In coming_____racing yellow S X51

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
billkam is infamous around these parts
New porsche

Bob,

Congratulations on your new car! Your build indicates it will be amazing!

I have two questions just out of curiosity.

Smokers package??? Is that for smoking cigars?

Italian cars??? I was just wondering what you used to own, since I also had few Italian and British cars between Porsches but I always go back to Porsche in the end!

Take care.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congrats on the build it looks amazing !! Hopefully it gets here faster then expected and can't wait to see this beast

Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Congratulations Bob, that's going to be quite a monster! Can't wait to see some pictures.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I always thought yellow was a bold move, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Somehow I wish you got the GT3, for selfish reasons, so I could live vicariously though you . Enjoy and don't forget pics!!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 PM
DKC
DKC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by billkam
Bob,
Most people who order the smoker's package is for the cleaner look of a covered hole, may be for the extra 12V outlet.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by billkam
Bob,

Congratulations on your new car! Your build indicates it will be amazing!

I have two questions just out of curiosity.

Italian cars??? I was just wondering what you used to own, since I also had few Italian and British cars between Porsches but I always go back to Porsche in the end!

Take care.
The smoker's package has a nine volt outlet and is located on the center console giving it a finished look. Ah the Italians: lamborghini countach (very early model) maserati bora and an alfa romeo gtv 2000, before the body change in '75.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
Congratulations Bob, that's going to be quite a monster! Can't wait to see some pictures.
Thanks, you were one of the first to greet me to the forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice spec!! CONGRATS!! The hard part starts . . . WAITING. . . But it will be over before you know it.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Ooh, nice build you have there.

Question though. Why no PDCC? Just curious is all. I did not get it either.

I know you'll love the car, and you will be well known with the yellow standing out. Good for you!!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Ooh, nice build you have there.

Question though. Why no PDCC? Just curious is all. I did not get it either.

I know you'll love the car, and you will be well known with the yellow standing out. Good for you!!
Thanks Chup. Why no PDCC, because based on my analysis and extensive road test it ended up being an option that I did not need to have. I've read all about the benefits and measured it against the negatives and decided against the option.
As you can probably see from my build, I'm trying to improve on the hp to weight ratio (within reason) as weight is the biggest enemy of performance. In my research I came across this from the forum Rennteam 2.0 about the weight penalty of some of the options. Take it for what it's worth, but options do in fact add weight. The curb weight of a 911S with zero options is 3120 lbs. PNA vs. 3300 lbs +/- of a nicely optioned car. (Motor Trend, Car & Driver etc..)

"Our weight measurements have gotten some attention around Stuttgart, so I received this breakdown of options weight that goes some way (but not all the way) in explaining the difference between the claimed 1415kg DIN and the 1530kg we measured with the first car we tested. These are figures communicated through the PR department:

PASM & PDCC: approx 24 kg
Sunroof: approx 15 kg
18-waysport seats: approx 10 kg (for the pair, delta vs the standard 4-wayseats, does not sound like much)
Soundpaket BOSE: approx 4 kg
Sport-Design wheels: approx 4 kg
Seat ventilation: approx 3 kg
Extinguisher: approx 3 kg (which our car(s) were not equippedwith)

Another 4.5kg go in the fact that the DIN norm specifies a 90%tank while we measure with a full tank, so that's 6.4L of excess(unleaded) liquid at 0.7 density. They did not mention PSE so I amnot sure whether any weight addition results from it, neither PCM."

....and then this regarding the specifics of PDCC:

"PDCC components are:

1 - an electronic control unit (in front of the car);
2 & 8- two valve blocks, one in front of the car and one in the rear;
3& 6 & 12 - one hydraulic pump with a hydraulic reservoir andone oil/water heat exchanger (all three in the rear of the car);
4& 7 - two special designed anti-roll bars (one front-axle bar andone rear-axle bar);
5 & 10 - four actuators, two per each axleor one per each corner of the car (instead of connectinglink/suspension/stabiliser on vehicles without PDCC)
9 is the PASM switch. 11 is a T-piece. Also pipes, liquid, joints,etc.

Heavy system for a sport car if you ask me. I estimate about 20kgin parts and the heavier ones are in the rear."

I also noted that the new GT3 does not have PDCC and although the suspension geometry of the GT3 is different than that of the 991 S, weight and track usefullness had to be a consideration. The roads in my area are very good so I don't have to worry about comfort.

In the end there is no right or wrong decision regarding options and it's nice that we have all of these amazing options to choose from.

Last edited by handfull; 03-09-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by dhill911
Very nice spec!! CONGRATS!! The hard part starts . . . WAITING. . . But it will be over before you know it.
Thanks dhill, I'll be checking in with you concerning detailing tips. Do you think I should wear surgical gloves?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by handfull
I did it!!!!!!!!!! I just placed my order for a 2013 991 Carrera S. Here's my build:

Racing yellow

Sport design front fascia

Black leather interior

Premium package w/ 18 way adjustable sports seats

Sports Chrono and dials in racing yellow

Burmester

X51 power kit, sports chrono, PSE and sport exhaust tips included

PDK

PASM sport suspension

Sport design steering wheel

20 in. Carrera S wheels in platinum

Smokers package

Model deletion

I thought long and hard about placing an order for the 2014 GT3, but decided to go with the S X51. 90% of the miles driven will be canyon, highway and street driving with the balance spent at the track. The GT3 was really tempting, but it looks to be a very track focused car that would not fit my needs for 90% of the time. I'm fortunate in that where I live I will be able to spend a lot of time between 6000 and 7600 rpms, which is where the x51 will come into play. By the way, the same can be said of the GT3. Finally, when I put my ideal build together for a GT3, it came to +/-$150,000, which is a full $19,000 premium over the S X51. Yes, I got one hell of a deal!!

There are a lot of choices in this price range and after selling my track focused Z06 I was thinking long and hard about the new SRT Viper, I even had a deposit on one. But as more and more information came out about the car, I realized that it was not going to be the jeckle/hyde car I was hoping for. After spending 6 hours behind the wheel of a 2012 991 S (thank you Craig at Stevinson Imports) I knew I had to have one!! This is the wine touring / track day missile I was looking for. Now .....do I really have to wait 3 months before I can drive it!
Hi Bob. This is exactly the dilemma I am facing, and am also leaning toward the 7 spd X51. I did not know the savings was that much. What kind of a deal are you getting?
J

Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Hi Bob. This is exactly the dilemma I am facing, and am also leaning toward the 7 spd X51. I did not know the savings was that much. What kind of a deal are you getting?
J
Hi J I sent you a private email.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handfull
Thanks dhill, I'll be checking in with you concerning detailing tips. Do you think I should wear surgical gloves?
Of Course!! They sell them at Costco. You probably think I'm kidding