Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
To me i can relax more going to work everyday in a normal car,then on the weekends drive somthing that feels good-almost as a reward for a hard week of work!! If i drove my p everyday i would have multiple speeding tickets and probably some idiot on a cell phone would have smashed into me. (South Florida drivers) Also i feel these cars depreciate more with higher milage,not to mention all the 250$ oil changes/2,000$ for tire's every 10,00 miles. So back to the MPG-it was never a factor in my purchase. Was their even a MPG rating on the sticker??

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 AM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Saw this on you tube, base 991 on the ring. I think he could do a better time if there's no traffic and he drops the passenger. Sorry if its been posted before.

Last edited by White991; 02-12-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White991
Saw this on you tube, base 991 on the ring. I think he could do a better time if there's no traffic and he drops the passenger. Sorry if its been posted before.

http://youtu.be/Ap2WMhngzgo
Nice post White!! Seems like a lot of people are out for a Sunday drive. That makes it a little risky. Not a pro, but very good and very personal.

ChuckJ

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Wonderful video...felt like I was driving it. Thanks for the post!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Kcarrigan is infamous around these parts
Chuck et al,

I didn't mean to say in my previous post that the 3.4 wasn't fast as the 981 - only that it wasn't as fast around town as my Spyder, which came as a bit of a surprise. I love the 991, it's just not what I expected, and my experience mirrors the OPs.

Around a track, the car is certainly faster. Check out some video of my last trip to Laguna, I spent most of the day passing C2Ss and Z06s in the open passing group. The other drivers were surprised to hear the 991 was only 3.4l given how it pulled up the hill.

I should be at Sonoma later this month and I'll make a little comparison to the Spyder. My hunch is that the 991 will be significantly quicker.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by White991

http://youtu.be/Ap2WMhngzgo
Pretty amazing how calm the female passenger sounds. I'm imagining it would be quiet different if I was driving and my wife was the passenger.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kcarrigan
Chuck et al,

I didn't mean to say in my previous post that the 3.4 wasn't fast as the 981 - only that it wasn't as fast around town as my Spyder, which came as a bit of a surprise. I love the 991, it's just not what I expected, and my experience mirrors the OPs.

Around a track, the car is certainly faster. Check out some video of my last trip to Laguna, I spent most of the day passing C2Ss and Z06s in the open passing group. The other drivers were surprised to hear the 991 was only 3.4l given how it pulled up the hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_fpzvWlSI

I should be at Sonoma later this month and I'll make a little comparison to the Spyder. My hunch is that the 991 will be significantly quicker.
Looks like a very capable car and driver. Where/how was the camera mounted?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
The problem we are facing is that a lot of the lack of torque/power/speed feed backs came from "feel" rather than actual solid data. The 991 might have so much better control and traction that it feels slower at the same speed compared to some other similar cars.

I cycle a lot and sometimes around the same road I drove my 991. On my bicycle, it feels scary going downhill at 60kmh and round corners at 30kmh. I go through these at more than 2x my cycling speed on the 991 and yet it still feel slow. I think you get the point.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM
drizute is infamous around these parts
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I personally love the duality of the 991. As an "S" PDK PSE owner I can potter around town, smoothly transition the highways without the need to refill the gas tank (Petrol Tank!) every 100miles. The car is easy to drive, vision is good, which as mentioned before is essential to S Florida (License or commons sense not required!).

However flip the switch and bury the pedal and the car bares its teeth. This stock car is FAST, having driven a few Porsches I understand the purists dislike of the newer electronics/seat of the pants skill deadening enhancements BUT with the right encouragement you can take the 991 to the edge with more comfort than previous versions, drive FASTER, turn in quicker, accelerate earlier than previous models without sacrificing that adrenaline pumping feeling of holding a car 2 inches (5cm) from a cliff edge.

Having just come out of a AUDI S5 the difference is night and day. To get the Audi to the edge required an almost reckless attitude, the line between in an out of control is very thin if you go over, you go over instantly. The 991 has a much broader line allowing you to tip toe the edge without going over and giving you the ability to pull that toe back if you stray a little too far.

The 991 fits that unique slot in between Wolf and Sheep with a little DNA from both. Make your own decision on whether you want more wolf or more sheep based on the angle of your right foot ! If you are looking for more wolf than the 991 can offer, the turbo should be a blast, or Pony up and get an Italian car which carries none of the Sheep aspect and you get to run with the pack every day.

Of all the cars I have driven few have put the wry smile on my face as this car slips into the change room and pulls off its woolly jumper (jersey) to expose mane and teeth, Im not saying its the same dumb grin you get when smashing the g force barrier in an Aventador or 348, its a wry smile and for me, a wry smile is just about right.......

Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drizute
I personally love the duality of the 991. As an "S" PDK PSE owner I can potter around town, smoothly transition the highways without the need to refill the gas tank (Petrol Tank!) every 100miles. The car is easy to drive, vision is good, which as mentioned before is essential to S Florida (License or commons sense not required!).

However flip the switch and bury the pedal and the car bares its teeth. This stock car is FAST, having driven a few Porsches I understand the purists dislike of the newer electronics/seat of the pants skill deadening enhancements BUT with the right encouragement you can take the 991 to the edge with more comfort than previous versions, drive FASTER, turn in quicker, accelerate earlier than previous models without sacrificing that adrenaline pumping feeling of holding a car 2 inches (5cm) from a cliff edge.

Having just come out of a AUDI S5 the difference is night and day. To get the Audi to the edge required an almost reckless attitude, the line between in an out of control is very thin if you go over, you go over instantly. The 991 has a much broader line allowing you to tip toe the edge without going over and giving you the ability to pull that toe back if you stray a little too far.

The 991 fits that unique slot in between Wolf and Sheep with a little DNA from both. Make your own decision on whether you want more wolf or more sheep based on the angle of your right foot ! If you are looking for more wolf than the 991 can offer, the turbo should be a blast, or Pony up and get an Italian car which carries none of the Sheep aspect and you get to run with the pack every day.

Of all the cars I have driven few have put the wry smile on my face as this car slips into the change room and pulls off its woolly jumper (jersey) to expose mane and teeth, Im not saying its the same dumb grin you get when smashing the g force barrier in an Aventador or 348, its a wry smile and for me, a wry smile is just about right.......
Dan Neil, you have a competitor. Beautifully written.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I finally drove my 991S a little harder than I've ever driven it last night...and I was amazed...this car is extremely capable, and worth every penny given the new looks. The PDCC makes this thing bite hard when the PASM is set to sport. This thing is a beast.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kcarrigan

I know how you feel, it is exactly my reaction too after test driving friend's Spyder (test drove 3.4 the whole day before).
Spyder seems to spool lighter throughout the rpm band, thus feels faster.
To match (or perhaps 'bettered') the Spyder's feel, the 3.4L needs PCCB. I own one and have driven the other 2.

Last edited by pyramid; 02-13-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Kcarrigan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by runner1021
Looks like a very capable car and driver. Where/how was the camera mounted?
GoPro suction mount to the back of the passenger seat.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I had my car out for a 45 minute spirited drive today (ugly northeast weather has kept it under wraps for a couple weeks). I must say, this car is a sleeper at lower RPMs, but start to really perform well when the engine is in the 4k-5k RPM range. Nice growl from the engine at that point as well.

As per our earlier comments, you really need to work the shifting to get the most out of the 3.4 engine. (and by "most" we mean seat-of-the-pants driving). Down in the 2k-3k range, the lower torque really shows, but shift into the sweet spot and you are good to go! I've yet to really press it beyond 5.5k RPMS...I'll do that once I get the summer tires back on and have some track time.

I just wish the manual shifter was about an inch shorter. It just feels a bit too tall for me. I need to investigate whether there is an easy way to drop it down, like changing the shift ball or something.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Dashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really nice
Hello guys ..
I do not know why there is no videos of the new carrera s 991 on youtube , it is really crazy car no one knows
This is my first video on youtube on my teckart kit carrera s stock
Check it out