Normal for PDK car to creep when releasing brake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Normal for PDK car to creep when releasing brake?

My 911S will creep like an automatic transmission equipped car when I release the brake. Is this normal? Other DCT equipped cars do not creep when releasing the brake. This is not really an issue, but even after 300 miles, my car smells like burnt clutch after driving it, and I'm having a some slight hesitation when accelerating between 2600 and 3000 RPM.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
completely normal

burning smell is the preservative cr*p they spray on the engine. it goes away after a short while.
can't comment about the hesitation..there is a thread about that here somewhere. i have a base and it does not hesitate.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mtony
My 911S will creep like an automatic transmission equipped car when I release the brake. Is this normal? Other DCT equipped cars do not creep when releasing the brake. This is not really an issue, but even after 300 miles, my car smells like burnt clutch after driving it, and I'm having a some slight hesitation when accelerating between 2600 and 3000 RPM.
That's 3 different problems, right?

1). Don't know what you mean by "creep". You have a PDK? The car moves forward slightly when you take your foot off the brake? Maybe don't take your foot off until you want to actually go? You realize you have 400 HP idling and in gear? It's ready to go, make sure you are.

2). Cosmoline is a brown, sticky, tar-like substance they spray on the undercarriage to prevent corrosion. That's what you smell. Enjoy it. It's Essence of Zuffenhausen. It will go away after it burns off of the parts that get hot. One of the reasons there are 50 year old 911s still driving around.

3). There are other threads discussing the hesitation. It's the Vario-Cam adjusting. It's not there when accelerating hard, just slow to moderate, right?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
1. PDK creep. The 997 PDK completely releases the clutches at idle and is anoying when you go from a stop because the clutch grabs at just above idle. The 991 PDK has a more sophisticated engagement that stays partially engaged at idle, then depending on demand engages at different rates. For example, if you accelerate hard, it will slip to 3500 to get up to the good torque range (at least in the base model, I'm not sure about the S). Presumably, because the wet clutch is cooled better in the 991 they can afford to have it slip for performance starts so you can get up on the torque curve.
2. Burning smell. Addressed a couple of times above.
3. Hesitation. My base model doesn't hesitate at all, but check the thread on hesitation. The torque curves are attached.

ChuckJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S curves.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	223195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norm pwr&torque curves.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	223196  

Last edited by ChuckJ; 03-21-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Ok. Thanks guys. I think I was just hoping that the hesitation when accelerating through 2600-3000 RPMs could be due to a clutch issue and not something else. The hesitation I feel is taking some of the joy away from an otherwise fantastic ride.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
frenzy is infamous around these parts
Ok. Thanks guys. I think I was just hoping that the hesitation when accelerating through 2600-3000 RPMs could be due to a clutch issue and not something else. The hesitation I feel is taking some of the joy away from an otherwise fantastic ride.
I get the same hesitation from standstill for a base 991, but only when the car hasn't warmed up. Once at operating temps, its pretty smooth.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frenzy
I get the same hesitation from standstill for a base 991, but only when the car hasn't warmed up. Once at operating temps, its pretty smooth.
That's pretty much normal, but it doesn't have to warm up much.

ChuckJ