I like the red on red tail lights.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alpacker01
I like the red on red tail lights.
I agree totally...

Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM
jkhatri is infamous around these parts
What's the news with your euro-spec tail lights?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
If anyone finds out how to get Euro taillights, I'd be very interested. Please share!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Dean Kewley is infamous around these parts
I had some clear euro tail lights fitted to my US spec 991. And they work perfectly. I have an amber turn signal and all other lights function as they should on a euro model. The clip is the same fit but you need to trim off a small piece of plastic on the clip to get to slot in. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the process as the guy that imported my vehicle changed them. But he said it was less than a 10 min job to change both.

These are the little i order:- Clear LED Rear Lamp Kit. Porsche 991 Carrera LHD Cars
CLEAR LED REAR LAMP KIT. PORSCHE 991 CARRERA LHD CARS
Code: 99104490015

Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM
That´s great news. A plug-n-play process. All the functionality is in the light itself. No coding required?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 AM
That's correct, no coding necessary. A plug and play install.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Does anyone have the part numbers for stock euro tail lights? (red lens with amber turn signal LEDs). The clear ones are easy to source but I would like to stick with the red lens.

The ones I found (99163114309 & 99163114209) supposedly don't have a rear fog which makes no sense if they are the euro market lights.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 AM
LED Rear Lamp Standard. Porsche 991 Carrera LHD Cars
Code: 99163114112
Left

LED Rear Lamp Standard. Porsche 991 Carrera LHD Cars
Code: 99163114212
Right

Old 11-01-2013, 11:37 AM
This is the store i use in the UK http://www.design911.com/ they are very good.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
omegaSMP300 is infamous around these parts
I thought I didn't like the red on red look but in person it actually really worked for me. Your car looks good but definitely go with what you are feeling.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jkhatri
Here are some shots to my GR991

Aside from a personal preference, I think the red tail lights that share turn signal and brake light function can be quite ambiguous from certain angles in traffic. Am I indicating a turn or hitting the brake here?
Not sure what your point is here.

If the left tail light in your photo was blinking when you took it, you were turning. Especially if the right tail light was not blinking.

If the left was not blinking, then you were braking ....especially if the right tail light is of the same brightness and pattern.

How is this any different than any other car? Only one side blinks to indicate the direction of the turn. Both sides light up solid (or light up much brighter) to indicate you hit the brakes. Pretty intuitive. Not aware of any car with an LED reader board built into the rear bumper that flashes "I'm hitting the brakes now!"

It's a beautiful, clean, flowing design of a tail light. It would have been shame to have screwed it up with an additional light of some sort.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Founder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Not sure what your point is here.

If the left tail light in your photo was blinking when you took it, you were turning. Especially if the right tail light was not blinking.

If the left was not blinking, then you were braking ....especially if the right tail light is of the same brightness and pattern.

How is this any different than any other car? Only one side blinks to indicate the direction of the turn. Both sides light up solid (or light up much brighter) to indicate you hit the brakes. Pretty intuitive. Not aware of any car with an LED reader board built into the rear bumper that flashes "I'm hitting the brakes now!"

It's a beautiful, clean, flowing design of a tail light. It would have been shame to have screwed it up with an additional light of some sort.
There's ambiguity with a red rear turn signal if the car is not directly in front of you, or it's partially obscured (eg. they're in the lane to your right with a truck behind them and you can only see their left side). In these situations a bright red light can mean either of these things for a split second:
  1. I'm hitting the brakes
  2. I'm signaling a turn
The ambiguity isn't resolved until you realize the bright red light is blinking (or not), and this may not happen until the 2nd or even 3rd blink. This can cost a precious second or two of reaction time.

Even if the car is directly in front of you, a red turn signal can register as "braking, and one of my brake lights is out".

The ambiguity is totally unnecessary and is resolved with amber rear turn signals. Yet another reason why I like driving better in Europe.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Founder
There's ambiguity with a red rear turn signal if the car is not directly in front of you, or it's partially obscured (eg. they're in the lane to your right with a truck behind them and you can only see their left side). In these situations a bright red light can mean either of these things for a split second:
  1. I'm hitting the brakes
  2. I'm signaling a turn
The ambiguity isn't resolved until you realize the bright red light is blinking (or not), and this may not happen until the 2nd or even 3rd blink. This can cost a precious second or two of reaction time.

Even if the car is directly in front of you, a red turn signal can register as "braking, and one of my brake lights is out".

The ambiguity is totally unnecessary and is resolved with amber rear turn signals. Yet another reason why I like driving better in Europe.

I've heard this argument before and have actively tried to reproduce the situation, yet have been unsuccessful. I completely realize what you're saying, but the fact that you're:

1. Staring at the US-spec rear light of the car, and
2. Seeing the light ON, but then immediately turn OFF a split-second afterwards,

...would give you a correct indication (at least 99% of the time) that this person is not applying the brakes steadily enough to warrant any sort of action on your part. If said person has slammed on the brakes or, alternatively, is signaling a turn, chances are that you'll notice it in time. Hell, even if they have a burned brake light, you'd notice their intention within a split-second. That split second should be enough time if you're keeping a minimum distance from the car in front of you (and not tailing him ).

I can imagine some rare instances where, for example, you're racing down the freeway going 150mph and you need to determine whether the 911 down the road (blocked by said truck) is braking or getting ready to turn in front of you. Sadly, that situation seldom arises here in the States if you're following posted speed limits.

Last edited by Christophosphorus; 11-05-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dean Kewley
Hi,
I've just imported a 991 from the US to Spain. I need to get the amber turn signals working to make it road legal. So i'll let you know how I get on. I've ordered some euro spec rear tail lights. I'll see if i can get them to work by rewiring or I will have to get it reprogrammed at the dealer.
have you moved to spain or are you from there? I have relatives in javea and go there every winter...great great place, the costa blanca...good Porsche fahren

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Euro tail lights with amber turn signals