Rattles and Squeaks Getting me Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
MBX5 is infamous around these partsMBX5 is infamous around these parts
Rattles and Squeaks Getting me Down

I know in the grand scheme of things, interior rattles and squeaks are a pretty minor annoyance, but the number of rattles and squeaks that have developed in my car is pretty disturbing. I have had it in twice to fix the driver's side door and b-pillars, which worked for a couple of weeks, but now all three rattles are back to some degree.

The passenger side is now also rattling in the same way as the driver's door. I now also have a clicking or rattle sound from somewhere inside of the dash and the c-pillars, or somewhere towards the back on both sides of the car, are also rattling or squeaking. This is all in 65 degree weather.

My dealer tries to make it right, but I know it would be asking a lot to bring it in for them to fix all of these. While these issues are minor I know, they do detract from the driving enjoyment of the car and at this point, I would be willing to pay someone to go in and add some felt or whatever they use.

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps an auto sound person who is already familiar with removing interior panels, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I had one squeak in the passenger a pillar, but it went away before I got a chance to take it in. Different dealers will have differing capabilities here. I would get feedback before taking it to one as they can make it worse if they are not capable.

ChuckJ

Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Too many rattles and squeak on my car, I stop thinking about them

Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
SLVR_BULLIT is infamous around these parts
It is disappointing. On one hand, you dont want to keep dropping off the car and continue whining about rattles and noises that send the techs hunting for noise. After all, they didn't design it. At the same time, you paid a handsome amount for a new Porsche. You demand perfection from a manufacture who sells "precision". I still have a stupid squeak when my car starts (im in so cal so same weather). Im told it is a unique characteristic of my car due to the sound symposer. I call bullish!*. My car is on the recall list for the muffler so I plan on documenting, recording with video, my complaints and when it is in for the muffler thing I will ask they get it right.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SLVR_BULLIT
It is disappointing. On one hand, you dont want to keep dropping off the car and continue whining about rattles and noises that send the techs hunting for noise. After all, they didn't design it. At the same time, you paid a handsome amount for a new Porsche. You demand perfection from a manufacture who sells "precision". I still have a stupid squeak when my car starts (im in so cal so same weather). Im told it is a unique characteristic of my car due to the sound symposer. I call bullish!*. My car is on the recall list for the muffler so I plan on documenting, recording with video, my complaints and when it is in for the muffler thing I will ask they get it right.
What were your build dates?

Mine was 1/21/13 and arrived 10 days ago. So far through 375 miles, it's not made a squeak, rattle or any other unwanted sound. As tight and solid a car as I've ever driven.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Every new generation 911 has had teething problems - price you pay for being first. Find a highly reliable independent who takes pride in getting things right

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
My 2013 C4S developed a squeek coming from the middle of the dash (somewhere under the Chrono) at about 400 miles on the odometer. It only happens when I'm going over 65 miles an hour, and driving over small bumps. It goes away when I drive over 30 minutes, so when I took it to the dealer, which is a 2-hour drive, they didn't hear the squeek. I'm going to take it back to the dealer so they can keep it over night and try driving it cold to see if they can hear what I'm hearing. I love the car but can't stand driving it any more because of the noise. It's like dating a gorgeous women with a terribly annoying laugh.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
What were your build dates?

Mine was 1/21/13 and arrived 10 days ago. So far through 375 miles, it's not made a squeak, rattle or any other unwanted sound. As tight and solid a car as I've ever driven.
My build date is also 1/21/13. 800 miles and nothing, no noises or squeaks,
knock on wood.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 AM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Alan said it best. Never buy the first unless you have time to deal with all the trips to the dealer. The 991 seems to have a lot of annoying issues.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
I have found the best way of dealing with the rattles and squeaks is to switch on the PSE and keep the revs high. Somehow that fixes the issue .
On a more serious note, I have fixed all the more annoying rattles myself. Sometimes I did not know how to gain access to something but I found the local Porsche shop quite helpful in telling me how to take things apart.

The last issue was a strange one - I had some occasional "tinkling" sound from the drivers seat, like you get from a loose washer or something like that. I found the culprit. A Canadian 25 cent piece in the seat rail mechanics. How that got there I don't know. There have not been any Canadians near my car and I'm on a whole different continent altogether. This one will remain a mystery. I'm taking this one as a small "discount".

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alan
Every new generation 911 has had teething problems - price you pay for being first. Find a highly reliable independent who takes pride in getting things right
I respectfully disagree.
I've had lots of "first years" and this has to be the worst in the +$100k price bracket.
993, Mercedes AMG's, BMW M Series, Maserati's, none of which have had these amounts of rattles out of the gate.

The odd creak here and there is to be expected, but when you can't turn up the stereo because your entire door panel is rattling , or a sunroof is a no-no because of the incessant (known) rattles, it goes beyond "firsts".

It's not like all the cars in question were the first to roll of the production line. This goes to workmanship and quality control.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Having removed pretty much every panel and crawled behind the dash to chase the annoying noises I SHOULD complain. I don't.
I sort of understand where this is comming from and why. Sure, nobody wants this on an expensive car - but this is a little different.
Weight. That is the culprit - or rather lack thereof. Virtually every rattle I fixed has its origin in very lightweight materials and assembly - the later is mostly to blame. Perhaps a little too lightweight. Too much clipping, too few screws. Surfaces rubbing against each other as they are not locked solidly together. Little loose bits of metal assembly that can simply be tacked into place with a dab of lithium grease - but aren't.
Lots of plastic behind the leather. It all moves and rubs as the very stiff chassis still flexes a little bit - just enough to annoy.
Yes, I think a few things could be assembled a bit better - a thin strip of felt here and there, a tighter clamp here and there, dab of grease, some electrical tape in strategic locations and things start to look up.
But somehow I'm happy. I understand the need to save weight. At least it kept me occupied for a few days and as a result I learned a bit on how things fit together. It's not a bad design. It just needs that extra 1% effort during assembly.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Rainer - You just opened Pandora's box with your admission to having fixed all your rattles. You are now a sought after man!!

By 6speedonline rules, you're now required to post your step-by step DIY guide for us mere mortals to follow.

Having resorted to jamming my poor wife's head under the dash to find rattles at 60 mph (she fought like a banshee), this plea is on her behalf.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
As a future owner who has little patience with poor quality, I've got to say this is a major buzz kill.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
My 1/13 build has a major buzz coming from the bottom of the door panel. I know I could just stuff something in between the panel and the door, but I'd rather take the panel off and add some felt tape in a few places. Does anyone know how to take the door panel off? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattles and Squeaks Getting me Down