991 dead pedal removal and rennline pedals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
991 dead pedal removal and rennline pedals

there have been many great prior posts on 6sol, rl, and planet9 detailing the install of rennline and other aftermarket pedals. so no need to repeat it here, thanks to all those prior op's!

however, it was quite difficult to find any info on 991 or 997 dead pedal removal instructions. what i did find out there for prior generation 911s were not applicable for the 991 as it turned out. so i figured i should post that plus my impression of the rennline pedals for anyone interested in replacing theirs (paying it forward!).

pic#1: install was straightforward, search rennline pedals on 6sol etc and you will find many excellent threads with great tips and tricks.

pic#2: the installed deadpedal comes in several variants. this one has a recessed center for an authentic oem metal 356 hood badge ornament (available on the rennline website (and really does comes from pag)--be careful as there are 2 variants of this deadpedal, the other type uses a $9 3-d sticker of the porsche badge, not an oem metal badge. nothing wrong with that one, just giving notice). for anyone interested, the metal badge has a locking washer that slides onto a protruding stud in the back. while it cinches down easily enough, it doesnt get as super tight as a locking screw/nut might, creating concern for a slightly mobile (and possible rattling noise) part. so i used some slow curing, metal compatible epoxy adhesive on the part right along the stud and washer right before cinching. that solidly affixed it. then i just followed the instructions to screw it down solidly.

pic#3: this is the backside of the now removed oem plastic deadpedal. if you look closely it has 5 plastic ***** that snap into the corresponding holes. there are no other hooks or pieces that hold it in place. so basically you just need a trim removal tool or some thin right-angle type tool to crow bar the thing off. i slid a metal trim removal tool under the middle and bottom part from the LEFT side of the pedal and gently worked it off one **** at a time. a properly positioned screwdriver from the RIGHT side probably would have worked just as well. it just requires the right mix of force and finesse, nothing fancy.

pic#4: this is the deadpedal area sans deadpedal. the layers are: carpet, thin plastic membrane that contains the 5 holes for the pedal's *****, then styrofoam. i didn't look underneath the styrofoam layer since the screws that come with the pedal are not long enough to pentrate beyond that surface.

pic#5: side view of the throttle lifter plate on the existing oem throttle and the extension plate and throttle pedal sandwiched on top of it. easy install, it can raise the throttle pedal surface up to 1 inch. i found the oem configuration awkward for daily driving heel/toe downshifts due to the extreme height differences between the brake and throttle. this has helped tremendously! before installing this, i was worried that the throttle extensions (red pieces) would be too close the brake, and possibly producing a dangerous situation where pushing on the brake hard could accidentally push the throttle too. after different degrees of "spirited driving" (but not tracking), i am happy to report that this isnt the case at all. 2d images don't reproduce this well, but note that there is still a good 1 to 1.5 inch difference in height between the brake and throttle and there is good lateral spacing still between the left edge of the throttle extensions and the right edge of the brake pedal.

overall, quite pleased with this product, and i highly recommend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130413_012841_resized.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	231841  
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job, oldman. Looks terrific. Sharp!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
wow! Thanks for the great write-up and pics. Awesome!!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks Fantastic!! Nice work and write-up. I too need to do something for easier heel/toe downshifting.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 AM
archfarseer is infamous around these parts
Are those extensions made of metal or plastic?
I'm about to order a set as well for my 997tt and wanted it in silver, but was afraid that color would fade if it were made of plastic due to wear and therefore I'd have to order black.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Compukidd is infamous around these parts
Hi..thank you for this post. I have one question for you. The Rennline instructions for the dead pedal are as follows..
1. Place the Rennline pedal over the top of the factory plastic pedal.
2. Using a 1/16” drill bit, drill two holes into the factory plastic pedal in the locations marked with the arrows.
3. Install the 2 supplied truss head screws into the pre drilled holes.
4. Enjoy you new Rennline product.
Did you find that you had to remove the factory dead pedal or are the Rennline instructions incorrect? thank you again for this awesome post!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Like the look of the new pedals, but have same question: Are they plastic?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice! They look good!