Some help with PASM vs. SPASM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Some help with PASM vs. SPASM

What is the difference PASM and SPASM?

OK, I am ignorant and need a little education. I have a Carrera S with PDK Sport Chrono. When I press Sport Plus is that the same as SPASM (the car does say that the suspension goes to sport)? Or is SPASM a specific option? It would seem that it would be SPASM when you press Sport Plus. But the online config has PASM Sport Suspension as a $890 option. So it would seem that I do not have SPASM.

Too many darn acronyms. PSM, PASM, SPASM, SPAM, OPP, DVR, DVD…

Would someone shed some light for me?

Thank you

Marc

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Yes, on your C2S, since you have SCP, when you press the S+ button, the SPASM lights up, then if you have PSE, you can see on your PCM (unless you have GPS and a DVD or an MP3 connected through a USB) how high your MPH goes....

I'm in the same boat. Given that I am not from here, when a friend told me "he just got back from DR", it took a good twenty minutes to understand it was the DOminican Republic...

I kind of share the same doubt you have.....

But i do think we have it....

Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
zzboba is infamous around these parts
Sport Plus is not Sport PASM. Sport PASM is an option where the car is lowered by 10mm (=approx 0.4") and setup is stiffer/more sporty, and a little less comfortable (but far from uncomfortable).

Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
PASM Sport Suspension is the actual term. SPASM means the same thing, but is not an official Porsche term. It stands for Porsche Active Stability Management. The option lowers the car almost a 1/2 inch and offers 2 suspension settings via the button in the center console that looks like a "shock" . . . Normal and Sport. It does affect the "Sport Plus" setting (if you have it because you have the "Sport Chrono" Package on your car) by stiffening the suspension and controlling damping even further than a car without the "Sport Chrono" Package (cars without the Sport Chrono Package and the "Sport Plus" button can still have the PASM option). Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
PASM & PASM Sport (SPASM) are optional extras on the base Carrera

PASM is standard on the "S" models. Car is 10MM lower than the base

SPASM is an option on the "S" models - $890. Drops the car an additional 10MM = 20MM total lower than the base car.

SPASM is not available as an option on the Cabs

Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dhill911
PASM Sport Suspension is the actual term. SPASM means the same thing, but is not an official Porsche term. It stands for Porsche Active Stability Management. The option lowers the car almost a 1/2 inch and offers 2 suspension settings via the button in the center console that looks like a "shock" . . . Normal and Sport. It does affect the "Sport Plus" setting (if you have it because you have the "Sport Chrono" Package on your car) by stiffening the suspension and controlling damping even further than a car without the "Sport Chrono" Package (cars without the Sport Chrono Package and the "Sport Plus" button can still have the PASM option). Hope this helps.
Still a little confused. I get that Sport Plus is not PASM sport suspension. I have sport + but I also have a suspension button that when I press, it says that it is going to sport suspension. So it this PASM Sport suspension?

Marc

Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by HotHonda
PASM & PASM Sport (SPASM) are optional extras on the base Carrera

PASM is standard on the "S" models. Car is 10MM lower than the base

SPASM is an option on the "S" models - $890. Drops the car an additional 10MM = 20MM total lower than the base car.

SPASM is not available as an option on the Cabs

OK the fog is clearing. So I do not have the $890 option. I still have a suspension button. So I am assuming this just stiffens the suspension but not lowers it, yes?

Thank you every one for clarifying. Now can anyone come over and get rid of the flashing 12:00 on my VCR?

Marc

Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
the suspension button is part of the standard PASM that you have, not signifying the SPASM. Nothing actually 'LOWERS' the car as you describe. The PASM equipped cars always ride 10mm lower than standard, while the SPASM cars ride 20mm lower.

Kevin

Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Min911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dhill911:3819291
The option lowers the car almost a 1/2 inch and offers 2 suspension settings via the button in the center console that looks like a "shock" . . . Normal and Sport.
The C2S with the standard PASM I test drove also has the "shock" button if I remember correctly.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
kes7u has hit the nail on the head. In a 911, the suspension height is unchangeable. As previously explained - standard, non-PASM suspension is the tallest. PASM lowers the car (it's always lowered) by 10 mm. If you pay extra for sport PASM (SPASM) the car will be 10 mm lower than PASM; and 20 mm lower than a car equipped with a standard suspension. Both PASM and SPASM equipped cars have a sport suspension button. That button does not lower or raise the car -- but it does stiffen or soften the suspension.

So - stock suspension is tallest, has a single setting.
PASM is lower - has a standard (soft) and sport (stiffer) setting.
SPASM is lower still, has a standard (soft, but not as soft as standard in PASM) and sport (stiffer than PASM sport) setting.

If you want a car that will actually raise or lower itself on the suspension - you need a Panamera or Cayenne with the air suspension. Those are the only Porsche systems in which the car can actually adjust its height.

DMoore
'13 C2S (with SPASM)
'11 Panamera 4S (with air suspension)

Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM
jkonva is infamous around these parts
To add to the confusion, does PDCC change the height of the car?

I have a 911 C4S Cab on order with Sport Chrono Plus and PDCC, thus the question.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jkonva
To add to the confusion, does PDCC change the height of the car?

I have a 911 C4S Cab on order with Sport Chrono Plus and PDCC, thus the question.
No. You can get PDCC with PASM or SPASM, but not with the base suspension. PDCC doesn't affect the ride height - the ride height is determined by which PASM system is installed.

PDCC does affect the way the body behaves in a turn - by almost completely eliminating body roll. But it doesn't affect the ride height.

DMoore
'13 C2S (with SPASM and PDCC)
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Perfect. Thank you all.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
You all realize that reading all this is MUCH more confusing than just reading the owners manual and/or Good to Know iPad app, right? And they are 100% accurate, which is not always the case here.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
You all realize that reading all this is MUCH more confusing than just reading the owners manual and/or Good to Know iPad app, right? And they are 100% accurate, which is not always the case here.
True. In the past the owners manual is usually not all that clear. Usually this forum will get to the right answer given enough time.

Marc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some help with PASM vs. SPASM