Running in period.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
The European spec manual (which I have) does NOT give a RPM limit for break-in. The wording is as posted earlier.
My dealer just said "keep it below 4500 or so for the first 600 miles".

I tried that of course with more or less success, except for the occasional quick burst to 5000, perhaps 6000 when overtaking slower traffic or when accelerating out of mountain pass twisties.
After 600 miles I allowed the engine more of this and allowed the first red line shifts at about 1000 miles. While I used the PDK in auto most of the time I used the paddles to vary RPM during longer stretches of road.
During the first 50 miles or so after delivery I tried to load the engine hard without exceeding 4500 RPM.
I tried the first launch after the 3000 Km was done (duly documented in the below image).
The oil level indicator on the display is still in exactly the same position it was when the car was delivered. I have 3500Km on the clock now.
So far, no problems at all, even the squeeks and rattles have fixed themselves.
I'm happy, all is well.

Rainier

Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
they are given as "break-in hints" - which I've basically followed to the letter, so far.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rainier
The European spec manual (which I have) does NOT give a RPM limit for break-in. The wording is as posted earlier.
My dealer just said "keep it below 4500 or so for the first 600 miles".

I tried that of course with more or less success, except for the occasional quick burst to 5000, perhaps 6000 when overtaking slower traffic or when accelerating out of mountain pass twisties.
After 600 miles I allowed the engine more of this and allowed the first red line shifts at about 1000 miles. While I used the PDK in auto most of the time I used the paddles to vary RPM during longer stretches of road.
During the first 50 miles or so after delivery I tried to load the engine hard without exceeding 4500 RPM.
I tried the first launch after the 3000 Km was done (duly documented in the below image).
The oil level indicator on the display is still in exactly the same position it was when the car was delivered. I have 3500Km on the clock now.
So far, no problems at all, even the squeeks and rattles have fixed themselves.
I'm happy, all is well.

Rainier
Glad to hear someone else's oil indicator is stuck. I have 4800 miles and its only moved one block down- and that was a long time ago.

ChuckJ