"Regular" Black v. Basalt Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
"Regular" Black v. Basalt Black

In the market for a C4S. I am buying from local stock and there are a few choices one being available immediately. It is regular black. I know that Basalt is the metallic version with flakes as my dad has a Panny GTS in Basalt.

I will be going tomorrow to look at the regular black, but wanted to get some feedback from members. Is is deeper? Boring? Blah? I know it's my car and ultimately I will make the call but openminded for opinions.

I don't want silver's as I have had them in the past. Agate would be ok but would need to make options sacrifices that I would prefer not to do.

TIA.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I personally feel that Basalt Black looks a little brown in the sun or bright light, so I prefer the regular black.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I prefer basalt...I had a black 997.1 a few years ago, and I had a black cayenne S. I think the metallic makes it look better and is easier to maintain.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
To be fair, any version of black is hard to keep clean. I have a regular black C4S on order. I just found Basalt to be a little too grainy for my taste, but any black is a good black

Good luck tomorrow and post some pics please!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Regular black looks amazing, it's deep and very sleek (like black ice) however... it is a pita to maintain, seriously...it's not a color but a project of love!

Most of my rides are black but after many, many years of my OCD being in overdrive I finally decided to go metal black.

It's best to look at it as the next best thing to black and a step before getting to a dark gray...
I love the Mercedes Benz metallic black, it actually looks better than the plain black but with Porsche it's the other way around.
That said I have a 991 C4S in Basalt black on order and am looking forward to the maintenance benefits that color bring with it.

Personally I think the C4S looks even wider in black than in other colors but truth be told...it looks pretty damn good in (almost) any color!

Congrats!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I ordered the regular black.
My suggestion is to have the car Opticoated right away, get it to a good detailer, get the paint perfect and have them Opti Coat it, it will keep it looking great many years. I do it to all my cars.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
pfijcali is infamous around these parts
I have a Basalt Black 991S, and find the color much more interesting than the plain black. Also, basalt black hides dust much better than the regular black, so you can go several more days without washing your car.

On the downside, a friend of mine walked up to me at the tennis club the other day and asked me if that BROWN Porsche parked outside was mine…….(no comment)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pfijcali
I have a Basalt Black 991S, and find the color much more interesting than the plain black. Also, basalt black hides dust much better than the regular black, so you can go several more days without washing your car.

On the downside, a friend of mine walked up to me at the tennis club the other day and asked me if that BROWN Porsche parked outside was mine…….(no comment)
OK... unless this took place at sunset (where every color has a warm tone to it) I'd say his comment falls in the category of "that's a nice little car you've got there"...

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
This isn't mine, but this is why BLACK rules when clean:

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
crewmember80 is infamous around these parts
I looked at both as well. I went with Standard Black, but think Basalt Black looks great as well.

If you do decide on Basalt Black, make sure you look over the body more carefully as there could be more in-perfection in the paint because of the aluminum flakes. My company supplies paint to Porsche...(not sure which colors though), so Im familiar with issues with metallic colors.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
I like both variants. But I do prefer the solid black purely for looks- and I've had about 6 or 7 black cars (not Porsche's); both solid and metallic. I would say that the metallic is nearly as much work to keep up as solid black. Dust is visible on both.

Solid black, properly prepped & with a full body wrap (like Premier) that will add some depth... oh my. Yes please.

YMMV

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-12-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Thanks for the replies..... the black is in stock so I can have the car within days. That certainly helps. But, there is an Agate car that completed production with PDCC that will be here in 4-6 weeks. decisions....... thx to all.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
To each their own, but I'll let these pics of Basalt Black speak for themselves...It's been just about a year with my 991S and I never grow tired of this color and it's many hues and shades.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	210639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	210640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8997.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	210641  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Having owned both black and basalt black 911's, my take is that there is nothing like "pure" black as long as you are willing to take care of it. I babied my black car, I washed it carefully myself using all the tricks, kept it waxed etc and after 2 years it had a fine patina of swirls and fine scratches. Nothing a good detailer couldn't take care of. The basalt black is not as rich looking but the swirls and scratches were far less noticeable. If you are handy with an orbital polisher or have access to a good detailer, I'd go "pure" black.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
I had the same dilemma. I liked the regular black and you can't beat it when it's first cleaned but after a few miles you need to find a car wash. So I picked Basalt and find myself driving more and cleaning less.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Nuke986; 02-13-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: photo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Regular" Black v. Basalt Black