What to do with all those blank buttons on the console?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I want a set. Someone please make them. Both of my sons had them in their VW GTIs.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Those are AWSOME! Someone needs to sell them. Hey sponsors, anyone want to take up the challenge. Could do the buttons from the Mach 5 also. Oh no, I just dated myself and labeled myself a geek, all at the same time.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Crabman141 is infamous around these parts
Now those are pretty cool !! Nice Job sir.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
Here are some thoughts, plenty of similar ideas out there, but I am very proud of the "NO GAS" and "TOXIC"

OK I've got some good news and some bad news...

The good news... your little chrome strips will be on their way to you soon!
The bad... they won't fit!
I'm sorry buddy!

Your thread made me realize I keep forgetting to make that damn button for my second set of valves of my (to be) customized exhaust system.
Soooo I started looking more closely and realized that the "blank" buttons do not have the cut out for the chrome strips...
This means I had to try and remove the existing logo of one of the extra button in my "replacement kit"... and what do ya know the black (background) paint comes off before the damn logo!!

Which means I had to sand it down, paint over it with black and figure out a way to mask of WTF (the designation of the custom set of exhaust valves hehehe) but of course the black paint texture, colour and finish doesn't match with the rest...dammit!

So now I'm going to have to try different types of black spay paint, different application distances (texture) and try a semi gloss/ satin finish clear... of course we haven't even talked about finding the right white for the lettering/logo yet.
This is turning out to be as complicated as I had feared...
How did you have in mind to tackle this?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Being from JerZ, I say we call up Porsche and make them an offer that they can't refuse - money.

But you guys need to speak to the mother ship anyway. Since you have post-merger cars, shouldn't you be seeing about your interior dashboard mounted bud vase?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Being from JerZ, I say we call up Porsche and make them an offer that they can't refuse - money.

But you guys need to speak to the mother ship anyway. Since you have post-merger cars, shouldn't you be seeing about your interior dashboard mounted bud vase?
Could you pick a flower for me to put on my dash there buddy... yeah the one right down there... no a bit to the left... hereeee ya go!

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
Here you go

WHOOOOOOOW I LIKE!!!!
I may have to steel this idea from ya...

Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK I've got some good news and some bad news...

The good news... your little chrome strips will be on their way to you soon!
The bad... they won't fit!
I'm sorry buddy!

Your thread made me realize I keep forgetting to make that damn button for my second set of valves of my (to be) customized exhaust system.
Soooo I started looking more closely and realized that the "blank" buttons do not have the cut out for the chrome strips...
This means I had to try and remove the existing logo of one of the extra button in my "replacement kit"... and what do ya know the black (background) paint comes off before the damn logo!!

Which means I had to sand it down, paint over it with black and figure out a way to mask of WTF (the designation of the custom set of exhaust valves hehehe) but of course the black paint texture, colour and finish doesn't match with the rest...dammit!

So now I'm going to have to try different types of black spay paint, different application distances (texture) and try a semi gloss/ satin finish clear... of course we haven't even talked about finding the right white for the lettering/logo yet.
This is turning out to be as complicated as I had feared...
How did you have in mind to tackle this?
No worries about shipping me the chrome strips if they don't work, but thanks a million for the offer.

I have no plan to make those decals for the blank button at this point, the flat, black blank button area is 2cm x 15cm. Meaning those graphics are fairly tiny. Even if the vendor can make the decal that small (they have to peel off the negative and leave with the positive art to apply on), there is still a problem of applying them on because of all the tiny lines.

You can see the 991 seat back graphics, I had a hard time to applying the area that has more details

For those who aren't familiar with the process, you can get decal made easily from places that make signs for store front. This is the cheapest process that that is close to the original factory screen printing.

Here is the decal at actual size. You can see it will be very hard to get those thin line to stay, but doable with a lot of patient

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
It is yours buddy.

Here is what Porsche use, vs what I created, which has more details specific 991 detail, like the tail light

OK I'm officially impressed!
I really, really like your version!

Re button decals... I agree it's just to damn small, that's why I'm trying to do it with a mask and paint instead.
I may end up doing a negative mask on a white base (spray black on top) rather than starting with with a black button and using a positive mask to spray the actual logo with white paint.

One way or the other I'm going to find a way...dammit!!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
OK I'm officially impressed!
I really, really like your version!

Re button decals... I agree it's just to damn small, that's why I'm trying to do it with a mask and paint instead.
I may end up doing a negative mask on a white base (spray black on top) rather than starting with with a black button and using a positive mask to spray the actual logo with white paint.

One way or the other I'm going to find a way...dammit!!
Thanks, Porsche should ask me to consult on their graphics next time .

Mask and paint? How long have you been off meds? Oh man, you have to do a time lapse video and post it here. My friend, that is determination and OCD worth watching.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Could you pick a flower for me to put on my dash there buddy... yeah the one right down there... no a bit to the left... hereeee ya go!

Sid
!
Cheers!

Seriously, drive in good health!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by mdc
Here you go

Those are great!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Super cool mdc. Thanks for sharing. I will play with it this weekend, and if successful let everyone know.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Those stickers are !

(I have an inherent problem with blank buttons to begin with. Think - OCD during purchase. I would have purchased options to populate those buttons, even if I had no intention of using it)

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM
Jacky328 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Super cool mdc. Thanks for sharing. I will play with it this weekend, and if successful let everyone know.
Can't wait to see

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to do with all those blank buttons on the console?