Sound Symposer mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 AM
M5Ivan has a spectacular aura aboutM5Ivan has a spectacular aura about
Sound Symposer mod

I love the Sport+ rev matching downshifts with the PSE, but I just wasn't loving the sound symposer intake noise. I definitely like the added engine noise, but to me, the frequency seemed just a little off and "slightly" artificial to my ears, YMMV. I should also mention that I'm still in the break-in period and haven't been above 4200 RPM's yet. I decided to remove just the sound deadening material that sits on top of the sound symposer tube, and leave the tube open. It's just a strip of insulation that takes all of 30 seconds to remove including taking on/off the carpeted area that covers it. I know a few people here have plugged the tube, but I decided to try this first. To me it's a definite improvement with the added benefit of hearing more of the natural engine noise as opposed to more of the intake sound. There isn't as much of a noticeable change in engine sound between Sport and "off", and the intake noise sounds better to me now.

Anybody else want to try this and report back their opinion?

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
somebody did last summer...there is a thread somewhere here or on rennlist. I seem to recall that they even posted photos

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I certainly don't want to take credit for this as I know somebody else here had found the location of the symposer and posted pictures of how to get to it. I just wanted to give my opinion and was hoping others will try this and report back with their opinions.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M5Ivan
I certainly don't want to take credit for this as I know somebody else here had found the location of the symposer and posted pictures of how to get to it. I just wanted to give my opinion and was hoping others will try this and report back with their opinions.

oh, no...didn't even consider that...no, I mentioned it as you may wish to look up that thread and then PM him....nope, wasn't assigning blame or credit...we're all friends here...and we're all talkin about our toys .

Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
All good

Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Sorry if the picture does not help as much as it should for a DIY, but here's what I did last year: disconnected the symposer and 'taped' a lid on it.
What you see on the picture is the left side of the engine bay (next to the top of the air box). You just need to remove the cover with the 2 fans (simply clipped) to access it.

I did not notice a big difference, but I was running side mufflers delete at that time and it was too loud so was trying to reduce noise in the cabin...

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Don't care for the sound of the symposer either. Seems to drone at a weird pitch when just lightly on the gas. I'm thinking of stuffing it from the inside with some insulating material.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by mtony
Don't care for the sound of the symposer either. Seems to drone at a weird pitch when just lightly on the gas.
Try just removing the sound insulation first.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
I removed it before, and loved it! But after awhile you would start to notice all the other noises that comes with this mod. I ended up putting it back to normal but I will most likely remove it again for spirited drives as it does sound more raw and powerful of a machine.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
I removed it before, and loved it! But after awhile you would start to notice all the other noises that comes with this mod. I ended up putting it back to normal but I will most likely remove it again for spirited drives as it does sound more raw and powerful of a machine.
Just curious , what other noises are you referring to?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
Just random engine noises. Not really intake or exhaust, but just the engine itself.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
cmb13 is infamous around these parts
Strange that some are opening it further, while others are closing it. Would you please tell me how this is accessed?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
gracious_911 is infamous around these parts
on sports and sports plus it really feels like something is 'cooking' back there
are you referring to the random sound of 'cooking beans' ?

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Just random engine noises. Not really intake or exhaust, but just the engine itself.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Coffee or pinto beans.