HRE P40SC wheels for Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Nico911 is infamous around these parts
HRE P40SC wheels for Carrera S

I have been thinking on buying a second set of wheels (I have tried to explain to my wife that she does not have only one pair of shoes, does she?), and I am considering the HRE p40SC wheels. First question: who knows what is the difference between the P40S and the P40SC? Second question: What is the offset for the original Carrera S wheels and what offset do I have to order the HRE to have a well flushed wheel appearance? Third question: Anybody knows what would the difference in weight be between the stock wheels and the HRE's? Fourth question: I was considering using Michelin Sport Pilot instead of my original Pirelli PZERO's, any insight on the choice?

Thanks for the feedback. Making this decision is going to be difficult since I cannot just drive to a local wheel shop and try the wheels on due to my really, really far South American location!

Any input will be very appreciated.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nico911
First question: who knows what is the difference between the P40S and the P40SC?
Second question: What is the offset for the original Carrera S wheels and what offset do I have to order the HRE to have a well flushed wheel appearance? Third question: Anybody knows what would the difference in weight be between the stock wheels and the HRE's?
Fourth question: I was considering using Michelin Sport Pilot instead of my original Pirelli PZERO's, any insight on the choice?

1. The center hub portion is where I see differences. Beyond that, I have no idea
2. Careful, somebody may come back and tell you to read the manual in a much ruder tone. I've seen it happen, recently.
3. I would suggest giving HRE a call. HRE Contact Info I am sure they will answer all your questions regarding the offset, weights, and differences. They should have all the base information for the major manufacturers.
4 I have heard nothing but great things about the Michelins. The only bad thing I have seen is that the tread life is shorter than the stock Pirellis. I plan to move up to them when my current tread life ends.

Now, you wanted input, but mine is closer to opinion.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Lol love the analogy you used with your wife. I'll have to use that one!
Also Im sure you cant go wrong with HRE's but yes i agree with Chupacabra, i would just contact HRE directly to answer all you questions.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I have been thinking on buying a second set of wheels (I have tried to explain to my wife that she does not have only one pair of shoes, does she?), and I am considering the HRE p40SC wheels. First question: who knows what is the difference between the P40S and the P40SC? Second question: What is the offset for the original Carrera S wheels and what offset do I have to order the HRE to have a well flushed wheel appearance? Third question: Anybody knows what would the difference in weight be between the stock wheels and the HRE's? Fourth question: I was considering using Michelin Sport Pilot instead of my original Pirelli PZERO's, any insight on the choice?

Thanks for the feedback. Making this decision is going to be difficult since I cannot just drive to a local wheel shop and try the wheels on due to my really, really far South American location!

I do not know about the offset of the Carrera S wheels, but regarding the weight, OEM wheels are on the heavy side. Here are a few numbers provided by HotHonda:

Weights of OEM wheels:

19” Base Wheel
8.5”x19” = 22lbs 11oz
11” x 19” = 27lbs 5oz

20” Carrera S Wheel
8.5” x 20” 23lbs 10oz
11” x 20 27lbs 12oz

20” Design Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 11oz
11"x20" 30lbs 4oz

20” Classic Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 3oz
11"x20" 28lbs 4oz

20” Sport Techno Wheel
9"x20" 27lbs 2oz
11.5"x20" 31lbs 1oz

And here by Tom991s for the complete wheels: stock Carrera S 20 inch wheels with OEM P Zeros come in at

46.4 lbs front
57.0 lbs rear

I am running Victor Innsbrucks for the track and they sit pretty flush with et45 at the front and 55 at the rear (11" rims).

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are by far the best tires. I have had them on my GTI, S4, Cayman R, GT3 and 991S and they beat the Pirelli's or even Michelin PS2's in terms of grip, wear, noise and weight. Best value for money for a performance tire (unless you are willing to go for a lower price point where I was positively surprised by Hankook Ventus V12's). Do not bother about "N-rating".

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Hankook Ventus V12's on my SL55 and they are great tyres. Much quieter and better riding than the Michelin PS2's I had before. Love the HRE wheels.

Last edited by Gene G; 02-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
GTSLVR991S is infamous around these parts
I second the praise on the Michelin pilot super sports. I had them on my e92 m3 for a good year for both daily and track use and were nothing short of spectacular. I'm itching to switch out the pzeros right now but then I thought wasting $1800 tires wouldn't be the smartest move.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute

1) I believe that the HRE "SC" lineup is designed to be more concave and lighter in weight than the "S" versions.

2) I'm not certain of the offset of the OEM wheels, but it does not really matter when dealing with a custom wheel manufacturer like HRE. They will not want to tell you offsets in the end anyway. You guide them to how aggressive you want the fitment to be (OEM-like, aggressive but not requiring fender rolling, hella-flush, etc.) and they make it work. The "magic" of the offsets they use to get their fitments is something they keep quiet.

3) HRE will be able to tell you an approximation of the weights of the new wheels when you talk to them or one of their dealers. Then you can compare to the weights of the OEM wheels posted previously in this thread to compare. Keep in mind that if you are changing tire sizes you need to account for the change in tire weight as well.

4) If the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are available in your sizing and you don't mind selling or scrapping the P-Zeros then don't hesitate. The PSS are the best tires I have ever daily-driven. They are amazingly grippy and sharp handling, while still being comfortable and quiet.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
991 Carrera S offsets are
ET51 for the front and ET70 for the rear. This is for the 20" wheels.

991 Carrera 4S
ET51 and ET52 for the rear.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brianja
1) I believe that the HRE "SC" lineup is designed to be more concave and lighter in weight than the "S" versions.

2) I'm not certain of the offset of the OEM wheels, but it does not really matter when dealing with a custom wheel manufacturer like HRE. They will not want to tell you offsets in the end anyway. You guide them to how aggressive you want the fitment to be (OEM-like, aggressive but not requiring fender rolling, hella-flush, etc.) and they make it work. The "magic" of the offsets they use to get their fitments is something they keep quiet.

3) HRE will be able to tell you an approximation of the weights of the new wheels when you talk to them or one of their dealers. Then you can compare to the weights of the OEM wheels posted previously in this thread to compare. Keep in mind that if you are changing tire sizes you need to account for the change in tire weight as well.

4) If the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are available in your sizing and you don't mind selling or scrapping the P-Zeros then don't hesitate. The PSS are the best tires I have ever daily-driven. They are amazingly grippy and sharp handling, while still being comfortable and quiet.
Correct, the SC version will have slightly more concave, its not a tradition concave wheel in that it almost has a step inward to get the concave look, a lot of wheel manufactures are using this technique.

The SCs also have more milling work and more material removed in certain areas to bring the weight down a bit more.

HREs are not bad wheels, would not take them over BBS or the wheels from Champion though at the same price point.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by STALKER
Correct, the SC version will have slightly more concave, its not a tradition concave wheel in that it almost has a step inward to get the concave look, a lot of wheel manufactures are using this technique.

The SCs also have more milling work and more material removed in certain areas to bring the weight down a bit more.

HREs are not bad wheels, would not take them over BBS or the wheels from Champion though at the same price point.

Good luck!!!
Stalker, any insight on why not the HRE's? What would you consider to be their shortcomings vs BBS or Champion? Or is it a personal preference of yours? Thanks for your comments!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Stalker, any insight on why not the HRE's? What would you consider to be their shortcomings vs BBS or Champion? Or is it a personal preference of yours? Thanks for your comments!
I have purchased a lot, and I mean a lot of wheels over the years. Two sets of HREs, the first set was a disaster, but that was about 10 years ago, and it was not from this line of wheels.

BBS construction is flawless, they are a true motorsport company, and they know how to build wheels. Its no mistake you see them at all racing events and that trickles down to their passenger car products.

Champion wheels IMO, are some of the best wheels on the market, First they are 8000 ton forged wheel, HRE is a 4000 ton forged wheel, or might be slightly higher. Now both are extremely strong. The Champion wheel is made in a factory in Japan, only a few can make wheels this strong and light, they are also produce many of the racing wheels you see. They are light, strong, and the finish is perfect, love their powder coats.
HRE for me is still more "show then go" company. They have done a very good job lately in coming out with better quality products, lighter and stronger, especially with their one piece forged wheels.

For instance, if you go by a reversed lip HRE rim, so you get that nice big flat lip, they literally reverse it and it has a section inside the barrel that collects water and makes the car undrivable almost because the wheel vibration is so violent. Now if you want the same flat lip on a BBS or OZ wheel, the wheel is properly designed and engineered where the inside lip is sill completely flat. Just one of those things that you get from companies like BBK, OZ, VOLK.

If I was going to purchase HRE rims, I would get the series you are looking at, good wheels, but I would not buy them over say a set of BBS FIs or Champion wheels. But that is just me.
I only buy forged wheels.

Last edited by STALKER; 02-21-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
We have seen quite a few HRE wheels come through here and they always are a great looking, lightweight product that extremely great quality. Its unfortunate to say the least that Stalker had a bad experience, but I can assure you that the place is run by engineers and I would not hesitate to put these on my own car. Nico, you have a PM.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by STALKER
I have purchased a lot, and I mean a lot of wheels over the years. Two sets of HREs, the first set was a disaster, but that was about 10 years ago, and it was not from this line of wheels.

BBS construction is flawless, they are a true motorsport company, and they know how to build wheels. Its no mistake you see them at all racing events and that trickles down to their passenger car products.

Champion wheels IMO, are some of the best wheels on the market, First they are 8000 ton forged wheel, HRE is a 4000 ton forged wheel, or might be slightly higher. Now both are extremely strong. The Champion wheel is made in a factory in Japan, only a few can make wheels this strong and light, they are also produce many of the racing wheels you see. They are light, strong, and the finish is perfect, love their powder coats.
HRE for me is still more "show then go" company. They have done a very good job lately in coming out with better quality products, lighter and stronger, especially with their one piece forged wheels.

For instance, if you go by a reversed lip HRE rim, so you get that nice big flat lip, they literally reverse it and it has a section inside the barrel that collects water and makes the car undrivable almost because the wheel vibration is so violent. Now if you want the same flat lip on a BBS or OZ wheel, the wheel is properly designed and engineered where the inside lip is sill completely flat. Just one of those things that you get from companies like BBK, OZ, VOLK.

If I was going to purchase HRE rims, I would get the series you are looking at, good wheels, but I would not buy them over say a set of BBS FIs or Champion wheels. But that is just me.
I only buy forged wheels.
Those are enough reasons for having a second look on other wheels. It's just that I like so much that P40SC design. Nevertheless, I have seen something similar in Vorstein (VS-140 Series) and D2 Forged (MB-1) wheels. The Vorsteins are 1 piece construction, which I prefer. The D2 forged are 2 piece construction which could be a good or bad thing depending on your needs (I think they would not be my first choice). I have never heard much about Vorstein and heard nothing about D2 Forged, but that might be my fault: I am a sports car rookie; this is my first! Thanks again for your time in commenting!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Hello. Just to chime in, we make monoblock and three piece forged wheels. Here's an example of our design done in MB1 (monoblock), CV1 (three piece concave) and FMS01 (three piece entry level forged wheels).

Attached Images    
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I do not know about the offset of the Carrera S wheels, but regarding the weight, OEM wheels are on the heavy side. Here are a few numbers provided by HotHonda:

Weights of OEM wheels:

19” Base Wheel
8.5”x19” = 22lbs 11oz
11” x 19” = 27lbs 5oz

20” Carrera S Wheel
8.5” x 20” 23lbs 10oz
11” x 20 27lbs 12oz

20” Design Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 11oz
11"x20" 30lbs 4oz

20” Classic Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 3oz
11"x20" 28lbs 4oz

20” Sport Techno Wheel
9"x20" 27lbs 2oz
11.5"x20" 31lbs 1oz

And here by Tom991s for the complete wheels: stock Carrera S 20 inch wheels with OEM P Zeros come in at

46.4 lbs front
57.0 lbs rear

I am running Victor Innsbrucks for the track and they sit pretty flush with et45 at the front and 55 at the rear (11" rims).

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are by far the best tires. I have had them on my GTI, S4, Cayman R, GT3 and 991S and they beat the Pirelli's or even Michelin PS2's in terms of grip, wear, noise and weight. Best value for money for a performance tire (unless you are willing to go for a lower price point where I was positively surprised by Hankook Ventus V12's). Do not bother about "N-rating".
Hey SM_ATL, thanks for your detailed information. To me your like a PAA (Porsche Accessory Authority). I have read your 911 journal (got to page 60 something to find out you bought a GTS; congrats!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE P40SC wheels for Carrera S