991 GT3 info...rumours?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
PDK only? Makes sense. We'll see if this is still true.

Rear steering? No thanks. It may help with better handling. But it will definitely take some time to be able to extract that additional performance. While not being traditional, I could see a learning curve with this new feature. Initially, I hope this rumor doesn't make it.

1.5" wider than a C4? Hell yes!
If its PDK only, it'll for sure be a controversial topic of discussion for GT3 aficionados. Personally, I'd be ok with it.

Rear wheel steering, like most I'm ok with innovation and would give Porsche the benefit of doubt over this. Glad that they're thinking out of the box... if this will be an option.

Wider than C4. The previous pic I posted certainly looks to be wider. It may be the perspective. But yes 1.5" wider than a 4... for sure would be great.

I'm looking forward to the unveiling in just four weeks at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show (if thats to be believed).

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku
If its PDK only, it'll for sure be a controversial topic of discussion for GT3 aficionados. Personally, I'd be ok with it.

Rear wheel steering, like most I'm ok with innovation and would give Porsche the benefit of doubt over this. Glad that they're thinking out of the box... if this will be an option.

Wider than C4. The previous pic I posted certainly looks to be wider. It may be the perspective. But yes 1.5" wider than a 4... for sure would be great.

I'm looking forward to the unveiling in just four weeks at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show (if thats to be believed).
+1
+1
+1
+1

Re: PDK - it will always be controversial..., until all cars have updated transmissions that make the manual clutch pedal a thing of the past (like power windows or electric starters, and other crazy futuristic craziness).

Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku

I'm sure you've seen these already but I just can't get enough of looking at these... wow, just wow!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	porsche-911-gt3-spy-1_0.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	208881   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-Porsche-911-GT3-next-to-the-997-GT3-3.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	208889  
Attached Images    
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=Psycho Sid;3763036]I'm sure you've seen these already but I just can't get enough of looking at these... wow, just wow!!

I hadn't seen this one!!!!!!

Oh the temptation!!!! Open up the order books!

Are those the new mirrors they're talking about?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
[quote=Haku;3763042]
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I'm sure you've seen these already but I just can't get enough of looking at these... wow, just wow!!

I hadn't seen this one!!!!!!

Oh the temptation!!!! Open up the order books!

Are those the new mirrors they're talking about?
Hmmm good question...I don't think so the new mirror mounting I believe has a dual arm design instead of this one thicker one (similar to the 997 GT3 but attached to the door).
If I come across it I'll post it up.

EDIT...

Jeezzzzz I was wonering where I'd seen it.... doh! it's in the other images I posted of the GT3 Cup car LOL.
Here ya go, this is the new design of the mirrors!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 02-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by opnielsen
plus it will be 1.5 in wider then 4S.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Jeezzzzz I was wonering where I'd seen it.... doh! it's in the other images I posted of the GT3 Cup car LOL.
Here ya go, this is the new design of the mirrors!

and...

I can't take any more!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001-porsche-911-991-gt3-cup.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	208905   Click image for larger version

Name:	002-porsche-911-991-gt3-cup.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	208906  
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah it's going to be a beauty, I can't wait to see and hear her!
Re; body... it will have the same size shell as the C4S, turbo and GT2 so the 1.5" wider is over the C2S.
No Sir, my dealer said 1.5" over C4S for both GT3 and Turbo.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry - couldn't resist..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by opnielsen
No Sir, my dealer said 1.5" over C4S for both GT3 and Turbo.
This is also what I heard. All GT cars (GT3, GT2, RS) will the wider then the C4 and maybe the turbo but he was not sure about that Turbo. I must say that after driving the 991 for a bit the other day and having my M5 for a direct comparison; I almost and don't kill me here, feel like 991 is way more a GT car then the 997 was (felt like a better ///M3). It was definitely nimbler and more responsive then my car but compared to my Targa4S a more friendly DD then the 997 was. Still knew I was in a 911 but definitely not as raw as I was expecting. I am going to Camp4 in Montreal next week so will have more seat time and come back better feedback.

The reason I raise this point is because the 997.2 GT3 I drove was barely sustainable on a day to day basis like my previous Targa4S was. I would be very interested in this GT series especially if the new 991 platform will soften the GT3 up a little to make it what I was looking for in the previous one and revive the ultimate 911 feedback that the 997 had.

Just some thoughts. Still hoping they put MT in it! Would a perfect car to throw some clubs in the back (no seats) and go to the track for a few spins after a round of 18!

Last edited by uhn2000; 02-07-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
+1
+1
+1
+1

Re: PDK - it will always be controversial..., until all cars have updated transmissions that make the manual clutch pedal a thing of the past (like power windows or electric starters, and other crazy futuristic craziness).
I'm sure you're going to jump on the all-electric bandwagon too? Who actually finds that the revving of an engine where you choose gears depending on how you're driving to be more fun than an electric hum? Surely the performance of an AWD electric will win at some point, but whether it will have the fun factor for everyone is another question - like PDK.

GT3 looks fantastic in any case, and for tracking (or daily commutes) I do understand putting a PDK on it.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 997xpress
Sorry - couldn't resist..
Too funny!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrstep
I'm sure you're going to jump on the all-electric bandwagon too? Who actually finds that the revving of an engine where you choose gears depending on how you're driving to be more fun than an electric hum? Surely the performance of an AWD electric will win at some point, but whether it will have the fun factor for everyone is another question - like PDK.

GT3 looks fantastic in any case, and for tracking (or daily commutes) I do understand putting a PDK on it.
I wouldn't say jumping on the bandwagon, but rather accept the evolution of the machines...

I feel the Tesla S is the future of the car industry. Not perfected, but instant max torque available all of the time? Sounds like a roller coaster. Who doesn't like roller coasters?

Do I like some aspects of cars as they exist now? Sure. But I'd be okay with making that an occasion, and not the norm. And the Tesla S doesn't really hum either. It is quite nice. I think that combustion engines and manual shifting has a place in motorsports, but that is about it. And if the manual shifting can be assisted to ensure a gear is never missed, and is always in optimal position (to preserve the life of the component and the success of the driver/team), I'm all for it - so are car owners and crew chiefs. Because everyone has different definitions of fun, nobody will ever be happy with one particular thing - this is why we like choice. But from a business stand point, choice can get expensive, and cut into profit or price you out of the market (into a boutique category).

I do look forward to the NSX concept hybrid (front wheels powered by electric, rear wheels by combustion engine), but what racer doesn't love the sound of a high revving combustion engine?

So I wish things could stay somewhat the same, but that is not prudent for so many other reasons that I feel is more important than just - fun. Which is why I have multiple vehicles. Different occasions require a different tool.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts

I think there's a major difference in that a manual transmission is "part of the fun/involvement," where as I doubt anyone coveted manually rolling up windows as part of the sports car experience.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Anyone have any info on the suspension? Will it use a proper coil over again like the 997?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 info...rumours?