Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Just like real hot rods have 3 pedals so do real sport cars. Race cars are better with only 2 pedals. Hot rods and sport cars are more fun to drive with 3 pedals, maybe not faster just more fun.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Lewis Hamilton, 28 Year Old F1 Champion, prefers Manual Transmissions too for his personal sports cars. He purchased a Pagani Zonda, and custom ordered it with a Manual Transmission.

I understand both sides of the argument, but for myself,I sincerely hope Porsche continues to offer a MT in the United States. If not, my 991 may be my last Porsche and I'll have to keep it forever, which wouldn't be a bad thing. It quite possibly could be incredibly valuable, years ahead when it becomes a Classic

Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
RaceCarDriver is infamous around these parts
I personally prefer the manual. I was 39 years old before I ever owned a car with an automatic transmission and that was for a Cherokee SRT-8, no manual offered. I've owned 15+ sports cars all with manual transmissions including my current Cayman S and former 996 C4S.

I've been reading a lot about the predicting of future collectible cars, and all are ones with manual transmissions. Once Automated Manuals become the norm, collectors and enthusiast may be searching for manual trans cars.

I don't think there will be a market for a 20 year old 911 with a PDK gearbox, or even a 10 year old PDK 911. What will is cost to replace two clutches rather than one? Who knows what it will cost to replace a PDK gear box?, but that is just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
In all probability, as technology gets better and better, the MT will slowly disappear, I am afraid. I remember the days when you had to pay extra to buy an automatic car, now you have to pay extra to get a MT car. Also, the population of people who know how to drive a MT car has become smaller as car companies continue to manufacture cars without a clutch pedal. In the future, when they see an "antique" car with one, they will ask, "what's that?"

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I personally prefer the manual. I was 39 years old before I ever owned a car with an automatic transmission and that was for a Cherokee SRT-8, no manual offered. I've owned 15+ sports cars all with manual transmissions including my current Cayman S and former 996 C4S.

I've been reading a lot about the predicting of future collectible cars, and all are ones with manual transmissions. Once Automated Manuals become the norm, collectors and enthusiast may be searching for manual trans cars.

I don't think there will be a market for a 20 year old 911 with a PDK gearbox, or even a 10 year old PDK 911. What will is cost to replace two clutches rather than one? Who knows what it will cost to replace a PDK gear box?, but that is just my opinion.
It cost almost $3000 to replace my clutch and throughout bearing in my 2007 at 40,000 miles.

ChuckJ

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM
RaceCarDriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
It cost almost $3000 to replace my clutch and throughout bearing in my 2007 at 40,000 miles.

ChuckJ
and that is for a manual trans. I guess we have to assume two clutches in a PDK will cost atleast $6,000.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
and that is for a manual trans. I guess we have to assume two clutches in a PDK will cost atleast $6,000.
It will be interesting to see how they hold up, what the repair cost and frequency is and what the MTBF winds up actually being.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gene G
Just like real hot rods have 3 pedals so do real sport cars. Race cars are better with only 2 pedals. Hot rods and sport cars are more fun to drive with 3 pedals, maybe not faster just more fun.
My feelings also. I have owned M3's with SMG and DCT, along with other cars with regular automatics with paddle shifters. For me, they are all the same, meaning I just get bored with them. No doubt the PDK shifts faster and smoother than I can, and is much better in a competitive track event, but I don't track my car, and a manual is just so much more fun to drive.

I am sure Porsche would love to make all its 911's with PDK. I think it is a high profit item for them, plus it would be cheaper just to offer one transmission choice. I have little doubt that is the way they are heading. Plus, I think their 911 target market prefers an automatic type transmission. Those of us that prefer a manual are a dying breed. Better enjoy our manuals while we can.