) and opening the Sound Symposer...but it does not make the drive rougher...just more sensitivity to driver input.

If/When I move to a 991 C4S, it WILL be a Manual with Sport Chrono and I WILL drive it in Sport+ all but when my wife is in the car...which is rare.
Could not agree more - its a very sweet feature! They also implemented it on my M5 (MT) but the problem is that its not "exact" because of the Turbo nature of the car. As a matter of fact I would not recommend ordering the new M5 in MT - the engine is just not suited for it. The DCT does a better job of hiding the Turbo challeges of the engine.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lebreeze
Early 2013 build maybe? I thought the 2013's S with sports chrono had this feature.
Rev-matching came standard in my 2013 911S with SC; it works quite well.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
wait i have a '13 base and mine has it i think, how would I know? are you guys referring to the little triangle icon?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
wait i have a '13 base and mine has it i think, how would I know? are you guys referring to the little triangle icon?
Drive it in Sport Plus mode, downshift gears and if the car blips the throttle for you to meet he revs of the lower gear, then you have it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I have heard conflicting reports of its existence on 2013 cars. Is it on any 2013 911's with SC and MT? Or certain models? Or after certain production dates?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I was under the assumption that it was all 991 MT's. It looks as I might be mistaken.

But one might wonder:

Why put a track feature on a S with SC, when people who track already do this? It seems as though who would benefit are those who do not already do this - i.e., those who don't track regularly (non-S or S without SC).

Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I was under the assumption that it was all 991 MT's. It looks as I might be mistaken.

But one might wonder:

Why put a track feature on a S with SC, when people who track already do this? It seems as though who would benefit are those who do not already do this - i.e., those who don't track regularly (non-S or S without SC).
What they really need to do is offer a way to disable it. My car will see plenty of track time and I would like the option to turn it off, while my heel and toe is not perfect, I still would like to do it when I choose in Sport Plus at the track.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STALKER
What they really need to do is offer a way to disable it. My car will see plenty of track time and I would like the option to turn it off, while my heel and toe is not perfect, I still would like to do it when I choose in Sport Plus at the track.
Interesting...

I wonder. Perhaps, there will NOT be a way to disable it, because rev matching may improve the life of the transmission.

I wonder what happens if you do it anyway - it seems as though if you blip, the ECU would override the input, using it's own program anyway. Allowing you to go through the motions, without causing any damage (for possible over rev or under rev during clutch reengagement).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Rev matching on manual tranny