Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd

I traded by much loved 3.6 997 for the 991 last year. Immediately upon delivery I noticed the difference in the steering although since then I have gotten used to it. The interior is holding up well although the sport plus seats make an annoying leather on leather squeak that drives me nuts. It seems to be the back rest rubbing against the side bolsters. It's a beautiful car and I definitely prefer the looks over the 997 , however, for pure driving fun I think my 997 was a better choice. The main gripe I have with the 991 is the lack of torque. To get any decent forward momentum you really have to rev the engine which was not the case in the 997. I must remember to press the sport button at every start because absent that the car just feels sluggish. I dont know that I would go back in time and pony up another $14k for the S though if I could. If it were $7 or $8k perhaps. Bottom line is the car just does not feel alive in the way that the 997 does. It is a good daily driver and comfortable but it just does not stir the soul the way the 997 did. I will keep the car another year but after that all options are on the table., If Porsche does not fix the 991 then I will buy a brand other than Porsche or perhaps go back to the 997. Others may have a different opinion and experience but this is my honest accessment for what it's worth.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Do you regret not getting the PDK?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Stalker may have a good point. The PDK does permit the engine to spin up to 3500 RPM where there's plenty of torque when you ask for immediate power off the line. This kind of operation would be very damaging to the dry clutch in the manual transmission. I too have a base 991 and have had a base 997 manual and a 997S PDK. I much prefer this car to either of the 997s, although I have made similar observations as you have WRT less torque and a higher revving car. Interestingly, these car rev more like the early 911s but go to a much higher RPM and have more power throughout the RPM range.

ChuckJ

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm. Interesting point. I can see how the PDK would mask the somewhat low torque at the lower RPM range. In my manual, I've just gotten used to downshifting before pressing the accelerator if I want to move faster, in order to get the engine into a higher RPM range and thus better torque range.

Then again, in year or two, I am sure VF will have a turbo kit for the 3.4 engine, which will solve the torque issue once and for all for those that want to go down that route.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I tested the 3.4 7MT for an entire day and found that you really had to push it to get some excitement out of it but once you were up in the REV range it was more playful, flexible, and fun then the 997. The 997 was so torquey that you could go to the grocery store and enjoy it. The 991 you need speed to enjoy!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Kcarrigan is infamous around these parts
I have the PDK and have always wondered if the manual would have felt more alive! PDK might have helped if the ratios weren't so tall, but even in 2nd you have to really be moving to have the motor in the torque curve.

Like tromero, I like the car but feel that Porsche really got the engine wrong. Compare the Autocar in-gear performance of the new Boxster S and the base Carrera; the Boxster outpaces the 991 handily.

I don't know what I'll do next, I'd buy a new Cayman, but I don't want to reward Porsche for producing a bit of a lame duck.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 AM
BnB
BnB is infamous around these parts
I wasn't impressed by the torque in the 3.4 either. Went for the much punchier S and thankful that I did. it is true that on a run the need to keep the revs higher makes the 3.4 a lively steer, but frankly, I can drop a gear lower in the 3.8 and have the same experience. And commuting the S is so much better.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
The Cayman is the perfect 911... except for .01% of the 911 owners who use the lilliputian back seat. Just imagine the Cayman with the 3.8 turbo!!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kcarrigan
I have the PDK and have always wondered if the manual would have felt more alive! PDK might have helped if the ratios weren't so tall, but even in 2nd you have to really be moving to have the motor in the torque curve.

Like tromero, I like the car but feel that Porsche really got the engine wrong. Compare the Autocar in-gear performance of the new Boxster S and the base Carrera; the Boxster outpaces the 991 handily.

I don't know what I'll do next, I'd buy a new Cayman, but I don't want to reward Porsche for producing a bit of a lame duck.
Car and Driver seems to think 991 base wins against BoxterS.

ChuckJ

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 AM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GS997S
I am still holding on to my 997.2 GTS, but I have test driven the base 991 and the S. I understand the OP's complaints with the 3.4 liter car. No way I would buy one. Just don't see why anyone would pay that kind of money for that engine.
I picked one up with minimal options for the low $70s. (about in line with a Cayman S if I were to go that direction). So for me, the 3.4 was worth it. It is an amazing handling car.

That said, I have no idea why anyone would pay $85+ and load up on options on the 3.4 engine. The 3.8 is definitely the way to go if you have the means.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM
hepmonk is infamous around these partshepmonk is infamous around these parts
I'm assuming that everyone is buying the X51 these days. Surely, it cannot be that 400bhp is just right and that 350bhp is too little and 430bhp too much.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hepmonk
I'm assuming that everyone is buying the X51 these days. Surely, it cannot be that 400bhp is just right and that 350bhp is too little and 430bhp too much.
Most ppl are not ordering X51, at least not yet.
I was close, but decided to wait and trade in for a GTS later on.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
I have a 3.4L with the 7MT and love it. More than enough pull to get me in trouble in any gear. Just need to know how the downshift, sans automatic rev bump.

Maybe I need to have my T level checked

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tromero
I traded by much loved 3.6 997 for the 991 last year. Immediately upon delivery I noticed the difference in the steering although since then I have gotten used to it. The interior is holding up well although the sport plus seats make an annoying leather on leather squeak that drives me nuts. It seems to be the back rest rubbing against the side bolsters. It's a beautiful car and I definitely prefer the looks over the 997 , however, for pure driving fun I think my 997 was a better choice. The main gripe I have with the 991 is the lack of torque. To get any decent forward momentum you really have to rev the engine which was not the case in the 997. I must remember to press the sport button at every start because absent that the car just feels sluggish. I dont know that I would go back in time and pony up another $14k for the S though if I could. If it were $7 or $8k perhaps. Bottom line is the car just does not feel alive in the way that the 997 does. It is a good daily driver and comfortable but it just does not stir the soul the way the 997 did. I will keep the car another year but after that all options are on the table., If Porsche does not fix the 991 then I will buy a brand other than Porsche or perhaps go back to the 997. Others may have a different opinion and experience but this is my honest accessment for what it's worth.
If I would have tried 300 times over I wouldn't have said it better myself, I loved my 997.2 that think was a tank no problems ever, ya my 991z prettier but wow perhaps its also cuz my .2 was pdk but this mt makes the car way way to humble

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by fantom
I have a 3.4L with the 7MT and love it. More than enough pull to get me in trouble in any gear. Just need to know how the downshift, sans automatic rev bump.

Maybe I need to have my T level checked
I agree. My 3.4 liter 7 speed car is more than powerful enough to put my license in jeopardy each time I get behind the wheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions after a year of living with the 3.4 911 7spd