991 Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
randy911 is infamous around these parts
991 Battery Tender

I just purchased a used 2013 911 Carerra S Cabriolet (2,200 miles). I also purchased the Porsche Battery Charger. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. I am very unsure of closing the door on an electrical wire as reccommended in the charger guide. Also, I noticed, my gauge cluster was illuminated after I walked away...I am thinking this is not supposed to stay illuminated all the time. Any guideance would be helpful. I dont want to leave a window partiallly open all the time. I looked for a gap in the weather seal/gasket and found none. Am I just too uptight about this because its the most amazing car I have ever owned?!!!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by randy911
I just purchased a used 2013 911 Carerra S Cabriolet (2,200 miles). I also purchased the Porsche Battery Charger. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. I am very unsure of closing the door on an electrical wire as reccommended in the charger guide. Also, I noticed, my gauge cluster was illuminated after I walked away...I am thinking this is not supposed to stay illuminated all the time. Any guideance would be helpful. I dont want to leave a window partiallly open all the time. I looked for a gap in the weather seal/gasket and found none. Am I just too uptight about this because its the most amazing car I have ever owned?!!!
Shouldn't be a problem to close door on charger wire. There is actually a gap all the way around the door that is sealed with a flexible rubber gasket. The cluster lights should go out after a few moments.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I am assuming you have car in garage. I leave window open wide enough for the wire. Have had no problems. Good luck with car. Have a blast with it. I am.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by windboat
Shouldn't be a problem to close door on charger wire. There is actually a gap all the way around the door that is sealed with a flexible rubber gasket. The cluster lights should go out after a few moments.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline
+1 I've seen cars on the showroom floor with parking lights on, doors closed and a charger wire coming from a closed door.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Unless you have to have a Porsche logo on the charger you may want to consider returning the $140 "Porsche" charger and get a Ctek for half the price....which is what your Porsche charge actually is but with a Porsche logo.

This is what Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. all sell....its just a ctek with a $75 sticker.

http://smartercharger.com/

The ctek will also have a pigtail so you can connect it directly to your battery which is what most recommend.....instead of your cigarette lighter.

And most importantly....Congrats on a fantastic car!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Unless you have to have a Porsche logo on the charger you may want to consider returning the $140 "Porsche" charger and get a Ctek for half the price....which is what your Porsche charge actually is but with a Porsche logo.

This is what Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. all sell....its just a ctek with a $75 sticker.

http://smartercharger.com/

The ctek will also have a pigtail so you can connect it directly to your battery which is what most recommend.....instead of your cigarette lighter.

And most importantly....Congrats on a fantastic car!
+1. I connect mine directly to the battery. CONGRATS on the car!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by windboat
That's how I do mine when I store the car for the winter months. Never been a problem and doesn't leave a permanent mark.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Have the same charger and I close mine in the bottom of the door with no issues over the past few years.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
twodan is infamous around these parts
I took mine from my Boxster that i had wired to the battery and asked the dealer to install it on my new 991. He told me that it was now unnecessary as the newer 991 didn't drain the battery like my older boxster would. was he full of $hit?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by twodan
I took mine from my Boxster that i had wired to the battery and asked the dealer to install it on my new 991. He told me that it was now unnecessary as the newer 991 didn't drain the battery like my older boxster would. was he full of $hit?
Yes, he was I'll of $hit!! These cars have so many electronics running at all times, it's like they're still breathing when parked in the garage.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dhill911
+1. I connect mine directly to the battery. CONGRATS on the car!
I attempted to install the ctek comfort connect directly to the battery terminals as directed in the instructions BUT the bolts are punched (wider at the ends so the nuts wont fall out). And therefore cant place the rings of the connector onto the bolt.

How did you connect it directly?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
randy911 is infamous around these parts
battery tender

I only use the cigarette lighter connector.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I also only use the cigarette lighter for this. The owner's manual on a 991 infers that you only need the tender if you're leaving the car something like 5 or 6 weeks unattended. It is a different battery than the predecessor cars though.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by randy911
I only use the cigarette lighter connector.
ctek cig lighter adapter ordered

Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM
TeCKis300 is a glorious beacon of lightTeCKis300 is a glorious beacon of lightTeCKis300 is a glorious beacon of lightTeCKis300 is a glorious beacon of lightTeCKis300 is a glorious beacon of light
How long do you guys find your cars batt's to be holding up before the car goes dead? couple weeks? month?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Battery Tender