Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to see the torque curves of the 3.6L DFI and this new 3.4L DFI side by side...I wonder how much torque difference we're really talking about here.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=ChuckJ;3765625]You guys must be driving a different car than I am. 4.2 seconds to 60 seems pretty quick to me.

I would be surprised if the base car is that fast. Where may I ask did you get that time from? I have not seen any magazine or test review on a base car that substantiates that much performance.

My last 997.2 Coupe was to me much, much faster than my 991 base.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
[quote=gjnockie;3765650]
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
You guys must be driving a different car than I am. 4.2 seconds to 60 seems pretty quick to me.

I would be surprised if the base car is that fast. Where may I ask did you get that time from? I have not seen any magazine or test review on a base car that substantiates that much performance.

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 0-60 mph 4.3 Quarter Mile 12.7

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Porsche...mph-Times.html

Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 PM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
frank your source shows exactly what we are all griping about the car seems not as quick but faster (0-60 is 4.1 on a 2009 carrera 911 base mt) versus 4.3 may be its cuz the car is .2 liters smaller and bigger...

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 0-60 mph 4.1 Quarter mile 12.7

Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aamersa
He is saying his 997.2 PDK was built like a tank giving him no problems whatsoever. His 991 MT is better looking but is humble by comparison performance wise.
Thank you Mr. Aamersa, thats precisely what I was saying. Sorry for the lack of clarity gents. Clearly you aren't car people to understand the jargon.

Last edited by 20-C4-10; 02-16-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 AM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
I have had my car base MT for six months and could not be more happy. I am surprised that there is so much discussion about torque. It's there, you just have to work it a little. However, I am surprised that there is little talk about the hokey shifts from 7th to 6th to 5th which sometimes puts you right into 3rd or the extra time it takes to make sure you are in 5th instead of third.

In fact, has this been a problem with anyone on a track?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
[quote=gjnockie;3765650]
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
You guys must be driving a different car than I am. 4.2 seconds to 60 seems pretty quick to me.

That data came from AutoZine:
http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Pors...1_Carrera.html

But I'm not trying to quibble over a tenth or two.

ChuckJ

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Airportrat
However, I am surprised that there is little talk about the hokey shifts from 7th to 6th to 5th which sometimes puts you right into 3rd or the extra time it takes to make sure you are in 5th instead of third.
I posted about this in another thread. That extra 7th gear in a 5th gate makes the spacing between the other gates a little closer together. When I am shifting aggressively, I sometimes hold the clutch a little more tentatively than I would otherwise, so I don't downshift from 5th to 2nd, or something similarly stupid.

I just wish the little display in the center of the track noted the gear selected BEFORE you let out the clutch, not after.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Airportrat
I have had my car base MT for six months and could not be more happy. I am surprised that there is so much discussion about torque. It's there, you just have to work it a little. However, I am surprised that there is little talk about the hokey shifts from 7th to 6th to 5th which sometimes puts you right into 3rd or the extra time it takes to make sure you are in 5th instead of third.

In fact, has this been a problem with anyone on a track?
Love my base MT as well (well, I've only had it for 3 weeks, so I better? ), and I can't rev it up yet (a ways to go to 2000 miles), but the torque seems good to me even in the lower RPMs - assuming that I can use distance to the cars behind me at a light as a measuring stick or the fact that I'm over the limit in no time even now without nearing max power.

The shifts... Yeah, so I've managed to lock myself out of 7th by taking too long while 'making sure' I was going to 7th. I assume taking too long outside of 5th/6th locks 7th out again, even though I was just trying to make sure I was going to the right place. But seemingly once I actually trust myself to be pushing the stick to the right gate, that will be fine, and there's certainly no danger of over-reving when dropping back to 5th or 6th even at highway speed.

That said, I'd love it if the gear indicator showed the planned gear before you release the clutch. I assume the computer knows, so maybe show the number flashing first, then solid when you release? Not a big deal, but that would be my #1 wish on it. Otherwise I love the feel, and I've been re-training myself to think of it as just a normal 5 or 6 speed to put that 7th-way-over-there gear mostly out of mind. I guess that's what the lock-out is supposed do to for you anyway, right?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by certified_prime
I just wish the little display in the center of the track noted the gear selected BEFORE you let out the clutch, not after.
Darn, beat me to that - apparently I should have refreshed before posting.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
997.2 GTS feels better to me than the 991-S, I'am not bias because i own a 997.2 GTS ,but due to the fact that I was given the car for a whole day and returned it after 15 minute's. Yes, the gadgets were cool,the interior was on par, but far as the feel of the car- (steering/handeling/performance) there was no comparison. ( Still cant get used to the 2- lower- little red reflectors on the rear bumber.) Electric steering suck's. (Start Stop in a performance car-PLEASE!!! Who cares about fuel consumption in a car that most owner's dont even drive everyday. If you cant afford fuel then how can you afford a Porsche??

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tromero
I traded by much loved 3.6 997 for the 991 last year. Immediately upon delivery I noticed the difference in the steering although since then I have gotten used to it. The interior is holding up well although the sport plus seats make an annoying leather on leather squeak that drives me nuts. It seems to be the back rest rubbing against the side bolsters. It's a beautiful car and I definitely prefer the looks over the 997 , however, for pure driving fun I think my 997 was a better choice. The main gripe I have with the 991 is the lack of torque. To get any decent forward momentum you really have to rev the engine which was not the case in the 997. I must remember to press the sport button at every start because absent that the car just feels sluggish. I dont know that I would go back in time and pony up another $14k for the S though if I could. If it were $7 or $8k perhaps. Bottom line is the car just does not feel alive in the way that the 997 does. It is a good daily driver and comfortable but it just does not stir the soul the way the 997 did. I will keep the car another year but after that all options are on the table., If Porsche does not fix the 991 then I will buy a brand other than Porsche or perhaps go back to the 997. Others may have a different opinion and experience but this is my honest accessment for what it's worth.
I agree with you. It's not about "fast" it's about "feel". The 991 (I have a MT S) just feels like my Lexus (boring). If I remember to push "sport" it's ok, if I push "Sport +" it's better. I'm deciding if I'm going to sell it or "fix" it. The later will involve a PSE and either the bits to convert me to Sport PASM or some other suspension. The "decide" is that I have steering plus and I'm worried that at the end of another few thousand dollars I'll still have a car that steers like a Lexus...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to see the 3.6 DFI and 3.4 DFI plotted together on a graph and see how the torque curves compare...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MIkeGTS
997.2 GTS feels better to me than the 991-S, I'am not bias because i own a 997.2 GTS ,but due to the fact that I was given the car for a whole day and returned it after 15 minute's. Yes, the gadgets were cool,the interior was on par, but far as the feel of the car- (steering/handeling/performance) there was no comparison. ( Still cant get used to the 2- lower- little red reflectors on the rear bumber.) Electric steering suck's. (Start Stop in a performance car-PLEASE!!! Who cares about fuel consumption in a car that most owner's dont even drive everyday. If you cant afford fuel then how can you afford a Porsche??
Why would you not care about MPG??? Its a DD car for me, so I def care.
When I travel 500KM to a track event its nice not to have fill up the car a few times, rather spend the fuel money at the track then getting there.

I have a good amount of time in a 997.2...the interior is not on par with the 991, it feels cheap and sparse in comparison. The 997.2 is one of my favorite cars, but there were several areas where it could be improved, and it seems Porsche addressed most of them. Can't please everyone though.

Last edited by STALKER; 02-11-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STALKER

Why would you not care about MPG??? Its a DD car for me, so I def care.
When I travel 500KM to a track event its nice not to have fill up the car a few times, rather spend the fuel money at the track then getting there.
+1
Mine is a daily driver as well. Just because I own a Porsche does not mean I want to throw money away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd