Center exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Center exhaust

Perhaps I'm just set in my old ways, but I prefer the exhausts left and right over coming out the middle. A few years back Porsche designed some to be centered. I thought it was introduced with the Boxster and I just assumed that it was some sort of a cost savings. But now the GT3 seems to have a centered exhaust also. It doesn't seem that the flow would be as good because the size doesn't seem as large as, for example, the C2S (but it's really hard to tell). In addition, it seems hard to believe that there are less changes in direction with one coming out of the center, increasing back pressure. Does anyone know the thinking behind putting it in the middle?

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 03-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
One theory might be for aerodynamic purposes? I noticed that racetrack focused variants of certain ferraris (F430 Scuderia and 599xx) did have the same feature (centrally positioned exhaust outlets), albeit further up in the bumper so as to not mess with the winds blowing from below.

It could just purely be cosmetic though (I personally like the look of the central exhaust on the GT3) considering Porsche didn't use it as a marketing tool like they do for any other "enhanced" feature on a new car.

Or it may be abit of both, would be interesting to know the true reason.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Perhaps I'm just set in my old ways, but I prefer the exhausts left and right over coming out the middle. A few years back Porsche designed some to be centered. I thought it was introduced with the Boxster and I just assumed that it was some sort of a cost savings. But now the GT3 seems to have a centered exhaust also. It doesn't seem that the flow would be as good because the size doesn't seem as large as, for example, the C2S (but it's really hard to tell). In addition, it seems hard to believe that there are less changes in direction with one coming out of the center, increasing back pressure. Does anyone know the thinking behind putting it in the middle?

ChuckJ
The early Porsche race cars all had center exhausts, all header pipes leading into one collector. That changed with the 911, which had three into one with trumpets- but there were some center outlet variants and aftermarket centers. I got hooked with an aftermarket exhaust (Bursch) on a VW 1300 that made it sound just like a 356 race car.

My guess is that it is tradition/marketing "looking racer" is most of the story, but there are all sorts of harmonics involved in exhaust scavenging so manipulating flow and back pressure could be involved too. The F1 junior sound of PSE at high revs on my old Boxter S RS-60 more than explained it to me (just as often as possible). GT3s have it too and its intoxicating.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 03-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
Purely cosmetic and to differentiate the GT3 from the S.