Front plate mounting option.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I missed that the one above has the Sport Design front. So do I so I'm quite happy with the look.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kes7u
Brianja, I would love to see pictures when you get a chance. I was planning on the skene as well. I assume you can mount the front plate lower, which I think would look better. Thanks in advance!

Kevin
I snapped a few just now with my phone for this thread. Real, higher-quality photos will be taken when the car is clean again.

The bracket is very well made.

I initially ordered the extra-short bracket because that was what they recommended for the 991 front bumper. When the car came in and we test-fit it we realized that the mounting depth for the sport design front bumper was deeper and needed a deeper bracket. Skene Design was incredibly helpful with getting the longer bracket to me as quickly as possible. Excellent customer service.

I chose to change to larger rubber pads behind the bracket to protect the front bumper. The ones that Skene provided would probably be sufficient, but living in NYC I am more worried than the typical owner that I will be bumped while (evil) people park.

Here are the preliminary photos:

Attached Images      
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
Brianja - that's the best looking front plate I've seen so far. Congrats!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned
Naaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura about
Brianja,

What size did you end up getting after the extra short did not fit?

Thanks,

Naaranha

Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CO997
Brianja - that's the best looking front plate I've seen so far. Congrats!
Thanks! I'm happy with it and I like that I can take it back off for photos if I wanted and it would look like it came from the factory.

Originally Posted by Naaranha
Brianja,

What size did you end up getting after the extra short did not fit?

Thanks,

Naaranha
We went one deeper to "short". I'm pleased with the result, but would probably go one more step again if I was doing it from scratch. It would just give a little more adjustability. You can see it the best in the third picture... the plate is angled down very slightly. Going to the "medium" bracket would allow it to be perfectly vertical (or even angled up slightly).

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
While I like this and I also have the Sport Desgin Spoilers front and rear my car is an X51 and I don't want to block air into the centre radiator/cooler.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
While I like this and I also have the Sport Desgin Spoilers front and rear my car is an X51 and I don't want to block air into the centre radiator/cooler.

John in Vancouver
100% agree. The nice thing about this bracket is that it is very adjustable. I chose to slide mine down very low and into that center space for aesthetics. I don't have the X51, so it is safe. If you didn't want to block as much of that opening you could adjust it up so it sits higher (more like the factory mount).

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Where to you get this mount? I've never seen it up here in Canada. Also, I'm not totally fussed about two holes in the bumper as all my Porsche's have had that. If doing something other than factory I have to source and get it here within 2 weeks. Help!

John in Vancouver

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
OK, I found them on the Internet. Just need them to answer the phone as I've left this so late (I need it here in Vancouver within 2 weeks which USPS won't do that quickly.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
john52 is infamous around these parts
Brianja, what type of fastener did you use to attach the Skene brackets to the underside of the front "rad opening"?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
OK, I found them on the Internet. Just need them to answer the phone as I've left this so late (I need it here in Vancouver within 2 weeks which USPS won't do that quickly.

John in Vancouver
Glad you found them. Hopefully they can help you out.

Originally Posted by john52
Brianja, what type of fastener did you use to attach the Skene brackets to the underside of the front "rad opening"?
Double sided tape, mounting screws and a correctly sized drill bit were provided with the bracket.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Gerry Skene called me and I placed the order.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
Brianja,

Thank you so much for the pictures. I will definitely take this route. To me, this lower mounting looks SO much better than the typical bumper mount seen earlier in the thread.

Kevin

Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brianja
I snapped a few just now with my phone for this thread. Real, higher-quality photos will be taken when the car is clean again.

The bracket is very well made.

I initially ordered the extra-short bracket because that was what they recommended for the 991 front bumper. When the car came in and we test-fit it we realized that the mounting depth for the sport design front bumper was deeper and needed a deeper bracket. Skene Design was incredibly helpful with getting the longer bracket to me as quickly as possible. Excellent customer service.

I chose to change to larger rubber pads behind the bracket to protect the front bumper. The ones that Skene provided would probably be sufficient, but living in NYC I am more worried than the typical owner that I will be bumped while (evil) people park.
That looks good.....unknown in advance to me before delivery, the dealer took it upon himself to install the factory mount & punched holes in the bumper face. Rather than give them both barrels, decided to live with it.

I had a US Millworks tow eye set up on another car, but decided the off the center look was not right on the 991.

Side note, in WA State they are cracking down on tinted windows - another source of income.

Attached Images  

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-21-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
I took some new shots of the Skene Design front license plate bracket on Sunday (with a clean car this time). The previous set really didn't do it justice:

Attached Images         

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front plate mounting option.