coolant top-up ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Owners manual pp 223 paragraph 2 FWIW

Read off the engine coolant level.

"When the engine is cold and the vehicle is level, the red display (ball) must be within the area of the arrow between the min & the max markings. "
correct...i took the reading on a dead cold engine, filled a 50/50 mixture when i returned from an extended trip I waited until the engine was warm and while it was at max, there was still significant room to add more (which I did not do).

Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Billyii is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rainier
Well I can only offer some advise related to some of our aircraft engines. Some of them are liquid cooled and like using anti-freeze that has a bit of water soluable oil in there. That helps to lubricate seals around the moving parts of the water pump and generally prevents corrosion.
Finding suitable anti-freeze is easy: If it says "recommended by GM" or something to that effect on the bottle it is OK. As final check we put a drop between index finger and thumb, then rub it. If it contains oil - it's obvious at that point.
This dates back to times where certain GM products had pretty serious corrosion issues around their water cooled engines - I had one of those...

I'm pretty sure a product like that should be just fine...

Rainier

Rainier

Thanks for the information on anti-freeze. Anti-freeze with lubricate or oil is probably a good idea. I will read the labels for lubricates and recommendations on the various brands before selecting one to buy.

Thanks again.

Billy

Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Talked to a Porsche tech about this as my coolant level was at minimum. Was worried and curious at the same time as none of my gauges went into alert mode and the temp gauge was normal. He said that both oil and coolant should be checked when the engine is warm. Checking level when the engine is cold could give you a misreading. I checked when engine was cold and coolant was at min. Will drive the car and warm up the engine and check again at that time as see if there is a difference. I think the tech may be right as, if the coolant is actually at min, the temp gauge would have shot up and I would have received some visual warnings . . .
My service manager says that the first sign that the coolant is getting low enough to be concerned (other than the min indicator in the coolant fill area) is that when the car first starts warming up, the temperature will go above the 200 and then settle back down to 200. The second indication is the low coolant light. And he didn't say the third, but I assume it's when the temp skyrockets and the sign says "congratulations on your expected new engine". He told me to bring it in and they would top it off and check it.

ChuckJ

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Dashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really nice
The problem is the top up must be changed - when the pressure goes high it's not controlling good - they changed mine for the same problem under warranty.