Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by chancludo
Yes, forgot to mention that. See manual page 202. Mobils 1 5W-50 is also OK according to the table on that page.
Not quite. The Mobil 1 recommendation on p. 202 is separate from the table that lists acceptable oil viscosities. The critical item is that oils of the 3 listed viscosities must meet Porsche' A40 spec. Among Mobil 1 oils, only the 0W-40 meets the A40 spec, as can be seen on the rear label of the oil container. You will not find that endorsement on the Mobile 1 5W-40 product. Just to be sure, I called 1-800-ASK-MOBIL.

As for price, see my post on the 991 DIY oil change thread. Amazon currently has a nice sale on Mobile 1 0W-40

Spyder

Last edited by TSpyder; 03-28-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TSpyder
Not quite. The Mobil 1 recommendation on p. 202 is separate from the table that lists acceptable oil viscosities. The critical item is that oils of the 3 listed viscosities must meet Porsche' A40 spec. Among Mobil 1 oils, only the 0W-40 meets the A40 spec, as can be seen on the rear label of the oil container. You will not find that endorsement on the Mobile 1 5W-40 product. Just be sure, I called 1-800-ASK-MOBIL.

As for price, see my post on the 991 DIY oil change thread. Amazon currently has a nice sale on Mobile 1 0W-40

Spyder
Wow. I guess one can never overestimate the variety of ways in which reality can humiliate the naïve... Thanks a million for bringing this up!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Wow. I guess one can never overestimate the variety of ways in which reality can humiliate the naïve... Thanks a million for bringing this up!
De nada. In the long run I suspect that using an A40 oil would be more important than a fraction of a qt overfill, especially if you carry around an extra qt in the frunk when the car is brought in for service

Spyder

Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TSpyder
De nada. In the long run I suspect that using an A40 oil would be more important than a fraction of a qt overfill, especially if you carry around an extra qt in the frunk when the car is brought in for service

Spyder
Just to add another data point to the complexities around A40 oil, there is a list of A40 oils over here at Pedros Garage, right from PCNA. Halfway down the page, it does list Mobil 1 5W-40, albeit with an expiration date of August 2012 (approvals only last between 2-3 years and the list is from 2010, so that's to be expected; I haven't found a newer list). The jug doesn't mention A40 or any other spec I'd recognize. Just that Mobil is a proud sponsor of NASCAR

I can't believe this is so complicated! Gee.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Your modesty just proves you're smarter than all of us combined. Just sayin'. Just had my oil changed by the dealer last week. You were spot on with 5W-40. That's what they used.

Anyone want to buy my spare 0W-40?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
from the Porsche Oils Recommended list;

for temperatures greater than -25C 5w-40 and 5w-50 are OK to use

for 0w-40 it says use for ALL temperature ranges

Unless your encountering some arctic like conditions 5w-40 would be just fine.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by NeunElf
from the Porsche Oils Recommended list;

for temperatures greater than -25C 5w-40 and 5w-50 are OK to use

for 0w-40 it says use for ALL temperature ranges

Unless your encountering some arctic like conditions 5w-40 would be just fine.
The point is not that 5W-40 weight oil is unacceptable. Rather, there's no Mobile 1 5W-40 weight oil currently sold in the US that meets Porsche' A40 spec. I verified that with a Mobile 1 tech. Presumably, the 5W-40 oil used by a dealer is A40 compliant, but it is not Mobile 1 available in the US.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ont%2fafl.aspx

5w-40 A-40 spec oil available in USA

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts
My oil has reached minimum level but not at the point where I need an oil change. Called the dealer and asked what oil they use. OW-40 is what they told me. They service and maintain a large number of both 991's as well as racetrack-ready vehicles. I trust their advise.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I think TSpyder is probably correct (or the Mobil guy just misinformed). The weird thing is that the PCNA sheet (attached) shows two Mobil 1 5W-40 oils, one marketed world-wide (WW), the other only in NA, Canada, EU and Japan, with different expiration dates. The latter one is the one that expired in August.

I really wonder how a normal mortal is supposed to figure this stuff out. Crazy!

Anyway, the link at PedrosGarage above lists about 200 or so A40 oils in the three viscosity ratings mentioned in the manual, 0W-40, 5W-40 and 5W-50. The majority (by products, not saying by any metric of usage!) seems to be of the 5W-40 variety. Just in case you needed more useless facts

Attached Images  

Last edited by chancludo; 04-01-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zmoney
My oil has reached minimum level but not at the point where I need an oil change. Called the dealer and asked what oil they use. OW-40 is what they told me. They service and maintain a large number of both 991's as well as racetrack-ready vehicles. I trust their advise.
I had the same situation and my dealer topped mine off for free. You might ask them if they will top it off.

ChuckJ

Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Total makes as A40 spec 5w-40 oil too

Sent from my iPhone using 6SpeedOnline