new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I gotta tell ya, I think the Cayman in yellow looks brutal. Maybe in GT silver or basalt black, it would be tolerable. To each their own, I guess.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
Originally Posted by aerogt3
I use my rear seats a lot - it was the only reason I chose a 911 over the Cayman. The seats may be small, but as I tell my friends/visiting family members/coworkers/etc. - they are better than walking!
do you fold your friends in 4 to sit in back? Or they come from Gulliver Island?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Hotmetal
do you fold your friends in 4 to sit in back? Or they come from Gulliver Island?
You hate the backseats. We get it.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
The reason I didn't buy an Audi R8 is because the 911 has a backseat. When my kids are riding back there squealing with delight, I am often throwing something back there.

I like the new Boxster. I think it is beautiful. And because it is mid-engine may handle better than a 911. But it just isn't a 911

My fake Rolex looks just like my real one. But I still like the real one better. True story.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
Originally Posted by sportscentury
You hate the backseats. We get it.
You are right .... but I like the car anyway.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
The reason I didn't buy an Audi R8 is because the 911 has a backseat. When my kids are riding back there squealing with delight, I am often throwing something back there.

I like the new Boxster. I think it is beautiful. And because it is mid-engine may handle better than a 911. But it just isn't a 911
+1 (on both points).

This was actually a deciding factor when getting a few of my cars. As the children start leaving, we are caring less. But they often prefer to ride in the backseat of a GT-R, than in a comfortable family car, when given a choice.

The new Cayman/Boxster is strikingly good looking. I just wish those taillights were cut off at the body panel line (as ps'd in another thread). Add those good looks to the already great balance/feel of the car, with decent performance and a modest price tag, and you've got a great car.

Back seats can be a make/break criteria. I used them as a selling point when shopping for the 911 (a few years ago) - literally - I walked into the Porsche dealership with my car seat to show the wife that it fits. Once I did that, I was in the clear.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
I don't like the looks of the Cayman.

It is also too small for me.

I like the back seat for storage.

I remember driving a 2006 Cayman S loaner and thinking "why would anyone buy this car?"

I don't think the new one is that much different.

How the car handles when driving on a track relative to the 911 isn't that important given that I, and most other drivers, may track the car maybe 1% of the time.

Note: if I offended any Cayman owners sorry, but this is the 911 forum.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gulrey22
How the car handles when driving on a track relative to the 911 isn't that important given that I, and most other drivers, may track the car maybe 1% of the time.

Note: if I offended any Cayman owners sorry, but this is the 911 forum.
Not sure why this post would be offensive. But you may be on to something - because about 75% of my driving time in a Cayman S has been performance driving of some kind. Maybe if I tried to drive the car every day, my opinion would change.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hotmetal
You are right .... but I like the car anyway.
You can always take them out and put in a roll cage. See Searge's old thread. It looked pretty good.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 998M

My fake Rolex looks just like my real one. But I still like the real one better. True story.
The reason I bought a R8 is because it has a V10 in the back seat and makes this big kid squeal in the front seat. What a great time to be an enthusiast with all these choices. Not sure the future for enthusiasts will be as bright.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
The Cayman is a great car and if I would be in the market for something like this I would not hesitate to get one.

However it is not a 911. Only a 911 is a 911. Any generation and variant of the 911 is a 911.

Even if the Cayman would be a lot faster and a lot better handling than the 911, it still would not be a 911. Just like a F458 is not a 911.

For me Porsche is 911. Not Boxter, Cayman, Chayenne or Panamera. Those are not Porsche. Those are just things Porsche makes to stay in business. An excuse. Like Sunglasses and cheap ladies bags with "Porsche" written on them and fitted with a big price tag (to be fair, the bag has optional pockets and the PZIP zipper option).

The 911 is Porsche. The two mean the same thing to me. Simple.
That's why I bought a Porsche and it is a 911.

Amen.

Rainier

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
I should also say that 25 years ago, when my daughter was in a car seat, the 911 was the absolute best choice as far as I was concerned. Nice to see that we still take our little ones along and give them the thrill of a 911. Unfortunately, it didn't "take" in my case. Fast forward to today and my beautiful daughter thinks her Prius is a terrific car.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Alan
I should also say that 25 years ago, when my daughter was in a car seat, the 911 was the absolute best choice as far as I was concerned. Nice to see that we still take our little ones along and give them the thrill of a 911. Unfortunately, it didn't "take" in my case. Fast forward to today and my beautiful daughter thinks her Prius is a terrific car.

Alan,

You have failed as a parent

Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Alan
The reason I bought a R8 is because it has a V10 in the back seat and makes this big kid squeal in the front seat. What a great time to be an enthusiast with all these choices. Not sure the future for enthusiasts will be as bright.

But if you have an Audi R8 V10 and 991 then you are still an exceptional person. How do they compare?

Marc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911