new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

First review of the new Cayman S by Autocar just came out and he said that our 911 is too fat and he would prefer the new CS any day or any week over 911.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman

I am happy to hear that the new Porsche Cayman S is a fantastic car to drive, does any one consider to buy the new CS over the base 911?

I did that 2 years ago when I bought a fully loaded CS 2011 over a base 997. What a great car!
But now the only way that might bring me back to consider before getting the new CS is when Porsche decides to put 3.8 litres engine in it. That will never happen though.

Last edited by iambon; 02-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iambon
But now the only way that might bring me back to consider before getting the new CS is when Porsche decides to put 3.8 litres engine in it. That will never happen though.
I thought I would never give up my 08 Boxter S RS-60, and think the 981 Boxter S is a significant advance over it. But 3.8 991 S torque and hp, combined with PDK efficiency and performance just take it all to another level.

When I hear someone assert that the 991 (or the 981) is too "GT", "fat" or less sporty, to me it just indicates that they have not explored the new performance parameters.

I have no doubt at all that if they put that engine in the Cayman, it would end up costing as per the 911, weigh as much, and outperform it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by iambon
First review of the new Cayman S by Autocar just came out and he said that our 911 is too fat and he would prefer the new CS any day or any week over 911.
Did he mention if he's ever actually bought a new car?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Review says the Caymans high speed stability is noticeably better than the 911's... That seems hard to fathom given the respective wheelbases, tracks, suspensions etc

Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Not surprising since the boxster s is already coming so close to the base 991, the cayman s probably lighter and stiffer than the Boxster S, might out run the base 991 on track and drag. But our 991 can seat 2 adults + 2 hobbits!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
The Cayman is the perfect 911. The 2 seats in the back of 911 is a joke. Maybe only less than 1% of the owners use these Lilliputian places. Put the 3.8 in the Cayman and there is no more reason to the 911 to exist. And for people who really want back seats, they can go with the Panamera or the Cayenne. I think that Porsche is in a funny situation ... little brother is getting stronger

Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
The 991 looks a lot better than the cayman. Essentially what you're asking for, is to move the engine in the 991 into the back seat. I'm not sold on that idea.

Perhaps the Boxster/Cayman are too good; They lose that uniqueness that is a 911.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
My new ride.........perhaps. I'll get my hands on one next month.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I wasn't going to post anything... as i usually do not when it comes to these types of threads as it almost always will involve the inavitability of raisng one person's pride and joy over someone elses... but these types of threads seem to keep popping up so I'll finally put my 2 cents in.

Let me start by saying I have owned both a Boxter and Cayman... they are great track cars which are a ton of fun... like a big go-cart.

That said, here's the problem with these supposed "journalists" and their opinions, because make no mistake about it...that is all it is, one mans opinion!
Most (99.9%) of them (journo's) do not and never will make the kind of $$ of their "hosting gig" which will allow them to actually purchase a nicely appointed 991 while it's under the original warranty, never mind brand new.
That is unless they own the production company, the magazine etc or are in the league of the Top Gear boys (UK BBC production only).

As such most automotive journo's (as is in our nature) play to the crowd in their shoes... while having in the back of their mind that the Boxter or Cayman may just be in their future with a bit of luck... so the less costly, lesser performing "baby" 911 becomes a more desirable car (if not even a truer and supperior sports car!) than the icon, the flagship the one all others are compared to... the 911.

I don't know about you guys but I've never seen a kid with posters of that amazing iconic "Boxter" on his walls... nor do I know any non sports car owners whom (if given the choice at no cost) would pick a boxter or Cayman over the 911...

No, anyone whom says a Boxter is a preferable to a 991 is lying to themselves.
I have yet to meet a 911 owner which would trade his icon in for a Boxter, but have seen many, many Boxter and Cayman owner ultimately end up in a 911...

Now add to this equation that we are talking about a 991... arguably the most powerful if not superior performing 911 build to date.
For me the Boxter and Cayman fall in a similar category as the Lotus Elise and Exige...some of the most underrated fun track cars a person can have... but they are no icon and as long as the 911 is around... they never will be.

So in the end it comes down to how these very, very different cars (Boxter/Cayman and 991) are presented and by whom...
Which takes us to the type of opinions rising from individuals whom have given themselves the title of " automotive journalists"... effectively giving them the credit of "experts"... after driving something for a few hours and then getting back into their pick-up truck...

I'll say this, no person will appreciate something as much as when they had to pay for the privilege of ownership and the knowledge derived from it's consequent daily interaction.
That's why I love these types of forums, you get feedback from people whom not just actually own the cars they are talking about... they view their rides as an experience... not just "a mode of transportation".
People whom (for the most part) have owned more and less expensive sports cars but are drawn back to the 911 because of it's uniquely engineered and designed behavior from which they derive so much pleasure... it's art, something to behold... at times it can even border on a spiritual experience, a capsule which when entered can transport you to another space of mind... something, calming, exciting, scary or invigorating... something we love, it communicates to us as we communicate to it... something which can put a grin on our face and make us feel like a 10 year old...those are the type of individuals whom I'm interested in hearing from.

There are a few journo's whom have that sense of connection, they understand it and can verbalize it through the appropriate disposition (without envy, pride or predious) like a Chris Harris... but most just love the sound of their own voice and go out of their way to find something, anything negative to say about vehicles they only wish they would have in their garage... just so they can appear to be "in the know".
Yet others whom do have a better understanding and appreciations of the complexity in the relationship between man and machine get caught up in the intellectual masturbation and entirely miss the point that a 911 is about more than the sum of it's parts...

My 2 cents...OK maybe that was more like 200 cents.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
^^^ very well said

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
sid, +1000 on your post....thanks for saying it!

also, basically the cayman reminds me of a 'modern day' 928, the first proposed "replacement" of the 911. would porsche ag ever be foolish enough to try that again? better not in my lifetime...instead, it seems like pag is masterfully engineering the boxster and cayman at a specific peformance and price point to keep within striking distance of the 911. they probably love all this talk about 987 vs 911 cause it draws in the $55 to 90k buyer demographic.

let's face it, porsche is just going to keep re-engineering the 911 better and better. a hybrid engine marvel is already in the 918. undoubtedly the 911 is next, and i suspect that might be another opportunity for their engineers to tweak the 911 'design flaws' yet again. personally, i can't wait to drive/buy that one too!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
When I was an NSX owner, it was the same rhetoric from S2000 owners.

Generally a current NSX owner would have an S2000 to have a less expensive car for track duty only (and many did).

Never did I see an NSX owner sell his car for the S2000 unless it was for financial reasons.

I had both & no comparison.

Attached Images   

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-10-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
"I have yet to meet a 911 owner which would trade his icon in for a Boxter, but have seen many, many Boxter and Cayman owner ultimately end up in a 911..."

Well, we haven't met but I am your (maybe only) exception to the rule. On two occassions I traded a 911 turbo for a Boxster and neither had anything to do with financial considerations. I just found stock 996 and 997 turbos to be boring street cars and the Boxster to be just the opposite. In my world, handling and "fun" trumps acceleration and "icon" status.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan
"I have yet to meet a 911 owner which would trade his icon in for a Boxter, but have seen many, many Boxter and Cayman owner ultimately end up in a 911..."

Well, we haven't met but I am your (maybe only) exception to the rule. On two occassions I traded a 911 turbo for a Boxster and neither had anything to do with financial considerations. I just found stock 996 and 997 turbos to be boring street cars and the Boxster to be just the opposite. In my world, handling and "fun" trumps acceleration and "icon" status.
I am involved with my local chapter of the PCA and I know many owners who have done this; for similar reasons.

And I am not surprise at this journalist take on the cayman.

At PCA functions, DE's and cars and coffee's I attend the talk of new Porsches usually centers on the new boxster and cayman. And the talk usually boils down to the drivers involvement with the car. For many, and they can afford anything, its not there with the 991. At least not under the normal driving conditions we encounter each day.

No 991 owner is going to say the cayman is a better drive. They made a choice that is right for them.

And the Cayman will be the right choice for others.

Heres another review calling the Cayman the best porsche now produced.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/130209770

Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
There was a kid hanging half way out a truck window taking pictures of the 991 as we drove home on the Interstate last night. They kept pulling ahead to try to get a better shot, finally I had to dust 'em for safety

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911