new 991S review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Attilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the rough
new 991S review

I picked up my 991 S coupe about 2 weeks ago, but have been so busy since I haven't had a chance to post pics or a review. Despite being busy I've managed to rack up almost 850 miles though, so I can now give a more detailed review.

Below are the specs on the car.

2013 991 S Coupe
-GT Silver Metallic
-Black Standard Interior
-Premium Package with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
-Roof Transport System
-Electric Sunroof
-Electric folding exterior mirrors.
-PASM Sport Suspension
-5mm Spacers
-Sport Exhaust System
-7-speed Manual Transmission
-Sport Chrono Package
-20-inch Carrera S wheels
-Wheels painted Platinum (semi-gloss)
-Instrument Dials in Black
-Seat Ventilation
-Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
-Seat belts in Guards Red
-Multi-function steering wheel
-Porsche Crest on headrests
-Door sill guards in stainless steel
-HD Radio Receiver

Overall I am very happy with the car. I went to the 991 S from an 2008 M3 (I had a 06 Cayman S before that and have driven various 997s, 993s and earlier 911s). The 991 really has everything I want out of a car. The great motor, amazing brakes/handling, the low sports car driving position, incredible sounds and clean sleek yet aggressive looks. All that and the car is comfortable, can be used daily and comes with all the luxuries and amenities you'd ever want (assuming you care to order them).

Below are some random observations on the car:

The car is really low and wider (especially in the front) then I remembered. It really became obvious when I parked it in the garage next to my wife's X5. It's been a few years since I had the Cayman and it is much lower than the M3 was.

It has been in the mid 80s the last few days, so I got to use the ventilated seats. They worked very well and kept my back cool. Love them.
On the other hand the heated seats don't seem to get anywhere near as hot as they did in my previous BMWs or Cayman. Perhaps that is a
side effect of the having ventilated seats?

I was initially a bit worried about how the raised center console would be like to live with from a gear-shift perspective, but really it feels very natural and
I have no complaints. The one drawback of the raised center console I have run into is that my knee rests against it and it can be a bit uncomfortable at times as it presses right on the bone. When I do autox/track days I'll definitely put a pad there.

The sport exhaust is perfect and I really like be able to turn it on/off. I doubt I will ever want it to be louder than it is now.

The PASM sport suspension is great. It is nice and firm, but still well damped and never really harsh. The lower look is very nice as well and I agree with most that the 5mm spacers are really a must. The wheels were tucked in too much without them.

The wind buffeting noise is definitely there as most have found. Right around 55-60mph it starts up pretty bad. Opening the sunroof clears it up right away though, so glad I ordered that. If you like driving with the windows down I'd recommend getting the sunroof as well.

Since I surf and bike quite often I ordered the car with the roof rack. Not sure why, but they certainly made the rack install more complex than on previous cars. That said after everything is adjusted correctly it can be installed or removed in 5-10 minutes, so not too bad. It's certainly makes the car more practical.

The manual transmission is just perfect. I love the feel and shift action. Really sad that this will likely be the last generation to offer a manual transmission.

The auto-rev match with sport-plus is a pretty cool novelty. I've been heal-toe downshifting so long I do it without thinking about it, so I likely won't use it much, but it is fun on occasion. Glad we have the option to turn it on/off. I would not have gotten it if it was always on.

Infant/Child seats fit in the back even better then I thought they would. Many have said there is no point to the rear seats, but with a young son I likely would not have bought the car if it didn't have them.

I had a clear bra installed by Glistening Perfection. They did the front bumper, hood, front fenders, lights and mirrors. They do top notch work and am very happy with the results.

I also had the car tinted by Elite Tint with ceramic film (clear on the windshield, medium on the sides and dark in the rear). Gives it a nice overall look, but also really cuts down on heat/UV in the car. I've known Toby for years and he has done many of my cars. He always does great work.

That is about all I can think of at the moment. I'll post more details after break-in and my first autox with it. Really glad the long wait is finally over. This car is just amazing and a joy to drive.

Below are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020883.JPG
Views:	5607
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	223509   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030034.JPG
Views:	3095
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	223510   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030042.JPG
Views:	3694
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	223511   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030045.JPG
Views:	2963
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	223512   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030048.JPG
Views:	2993
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	223513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030074.JPG
Views:	8703
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	223514  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
Nice car and write up!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
well observed and written, great pics of an amazing car you have thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice wheels and nice Cervelo. Must be tough riding the Cervelo without a seat. Would never have thought to put a roof rack on a P car, but it actually does not look bad! Congrats.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Nice tint and bike rack. Car looks fantastic-congrats again !

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 AM
GoGoSA991 is infamous around these partsGoGoSA991 is infamous around these parts
Top notch combo! Excellent write up. Enjoy your wonderful new car!

Cheers

-TLG

Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
Any opinion on the base stereo with the HD radio?

Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Attalis:
Beautiful car!!! Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

LotF:
I also got the base radio with HD and it is much better than my 997.2 with the Bose. In fact, I like it a lot. Of course the road noise is down so you can hear the 991's radio better also.

ChuckJ

Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Thx for the write up. Love the rack. No reason to use the car everyday, especially with the weather you have. Enjoy in good health!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
great car. could you please post some pics of the interior with the red seat belts?

have u considered buying a beater truck/suv to haul the bike?

Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
nice write-up..thanks...a 991 and a cervelo...great combo.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
LotF:
I also got the base radio with HD and it is much better than my 997.2 with the Bose. In fact, I like it a lot. Of course the road noise is down so you can hear the 991's radio better also.

ChuckJ
Thanks Chuck. If the Burm was the price of the Bose I'd get that. I already have sat radio in another vehicle and don't feel like paying for an additional sub. I do have internet access to sat radio through my cell for a few extra bucks. Just need something to tide me over in remote areas. So HD is it. Plus lose the wart on the tail.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Attilas
I picked up my 991 S coupe about 2 weeks ago, but have been so busy since I haven't had a chance to post pics or a review. Despite being busy I've managed to rack up almost 850 miles though, so I can now give a more detailed review..............
Looks great - you got the right stuff there!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Really nice setup--enjoy!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Two great rides and very cool that you can get to your biking destination in a 991S no less. - Like the color combo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new 991S review