Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GS997S
Translation please.
That's awesome ha ha ha!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Translation please.
He is saying his 997.2 PDK was built like a tank giving him no problems whatsoever. His 991 MT is better looking but is humble by comparison performance wise.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by STALKER
Do you regret not getting the PDK?

definitely not. Getting the manual was the right call for me. If the price were the same for PDK v manual I may toy with the idea and have an open mind for for nearly $5k more for the PDK the manual was a no brainer for me since it is my preference anyway.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
I traded by much loved 3.6 997 for the 991 last year. Immediately upon delivery I noticed the difference in the steering although since then I have gotten used to it. The interior is holding up well although the sport plus seats make an annoying leather on leather squeak that drives me nuts. It seems to be the back rest rubbing against the side bolsters. It's a beautiful car and I definitely prefer the looks over the 997 , however, for pure driving fun I think my 997 was a better choice. The main gripe I have with the 991 is the lack of torque. To get any decent forward momentum you really have to rev the engine which was not the case in the 997. I must remember to press the sport button at every start because absent that the car just feels sluggish. I dont know that I would go back in time and pony up another $14k for the S though if I could. If it were $7 or $8k perhaps. Bottom line is the car just does not feel alive in the way that the 997 does. It is a good daily driver and comfortable but it just does not stir the soul the way the 997 did. I will keep the car another year but after that all options are on the table., If Porsche does not fix the 991 then I will buy a brand other than Porsche or perhaps go back to the 997. Others may have a different opinion and experience but this is my honest accessment for what it's worth.

IMHO the 991 is less involved than the 997...not a bad thing for some but not the right set up for others.

Its a personal choice.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
No doubt the 3.4 is fast but the lack of low end torque is very annoying as a DD, even with PDK.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by galion
No doubt the 3.4 is fast but the lack of low end torque is very annoying as a DD, even with PDK.
I remember having that feeling when testing the 3.4L overnight, but forget about it all after driving 3.4L + PCCB.
Only the turbo low end torque (tested 997.2TT) I could justify as meaningfull.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 AM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pyramid
I remember having that feeling when testing the 3.4L overnight, but forget about it all after driving 3.4L + PCCB.
Only the turbo low end torque (tested 997.2TT) I could justify as meaningfull.
good point on the unsprung weight reduction of The ceramic breaks. Some low-weight wheels would help. Stock rims are ok...not too heavy but something like the OZ are probably 5-7 lbs lighter. Couple that with lighter tires, and it make make a dramatic impact.

I have felt the difference in another car of putting heavier tires on it. It did significantly rob that car of its get-up-and-go feeling.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Poults is infamous around these parts
While I agree it would be great to have a little more low end....there are three traffic cops that I have been introduced to in the past 6 months that would suggest my 3.4 MT is pretty quick.....lol.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
IMHO my 3.4 cab 7MT is slow as S_ _T!
Shame on you Porsche for putting this engine in a 911!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
I agree that the 3.4 liter is lacking in low end torque and power, but why did you buy it if you thought it was that bad? Did you not test drive it. I wouldn't want the 3.4 engine, but I think I would drive it before I bought it. I also think the base 991 looks like a 4x4 without PASM, which is another issue, but that is just me.
Totally agree with you. Damn stupid but you live and learn.
Should have kept my 09 S PDK coupe.

Yes... I drove the car briefly before I bought it but like most of us here you don't want to beat the crap out of the car you think you are going to buy.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
This sort of reminds me of 1970 when some people opted for the LS-5 motor in their Chevelle instead of the LS-6. They did save money, but never really made it to the party.

In any event, my MT 991S is a rocket right from the standing start.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I guess Porsche went to the 3.4 liter in favor of efficiency and mileage mandates. They pimped it as just as good as the 3.6 DFI engine in the 997.2. Is that not the case ? Or, is it that the larger interior gives you a different illusion of speed?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I drove the C2 for an extended period of time the other day and I have to say that it only felt marginally slower then my Targa4S. It has more then enough power for our city streets and we had it up to blazing speeds in no time. I guess we all want more power but I actually enjoyed using the entire rev range versus a more powerful car where I barely get to.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You guys must be driving a different car than I am. 4.2 seconds to 60 seems pretty quick to me.

ChuckJ
PS: cbrett just posted:
a few updates....

switched out the carrera classic wheels for the sportdesign wheels.

also, got PSE installed. absolutely love it. yes, it is overpriced (especially post order) but it sounds so much better, and i didn't want to mess with aftermarket parts at this point.

i took it out to my very first autocross today with my local PCA. it was fantastic! out of about 20 cars, it put up the 2nd fastest time, and that had 99.9% to do with the car and not the driver. i was super impressed with my base 911 and the PDK. loving this car!

My thoughts:
Make sure all your plugs are firing correctly.
ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 02-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
You guys must be driving a different car than I am. 4.2 seconds to 60 seems pretty quick to me.

ChuckJ
PS: cbrett just posted:
a few updates....

switched out the carrera classic wheels for the sportdesign wheels.

also, got PSE installed. absolutely love it. yes, it is overpriced (especially post order) but it sounds so much better, and i didn't want to mess with aftermarket parts at this point.

i took it out to my very first autocross today with my local PCA. it was fantastic! out of about 20 cars, it put up the 2nd fastest time, and that had 99.9% to do with the car and not the driver. i was super impressed with my base 911 and the PDK. loving this car!

My thoughts:
Make sure all your plugs are firing correctly.
ChuckJ
The car is fast. No one is really questioning that. It is just a little less torque down low than we may have expected with this car. Hence the 2nd poster commenting about whether the PDK is a better option given that it can instantly drop gears and play with the greater RPM range to get into a sweet spot.

With the manual, you have to be aggressive about shifting. Once I am past the 2000 mile break-in, I'll be much more rev-happy. The low-end torque issue shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, this is how Porsche made a car that gets great gas mileage under normal driving conditions. Tradeoffs, always. Unless you bolt on a turbo. But I have to say I am a fan of naturally aspirated. It IS a great engine. It just needs a little bit of aggressive shifting to really bring out its true character.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd