Front plate mounting option.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Front plate mounting option.

Unfortunately in Ontario where I live, the front plate is mandatory. I use to run with out one a few years ago, but local police cracked down on it, and I was getting too many tickets.

Now on the front of the 991 Porsche does not have a elegant way of mounting the front plate, especially our large north american style plates.

I have been thinking of mounting the plate where the centre radiator would go. The stock front bumper there is one piece of plastic, so it would be easy to drill holes, might have to cut the top and bottom of the plate itself a little, but I doubt police, especially if moving would notice, just notice that its actually there.

When my car arrives, I am going to have my local shop see if they can fabricate something for me to mount the plate there with out damage the centre portion too much, and making it look flush and as OEM as possible.

Anyone else thought of this, have suggestions on how to mount it up? Not just going to drill some holes and zip tie it up, kinda tacky for a 100K car, LOL.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
There are a few options, one is use the tow hook and the other screwing on the underside of the bumper.

http://www.rennline.com/Screw-in-Lic...info/E107.108/

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Installation.shtml

Hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
There are a few options, one is use the tow hook and the other screwing on the underside of the bumper.

http://www.rennline.com/Screw-in-Lic...info/E107.108/

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Installation.shtml

Hope this helps.
Tow hook I have seen, its sits very far out over the bumper, Im looking for something that does not ruin the lines of the car and is more discrete.

Thanks though.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I don't understand - you don't want to use the front plate mount that Porsche will provide with your car?

Mine was painless to install - there are grooves under the front of the bumper lip that match the Porsche plate mount - they just slide together and it self-aligns. You just need a screwdriver and the screws included with the mount do their thing. I was kinda wracked with pain about it, but it really turned out to be painless..and I prefer the center-aligned look. Others will of course gasp in horror at the thought. Anyway, just incase you didn't know, Porsche gives you one. The side mounts also can cover up or interfere with front parking sensors, if installed.

Last edited by nicoli; 02-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by nicoli
Sorry I don't understand - you don't want to use the front plate mount that Porsche will provide with your car?

Mine was painless to install - there are grooves under the front of the bumper lip that match the Porsche plate mount - they just slide together and it self-aligns. You just need a screwdriver and the screws included with the mount do their thing. I was kinda wracked with pain about it, but it really turned out to be painless..and I prefer the center-aligned look. Others will of course gasp in horror at the thought. Anyway, just incase you didn't know, Porsche gives you one. The side mounts also can cover up or interfere with front parking sensors, if installed.
I don't like how it sits in the high up and in the middle of the front bumper.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe you want something like this?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
onapex is infamous around these parts
Are you getting pulled over by the cops as you are driving or are the tickets once you've parked? If it's the latter, I've seen a mounting device that attaches to the front hood. Basically you have to open the front boot and clip it on, then close the boot. Then you can drive w/o the plates and only put them on once you're parked. Actually, I suppose you could also use it while driving. But it's a clip-on so it doesn't require any drilling. It looks really ugly (because it's a clip-on), but it requires no installation. Let me see if I can find it online. I might get one too. A lot of times I just don't drive around San Francisco because I'm paranoid about getting a $200 no plate ticket once I park. Meter maids are vicious!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by onapex
Are you getting pulled over by the cops as you are driving or are the tickets once you've parked? If it's the latter, I've seen a mounting device that attaches to the front hood. Basically you have to open the front boot and clip it on, then close the boot. Then you can drive w/o the plates and only put them on once you're parked. Actually, I suppose you could also use it while driving. But it's a clip-on so it doesn't require any drilling. It looks really ugly (because it's a clip-on), but it requires no installation. Let me see if I can find it online. I might get one too. A lot of times I just don't drive around San Francisco because I'm paranoid about getting a $200 no plate ticket once I park. Meter maids are vicious!
While driving.
Police can only give you a ticket when you are with the vehicle in Toronto.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I'm going with whatever Porsche supplies. While I like the idea of centre front where the blank is that won't work as I have an oil cooler mounted there (car is X51 which gives you 3rd oil cooler). We have to have front plates here in B.C. also.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Snowczar
I'm going with whatever Porsche supplies. While I like the idea of centre front where the blank is that won't work as I have an oil cooler mounted there (car is X51 which gives you 3rd oil cooler). We have to have front plates here in B.C. also.

John in Vancouver
No choice in WA State, you either have a front plate or eventually get a ticket.

It's a source of revenue - decided not to participate & took the OEM path.

Attached Images    

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-19-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar

John in Vancouver
Plan plan is to mount it there, where your third rad is. It won't ruin the lines of the front bumper there. Hopefully my shop can mock something up.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HotHonda
No choice in WA State, you either have a front plate or eventually get a ticket.

It's a source of revenue in WA because the police arent smart enough to deal with real crime cases that require IQ's over 10. Comes from the all the krisp kreme donuts they
eat everyday on the taxpayers dollar, then require costly medical treatment to handle their obeasty related problems.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
I used the Skene design bracket for my front plate. I really like it. It is pretty easy to install (took me 20 minutes taking my time) and doesn't leave any holes in the face of the front bumper.

I've been meaning to take some pictures, but with the recent northeast weather the car hasn't been cleaned since the install 2 weeks ago. Ideally, I will get some taken and put up later this week.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
Brianja, I would love to see pictures when you get a chance. I was planning on the skene as well. I assume you can mount the front plate lower, which I think would look better. Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HotHonda

First off -- your car looks gorgeous! And the front plate actually looks more at home with the Sport Design because of its unique shape.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front plate mounting option.