Corvette gunning for Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Yeah, but since Porsche in GrandAm mostly, seems everybody is having a hard time beating the Camaros which could be argued are a step below Vettes.

Just saying.
I'm Porsche biased anyway
I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that NASCAR racing is very different to Formula One racing. You cannot compare the 2 side by side, just like you can't compare corvette and Porsches side by side.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I dunno guys, but Porsche and Corvette have been competitors for as along as I can remember. The base models get to very similar performance in two totally different ways.

Just for objectivity - remember the rear engine "feat of engineering" is akin to the pushrod V8 "feat of engineering".

Where the vettes lag is in fit and finish.

Actually, I think that anybody who has a car payment or leases a porsche could certainly have been a cross-shopper.

Jus' Sayin...

Old 04-27-2013, 04:26 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
It's really very simple:

Porsche= apples
Corvette= oranges

Both are very nice, but very different. Viva la difference!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
They are always compared because magazines like

Car and Driver
Motor Trend
Road and Track

Always pit them against each other to see which is better.

In any case, at 51k, something seems wrong with the pricing. I bet Chevy is making next to 0 on that car until they reach a break even point sometime when they have to release the next version of the Vette. Seems kinda low.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lrattner
It's really very simple:

Porsche= apples
Corvette= oranges

Both are very nice, but very different. Viva la difference!
This is a great summary and the thread could simply end here on this conclusion
...but it won't

It is one of these emotional topics (see also the 'disappointed in the 3.4 engine' thread) that will generate pages and pages of comments, but that's ok, it's part of the fun of the forum.

I have already posted this video, or you probably have already seen it, but it is the right thread to share it again. Angus says himself that nobody is cross shopping and that the comparison is irrelevant, but you can be sure there will be another episode of Head 2 Head with the C7 vs the 991:

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I will never own a Chevy because I cannot forgive how I was treated when I bought my first car, an '83 Cavalier. And I have not loved vettes since the old ones (I lust after a '58 next town over). But, I applaud how much the vette has been improving over the last 10 years. And, at 50-60 K, the new Stingray looks like one heck of a deal. It has a great new look (not my taste but it shows someone was thinking about it) and a great performance:$ ratio. And, it is built for American roads and American drivers - torque, sound, and straight line acceleration. If you don't think that people who are looking for a performance car with some history, and cashe, and don't want to spend the extra bucks for a Boxter/Cayman or GT-R, and want a new car as opposed to a used 997 will turn to this, I think you are mistaken.

It is a competitor. And a worthy one. Don't be holding your breadth waiting for me to buy one. - actually, if I trade my 991, I could probable get his and her vettes! Maybe....

Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Interestingly, I think the difference between the Porsche vs Corvette (sophistication vs brute force) started not with the engineers, but the governments of the two countries. The German Government decided to tax based on size of the engine (not power) and gas. The US Government decided not to do that at all with the former and only slightly with the latter. Both countries have great engineers, but they just responded to the peoples desires given the costs that the Governments put on the industry / people; thus the apples and the oranges. Both are good, but different. Now, with time and competition, the cars are becoming closer in technical performance. Corvette's actually became slightly smaller and lighter than 911s. Conversely, their customer's desires remain slightly different and thus both cars have survived and remain their own character.

ChuckJ

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
carsrmyvice is infamous around these partscarsrmyvice is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ttpopo
I dunno guys, but Porsche and Corvette have been competitors for as along as I can remember. The base models get to very similar performance in two totally different ways.

Just for objectivity - remember the rear engine "feat of engineering" is akin to the pushrod V8 "feat of engineering".

Where the vettes lag is in fit and finish.

Actually, I think that anybody who has a car payment or leases a porsche could certainly have been a cross-shopper.

Jus' Sayin...
Contrary to popular belief in order to get approved for a lease on a 100k+ porsche, you essentially have to prove income and assets that put you well into the net worth required to pay cash. If you are opting to lease, you are basically making the decision that you want a new porsche every 2-3 years. Which is more costly, but also more fun. End rant

Sincerely,

man who leased porsche and never considered c7

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
I really think that the new Corvette will be great and will have a big impact on boxter and especially cayman sales. The boxter and cayman I'm sure will do well this year, being new models and without competition. But next year will be a different story. If the Corvette is as good as expected, why would many people buy a Cayman over the Corvette?-- and pay over $25K more, get far less hp (>100), and still have everyone pity them for not being able to afford a 911?
Porschephiles know that the Cayman is a great car, but the new buyer will choose the new Corvette over the boxter/cayman 8 out of 10 times.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Yeah, but since Porsche in GrandAm mostly, seems everybody is having a hard time beating the Camaros which could be argued are a step below Vettes.

Just saying.
I'm Porsche biased anyway
The GranAm race sanctioning body creates the rules that determine what competes and seeks to make the races interesting. Last week the rules favored the Camero and the Mazda tube frame diesel four door sedans. Next week, who knows what adjustments will be made

Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
I really think that the new Corvette will be great and will have a big impact on boxter and especially cayman sales. The boxter and cayman I'm sure will do well this year, being new models and without competition. But next year will be a different story. If the Corvette is as good as expected, why would many people buy a Cayman over the Corvette?-- and pay over $25K more, get far less hp (>100), and still have everyone pity them for not being able to afford a 911?
Porschephiles know that the Cayman is a great car, but the new buyer will choose the new Corvette over the boxter/cayman 8 out of 10 times.
I'll disagree with you. I think the Cayman/Boxster buyer is looking more for a small, great handling fun car...The buyer of the Vette is a mid-50's man who wants to dust everyone off the line and look cool :-_)

Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DBYT
Anyone notice the comparisons seem to only go one way? These cars are nowhere near being in the same league to be compared to each other. Each car also appeals to a very different demographic. Trying to compare these cars is like trying to compare NASCAR to F1.
+1 This is exactly how I would compare them!

Porsche is a much more refined car in every way, hence the difference in price.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
onapex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
If the Corvette is as good as expected, why would many people buy a Cayman over the Corvette?-- and pay over $25K more, get far less hp (>100), and still have everyone pity them for not being able to afford a 911?
they won't buy a corvette because they don't want their friends saying, "oh, so you couldn't afford a porsche?"

brand and status are very important factors for the vast majority of buyers who spend $100K-plus on a car. and in this regard, porsche does not compete with the chevrolet corvette or the nissan GTR except within the very small enthusiast market.

most people don't want to spend $100K on a car which sells next to the sonic or spark; or versa or sentra. it's the same reason there is an old navy, gap and banana republic. brand needs to differentiate. why do you think toyota has toyota and lexus?

when you argue that you could have spent $25K less on the corvette, you're missing the point. people want to spend $25K more on the porsche. it's their way of say, "I can afford a porsche and you can't." why do you think people spend $15k on a rolex watch?

this is not me being a porsche snob, just life. the same thing can be said of porsche vs ferrari.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by onapex
they won't buy a corvette because they don't want their friends saying, "oh, so you couldn't afford a porsche?"

brand and status are very important factors for the vast majority of buyers who spend $100K-plus on a car. and in this regard, porsche does not compete with the chevrolet corvette or the nissan GTR except within the very small enthusiast market.

most people don't want to spend $100K on a car which sells next to the sonic or spark; or versa or sentra. it's the same reason there is an old navy, gap and banana republic. brand needs to differentiate. why do you think toyota has toyota and lexus?

when you argue that you could have spent $25K less on the corvette, you're missing the point. people want to spend $25K more on the porsche. it's their way of say, "I can afford a porsche and you can't." why do you think people spend $15k on a rolex watch?

this is not me being a porsche snob, just life. the same thing can be said of porsche vs ferrari.

Not sure I agree. I think people buy Porsche because they love the look, the engineering, the way it feels driving it, etc. I think the number of Porsche owners who say, "I can afford it and you can't" is in the minority.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
onapex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Not sure I agree. I think people buy Porsche because they love the look, the engineering, the way it feels driving it, etc. I think the number of Porsche owners who say, "I can afford it and you can't" is in the minority.
"I can afford it and you can't" is probably a little too harsh. "exclusivity" is probably a better word. studies after studies have shown that people are very willing to pay for exclusivity (and the accompanying perceived status, feeling, etc.). even if the exclusivity is just perceived. it's all around us. that's why brand marketing exists. I'm not saying it's the only factor. obviously looks, performance, etc. play huge roles. but at the end of the day, the porsche BRAND and the Chevy BRAND makes cross shopping between porsche and chevy very small.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette gunning for Porsche