Engine/Fuel additives for 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM
radarryan is infamous around these parts
Engine/Fuel additives for 991?

The 991 is my first 911, and I am in need of some advice from long time enthusiasts. Are there any fuel or engine additives that everyone recommends to clean out the fuel system and make the engine run at peak performance. For example, they say (granted, more so on domestic sports cars over imports) that a good octane booster will help the fuel injection system run at peak performance, such as a tank every 1,000 miles or so with an average American octane of 96-98, not European RON of 98 (American 91 or 93.)

I am not only interested in the over-the-counter additives such as STP or Lucas Oil but also more racing orientated additives. Basically, I just want my 911 to run at peak performance with the best possible stuff that everyone recommends and I can get.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Congratulations with your new purchase.

No additives to the oil, it dilutes the effectiveness of oil.
I would use Techron or BG44 once a year before an oil change.

Lot of opinions, I would chance oil for first time after about 2,000 miles and if not tracking, every 5,000 miles thereafter.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
If you can get American 93 octane, you're golden. Avoid ethanol if you can.
Damn California has 91 with 10% ethanol unless you go to a specialty race gas station. Not sure how it is in TX.

Toluene (from any high quality paint store - its basically about 110 octane) is a great additive for the track. Not sure if different lubricants must be used with it but I'm sure others can chime in on that.

Last edited by ArashApollo; 04-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
If you can get American 93 octane, you're golden. Avoid ethanol if you can.
Damn California has 91 with 10% ethanol unless you go to a specialty race gas station. Not sure how it is in TX.

Toluene (from any high quality paint store - its basically about 110 octane) is a great additive for the track. Not sure if different lubricants must be used with it but I'm sure others can chime in on that.
I'm in Dallas also and 93 is available with Shell. That's what I use. When I go to Fayetteville, AR Shell only has 91 and you can tell the difference.

ChuckJ

Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
I'd really like to get away from the 91 in CA. Is there an easy way to, say add a few ounces of a miracle fluid each time I fill the tank that brings it up to the recommended 93? Anyone?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chancludo
I'd really like to get away from the 91 in CA. Is there an easy way to, say add a few ounces of a miracle fluid each time I fill the tank that brings it up to the recommended 93? Anyone?
Hello.
I feel your pain. As I said in my earlier post, the only additive you can add to really increase your octane is toluene. Toluene is essentially extremely high octane fuel, but is used as a paint thinner which is why you can buy it at Sherwin Williams. In the petroleum industry, it is used to bring low grade fuel to acceptable octane readings. So you can fill up your car with about 14 gallons of 91, then 4 gallons of toluene to bring it up to about 93-94 octane. There are plenty of threads on different car forums on the internet that describe this process in higher detail, and many add a touch of miracle fluid type stuff to protect old rubber lines found in older cars.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by radarryan
The 991 is my first 911, and I am in need of some advice from long time enthusiasts. Are there any fuel or engine additives that everyone recommends to clean out the fuel system and make the engine run at peak performance. For example, they say (granted, more so on domestic sports cars over imports) that a good octane booster will help the fuel injection system run at peak performance, such as a tank every 1,000 miles or so with an average American octane of 96-98, not European RON of 98 (American 91 or 93.)

I am not only interested in the over-the-counter additives such as STP or Lucas Oil but also more racing orientated additives. Basically, I just want my 911 to run at peak performance with the best possible stuff that everyone recommends and I can get.

Thanks for everyone's input!
http://www.porsche.com/china/en/acce.../fueladditive/

Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Hello.
I feel your pain. As I said in my earlier post, the only additive you can add to really increase your octane is toluene. Toluene is essentially extremely high octane fuel, but is used as a paint thinner which is why you can buy it at Sherwin Williams. In the petroleum industry, it is used to bring low grade fuel to acceptable octane readings. So you can fill up your car with about 14 gallons of 91, then 4 gallons of toluene to bring it up to about 93-94 octane. There are plenty of threads on different car forums on the internet that describe this process in higher detail, and many add a touch of miracle fluid type stuff to protect old rubber lines found in older cars.
Thanks a lot, Arash! I spent some time reading through relevant posts on planet-9 and similar places and have a better sense now of how much more detail (and fudging) there is in the petrol industry that I'd rather not know

Do you use toluene just for the track or on a regular (daily) basis? Is anyone doing it on a daily basis? It seems quite messy...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Notice the "/china/" part in the URL. AFAIK, Cars are often manufactured differently for different countries.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks a lot, Arash! I spent some time reading through relevant posts on planet-9 and similar places and have a better sense now of how much more detail (and fudging) there is in the petrol industry that I'd rather not know

Do you use toluene just for the track or on a regular (daily) basis? Is anyone doing it on a daily basis? It seems quite messy...
No worries! Our 991's have sensors to detect different octane levels and cuts performance accordingly to ensure safe operation, whereas other cars, even modern sports cars (under 50K USD) are tuned to a certain octane.

Soooo.. using 91 octane is okay because the ECU will adjust accordingly, making it perfect for DD'ing. If you don't drive your car that often, and your tank will last for a couple weeks, its not that much of a hassle to use a couple gallons of toluene once or twice a month. Just remember to use a funnel (a very large one). You don't want that stuff touching your paint.

I still am not certain what additional lubricants are needed though. I need to look into that.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Bacca911 is infamous around these partsBacca911 is infamous around these parts
Learn something new everyday here! Lol

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Notice the "/china/" part in the URL. AFAIK, Cars are often manufactured differently for different countries.
It was a quick googling and came out first

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by pyramid
It was a quick googling and came out first
Yes, but notice how the chinese page linking to additives
says

The usage of fuel additive is very important for the vehicle's driving characteristics. Click here for more information.
(emphasis by me) whereas the US (or German) equivalent doesn't mention it:
Presumably, Porsche didn't simply forget the "very important" note to use additives in these geographies

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
And doesn't Shell contain Techron which is designed for the same purpose?

ChuckJ

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
i'm happy that someone brought this up...i put Techron in every 5k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine/Fuel additives for 991?