2 year lease residuals is better than 3 year on 991 Base

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
bummedout is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
When my 2003 M3 was stolen (back in 2003) Market Value was more than I owed on the car. I pocketed the difference.

Typically you owe more on your remaining lease payments + residual value that the car's Market Value. That is what gap insurance is for, it insures the GAP between what you owe and what the car is worth. If you pay for the lease up front in full, you probably don't have gap insurance and you will lose the difference.

To the OP, if you want to use your Home Equity, don't lease the car because you are paying interest on the lease plus interest on your home equity. Use the home equity to buy the car in full. You will have a bigger interest deduction and you can keep the car as long as you want and put as many miles on it as you want. You will also have title to the car so you can sell it or trade it whenever you want, just make sure to pay your home equity in full when you sell the car

By definition, if you make a one pay lease, the market value will definitely be higher than the payoff for the majority of the lease. So, you will always get something out of it if stolen or totaled. EXACT same as if you bought the car for cash. No difference.

IF the market value falls below the remaining lease balance (ie: residual less unamortized interest), then the leasing company has the gap insurance and you owe nothing.

The only thing you "lose" in a one pay lease if the car is stolen or totaled is the "depreciation" that has occurred on the car. For example, you do a one pay lease on a $100k car for $30k. You total it one week after you buy it. If the market value fell by 10% when you drove it off the lot, the insurance company sends a check to the leasing company for 90K and they refund you $20k (your one pay lease payoff is $70k or 100k minus 30k). If you had paid cash or financed the car, you would have lost the same 10k. If you did a no cash down lease, you wouldn't be out a dime due to the gap insurance held by the leasing company. If you had put 5k down, you would be out the 5k.

Last edited by bummedout; 03-16-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:33 PM
gregikh is infamous around these parts
Also, I did check with Liberty Mutual, my ins comp and they told me that they would send me the check for the car, if it were to get stolen. It would be up to me to negotiate a settlement with PFS. The way I see it, if you prepay a lease, you can buy it out at any time between now and when the lease matures, the residual is set in stone. Should the car get stolen, you get full market value up until the car is stolen, so you should be able to pocket the diff between the residual and curr market value. If PFS gets the depreciation schedule correct, you should be able to pocket the diff and not be out of any money. I suspect that it can work either way, either for you or against you, but it would not be a major hit/gain either way. BTW all of this is for nothing, PFT does not want any prepaid leases.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
CONGRAT!!!! enjoy in good health and post some pix .

Originally Posted by gregikh
Guys, thanks for all your help. I went to a few dealers and they started competing with each other. I closed on a deal. The MSRP is 115,030. 27m lease with tax in the payment, 7500 miles per year for $1,359 per month. I built an excel calculator (very simple) and it looks like 8.25% off msrp, .0020 MF and 75% residual. Keep in mind NY tax is 8.875%. What do you guys think? This has the sports package on it. I love the tail, but now I'm a but worried that it might be a bit low to the ground for NY driving.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Min911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gregikh:3795204
Guys, thanks for all your help. I went to a few dealers and they started competing with each other. I closed on a deal. The MSRP is 115,030. 27m lease with tax in the payment, 7500 miles per year for $1,359 per month. I built an excel calculator (very simple) and it looks like 8.25% off msrp, .0020 MF and 75% residual. Keep in mind NY tax is 8.875%. What do you guys think? This has the sports package on it. I love the tail, but now I'm a but worried that it might be a bit low to the ground for NY driving.
Congrats! Can you provide your model details?

Did you have to put any money down, have a trade in or lease return? What is your total drive off?

I keep hearing some great deals but all on the east coast, any one has similar deals on the west coast?

Last edited by Min911; 03-17-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi Guys, did anyone get the tire and wheel warranty while leasing a car? Do they offer for 27m? What should I expect to pay? I leased the car from a dealer in NJ on rout 17.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Here it is. I'll be picking it up in a few days. Again, thans for all the help.
It's a 2013 Cabrio. with the following options
- Dark Blue Metallic
- Multi Function steering wheel
- ParkAssist (front & back)
- Wheen Caps color crests
- 20-inch S wheels
- PDK
- Premium package with 14 way sports seats
- BOSE audio package
- SportDesign Package

Total MSPR 115,030.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p-car1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	221619   Click image for larger version

Name:	p-car2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	221620  

Last edited by gregikh; 03-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 AM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
My car has sport pasm, so it's the same height as the one you're looking at. No problems in NJ and it isn't scraping where my 997.1 turbo scraped.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Min911, my deal is $1359/month for 27 month. Tax is in the payment (8.875%). Total drive off is about $1700 + 1st month. The $1,700 includes bank fee, doc and DMV fees.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by gregikh:3795428
Hi Guys, did anyone get the tire and wheel warranty while leasing a car? Do they offer for 27m? What should I expect to pay? I leased the car from a dealer in NJ on rout 17.
Thanks for the info. There is something about good deals coming out of NJ. Dealer name?

Did you do 27-mo because it was better deal than 24-mo? Are you a loyalty customer or conquest customer, and did you put any money down or use trade in to lower the payment?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM
The conquest discount was $2,400. I have a BMW X5 with 4 payments left. I took 27 months beacuse the resid went down by only 1% for 3 monhs of use and also, I get to drive the car for 3 months longer in the spring and part of the summer of 2015. When the summer is over, I give the car in and wait till the following spring to get a new one. There was no downpayment and no trade-ins. I thought it was a great deal for a 115k car.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Also, I did check with Liberty Mutual, my ins comp and they told me that they would send me the check for the car, if it were to get stolen. It would be up to me to negotiate a settlement with PFS. The way I see it, if you prepay a lease, you can buy it out at any time between now and when the lease matures, the residual is set in stone. Should the car get stolen, you get full market value up until the car is stolen, so you should be able to pocket the diff between the residual and curr market value. If PFS gets the depreciation schedule correct, you should be able to pocket the diff and not be out of any money. I suspect that it can work either way, either for you or against you, but it would not be a major hit/gain either way. BTW all of this is for nothing, PFT does not want any prepaid leases.
Doubt the insurance co would send a check to the owner....after all, if they
have a loss payee on the policy (if financed or leased) the proceeds go to whoever holds the title
& you work it out w/them

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
The dealer is Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ. Ask for Steve Zuretti.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by gregikh:3795462
I thought it was a great deal for a 115k car.
Tell me about it

So the $2,400 conquest rebate is all you use to drive it off?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Total money out of pocket was $3,353 which includes 1st month payment. the rest is doc fee, registation fee, bank fee and a bunch of other fees and one time taxes. There was no downpayment. He offered me the option of putting 2k down which would have reduced the payment by an dditional $80-$90 a month but I did not want to do it. In case I want to swap-a-lease it, I wanted to keep the upfron to as little as possible.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM
carsrmyvice is infamous around these partscarsrmyvice is infamous around these parts
Total money out of pocket was $3,353 which includes 1st month payment. the rest is doc fee, registation fee, bank fee and a bunch of other fees and one time taxes. There was no downpayment. He offered me the option of putting 2k down which would have reduced the payment by an dditional $80-$90 a month but I did not want to do it. In case I want to swap-a-lease it, I wanted to keep the upfron to as little as possible.
Well done sir. Night and day better than the first offer you received. Looks like a stunner. Enjoy it in the best of health. These lease deals on the 991 right now are fantastic. I just leased a c2 with 102k sticker for 1167 / month, 24 months, 18,000 miles per year, nothing but first months and fees. I am going to drive the wheels off! Coincidentally we both had a $2400 conquest from an x5 lease winding down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 year lease residuals is better than 3 year on 991 Base