Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Exclamation Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Maybe there's some truth in it?

Even Walter says he doesn't need it any more...

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...214-2efl8.html

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
quoted from the article:
"One potential saviour for the manual gearbox could be the United States market. While Americans generally prefer automatics, most Porsche sports cars sold in the States have a manual gearbox."

can this possible be true? seems like pdk is much more common in the us based on 6speed threads.

great article, thanks for posting it speed 21!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oldman40
quoted from the article:
"One potential saviour for the manual gearbox could be the United States market. While Americans generally prefer automatics, most Porsche sports cars sold in the States have a manual gearbox."

can this possible be true? seems like pdk is much more common in the us based on 6speed threads.

great article, thanks for posting it speed 21!
As hard as it is to believe, and given all the PDK fans here on 6, I guess Porsche must know its market, so based on that the future for the manual rests in the hands of the USA buyer.

Thanks all you PDK buyers, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Now look what you've gone and done...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Get'em while you can! I think this generation of the 911 may be one the last but like I have said many times before, proof is in the pudding. Lets see the numbers? I was at a Porsche event last week and almost everyone in my group ordered the new MT?!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Get'em while you can! I think this generation of the 911 may be one the last but like I have said many times before, proof is in the pudding. Lets see the numbers? I was at a Porsche event last week and almost everyone in my group ordered the new MT?!
Just as bloody well! It's bad enough as it is without the Canadians adding fuel to the fire!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Porsche also states...

Porsche: 911 and Cayman to remain 6-cylinder; manual gearboxes to continue

http://www.caradvice.com.au/214790/p...oxes-continue/

Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Haku
Porsche also states...

Porsche: 911 and Cayman to remain 6-cylinder; manual gearboxes to continue

http://www.caradvice.com.au/214790/p...oxes-continue/
I read that article earlier on actually but thanks for linking it up for the others.

It seems like Porsche changes their mind like the wind as each new model is released. One minute the manual is staying, the next they are only hanging on to it whilst the USA makes the numbers viable. Maybe they are just flying a kite having Walter weighing in to the PDK argument to stimulate sales....or, maybe they've made a truckload of PDK GT3's they will need to get rid of shortly. Here's an idea. Boycott the PDK.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I'd be curious if they will eventually start charging the premium for a manual as an option, with PDK standard, and at what point that premium would cut into the manual sales. I would think they spent at least a few bucks on R&D for the 7 speed manual, which in all likelihood is being subsidized by the PDK buyers?

I've always been a manual guy, with the 991 being my first non manual sports car, largely for practical (partial DD), performance (anticipate some track time), personal (easier to convince soon to be wife since she can drive it lol), and resale reasons. I don't see myself buying a current gen car w/ a manual trans again. I am still pondering a nice MT 993 though, maybe in a year or two.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I bought a manual, and am very happy with it. But, this will probably be the last manual I buy.

This will be the last great 911 for a manual transmission. We are seeing a shift to hybrid-type engine setups in the future, and the automatic manuals are getting that good.

I think of my naturally aspirated, manual 911 as the last emperor, if you will. A legacy in its own time. But damn if I don't bow to tradition and enjoy every minute of it.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Really enjoying what is probably my last manual too. Fully understand. I love her dearly.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
My first car was a '63 Ford Falcon with "three on the tree", next was a
'65 Plymouth Barracuda with "four on the floor".

Finally......

"Seven with a computer brain"

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-18-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Without a manual I would not have purchased a 911.

I have had automatic transmission sports cars in the past and the only time I had any fun was when I drove it fast. I was afraid I would kill myself.

When driving normally, it just seemed like I was driving a smaller family sedan.

The fact that the PDK shifts fast is really irrelevent to me as I am not driving the car at top speed most of the time anyway.

With a manual I can enjoy the 1st few gears at high rev's and then back off before going too fast.

I know you can do that with the PDK but I didn't like the smooth transition throught the gears with the automatic (PDK) as I prefer a little burst of acceleration when upshifting.

The PDK might be better for track use but I don't anticipate much of that. The new Rev-Matching feature on the manual's might even it up on the track a bit as well; Wish I had that feature.

I don't want to offend any PDK owners, but if Porsche is going to take away the manual then those of us who prefer manual's may need to promote the virtues of the manual over the PDK to prospective buyers a little more.

DD in traffic or the desire for high speed track use, PDK, otherwise the Manual is very appealing.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
You know what would be brilliant? Offer a manual-only PDK.

Eliminate the third pedal. Let the computer control the clutch. But keep the gated shifter and have the computer control the clutching when it is shifted. AND disallow the shift into any gear that will blow the engine.

It is essentially the manual side of the current PDK, but without the "tap up and tap down" piece. Let it stick in position, so we still feel like we are rowing gears.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gulrey22
I don't want to offend any PDK owners, but if Porsche is going to take away the manual then those of us who prefer manual's may need to promote the virtues of the manual over the PDK to prospective buyers a little more.
What differentiates Porsche from many others, and has been profitable for them, is their ability to offer choice. Their history has been of evolution without disposition. So nothing drastic. I don't see that changing and therefore feel that they will continue to offer their current choices of transmission.

Whether one prefers a PDK or manual, I'm glad that there is a choice and I'd like to see that maintained. I'm confident Porsche will. Therefore the only thing needed is to offer fair commentary about ones own experiences with their own choice of tranny.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by certified_prime
I think of my naturally aspirated, manual 911 as the last emperor, if you will. A legacy in its own time. But damn if I don't bow to tradition and enjoy every minute of it.
Wow, you've really nailed it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.