997.2 GT3 RS power steering fluid leak problems NOT covered by Porsche warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
first911 is infamous around these parts
997.2 GT3 RS power steering fluid leak problems NOT covered by Porsche warranty

I wanted to share my bad experience with Porsche North America. I absolutely love my car but Porsche does not stand behind their product. They better sell the car without warranty.
I have a 2010 GT3 RS, it is stock, I used DOT tires, and the car is used in D.E. event (driving education events). The car was never involved in any race.
In the last 1,000 miles I have TWO power steering fluid leaks. The car is still under warranty and Porsche denies paying for the repair of the last leak because the car was used on the track for a DE. Can you believe it?
I contacted Porsche Customer Commitment and I tried to explain my situation. However, they denied coverage again.
If you watch all the marketing videos and materials you will notice they promote the GT3 and GT3 RS as their most track oriented car. However, their warranty does not cover you if you used the car for what was built for, even when they promoted the car as a track car.
I will understand the point if I buy a Kia, or a Toyota Corolla and you use it for DE. But a Porsche, and a GT3 RS?
This is disgusting and I am walking away from the brand.

Last edited by first911; 03-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
They seem to have addressed that defect with the new 991. No more power steering fluid, no more leaks.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Good luck finding a car company that will warranty cars used on the track.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
the 2011 warranty

http://files1.porsche.com/filestore....c-2ae7d79e3371

says these are not covered by warranty:

".... Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other
events. Note 1: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the new car Limited Warranty."

Note the word I highlighted : "may" it does not say "shall" and that is a huge difference. Using the word "may" means that even race failure could be covered by the warranty.

My experience with calling 1800Porsche is that you get a really nice person answering who asks for your VIN and mileage...I give them the VIN and ask them for their Social Security Number if they keep insisting...they give up. They are not really helpful except if you need a tow.

...seems to me, IMHO, not giving advice as a Colorado Attorney, that you may have a claim against Porsche. I suggest (and you know I would) you call a consumer lawyer well versed in FTC regulations, the MAGNUSON-MOSS CONSUMER WARRANTY ACT, and your state consumer laws. While product failure during racing appears to be always covered, even cars that are raced appeared covered by a warranty if the failure does not arise during a race.

By the way, just because they show cars at real high speed with screaming engines in their ads. that's not a warranty. They are bound by their written warranty...i suggest that you take a few minutes, take some notes about what and when the failure happened and review the warranty, then call a lawyer.

Further questions...PM me.

Last edited by rnl; 03-05-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Did you fess up and tell them you took it to the track?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Ah, yes. The old "if you use the car the way we designed it, the way we test it, the way we show it in our ads, our marketing literature, our quotations, our factory driving events, our vehicles provided to magazines for test purposes or even features that we include but you use in the normal course of driving (e.g., BMW launch control) we may" deny warranty coverage trick.

I agree with rnl, get a good state lawyer. The warranty seems to say that they may/will deny claims that result "during racing or driving events" and only you know whether the PS system failed during the event. This is bolstered by the language above which says "This warranty does not cover...track use." Years ago a Toyota guy told me that this is an industry method of managing service costs since they know not many people will actually sue them.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
By the way, most consumer protection laws provide for fee shifting and punitive damages which may mean that if you win Porsche may pay the cost of your representation and punitive damages.

Contact your local bar association and ask for the referral service. They probably can set you up with an expert

Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I had a similar situation with Pirelli years ago. After pointing out their advertising for the tires etc. they finally buckled under. Not sure I could get that now though.

John in Vancouver