Corvette gunning for Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onapex
they won't buy a corvette because they don't want their friends saying, "oh, so you couldn't afford a porsche?"

brand and status are very important factors for the vast majority of buyers who spend $100K-plus on a car. and in this regard, porsche does not compete with the chevrolet corvette or the nissan GTR except within the very small enthusiast market.

most people don't want to spend $100K on a car which sells next to the sonic or spark; or versa or sentra. it's the same reason there is an old navy, gap and banana republic. brand needs to differentiate. why do you think toyota has toyota and lexus?

when you argue that you could have spent $25K less on the corvette, you're missing the point. people want to spend $25K more on the porsche. it's their way of say, "I can afford a porsche and you can't." why do you think people spend $15k on a rolex watch?

this is not me being a porsche snob, just life. the same thing can be said of porsche vs ferrari.
And I'd never buy a car on the same lot as a Boxster.

That said - I'm one of those that prefer a Cayman over a 'Vette (simply because of engine placement and balance). But damn, one must pause when considering a 450HP car around 3200lbs, suitable enough for the daily drive, track time, and drag race - all for $59k.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Just went to a Cayman event at Ray Catina in Edison NJ. If anyone from the dealership was there, nice job. I am 6'2" and 225 and the Boxter/Cayman are just a little small inside for me. But, wow are they a pip to drive. And the new styling, looking like a 991 interior and a great new body style, the shrinkage of the performance differential and cost differential between the Boxter/CayamS and the base Cerrara, it is no longer a car for those who can't afford the 911. I know a couple of guys who are big in the NNJR-PCA who were staunch 911 guys going for Caymans for the track. And, JMPO, the Boxter is better looking than the Cayman.

One of the managers was saying with all of the mid engine fans, next time Porsche will make the base Boxter/Cayman, drop the S and start selling mid engine 911s to maintain the brand and the performance gap and justify the prices of the 911 franchise. Who knows. But I think the Boxter/Cayman are no longer the poor cousin. I will keep my 991 for no other reason than I love it, have always loved 991st, and I don't consider anything a substitute. But I can see why anyone would buy a Boxter/Cayman and if the Stingray lives up to the billing, I can see lots of people looking at the performance and price and buying a vette!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by onapex
"I can afford it and you can't" is probably a little too harsh. "exclusivity" is probably a better word. studies after studies have shown that people are very willing to pay for exclusivity (and the accompanying perceived status, feeling, etc.). even if the exclusivity is just perceived. it's all around us. that's why brand marketing exists. I'm not saying it's the only factor. obviously looks, performance, etc. play huge roles. but at the end of the day, the porsche BRAND and the Chevy BRAND makes cross shopping between porsche and chevy very small.
I think if the Vette interior measures up, plenty of "exclusivity" minded people will face the fact that there is nothing "exclusive" about 98% of Porsches.
The whole point of Porsche is that they are superb accessible sports cars.

Exclusivity was function of cars like the 959, but those days are long over. Witness the 918. The 918 glow seems to me will confuse the hell out of exclusivity minded Porsche fans since the styling cues are shared with the Boxter most of all. Porsche can market the GT3 as a "race car" all it wants, but anyone who has been around racing has to find the "breathless racer" ads all too funny. The 991 and 981 (with inexpensive tire and suspension mods) are as much fun as trackday toys, especially with PSE.

I also would not be surprised by Vette prices with good options end up in the 90k range at launch, and well into Porsche ranges by the time the "good stuff" arrives a year later. The base cars of both brands remain the bargains.

PS Staying with Porsche here.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 04-28-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
One C7$ + another C7$ = one 991S

Lots of car for the $

Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM
ol1970 is infamous around these parts
there is some level of cross shopping between Porsche and Corvettes...(well at least one, me) I have a classic 67 vette and a C6 Z06 along with a '11TTS. I just love cars, and love the "arms race" in HP and performance that we are so lucky to be a part of these days. I like the 997 because if "feels" smaller, it is definitely way faster, but there is something about the Z06...its raw, unrefined, loud, and obnoxious...and actually a hell of alot of fun to drive. I'll buy the new C7 Z06 next summer...yeah, its styling is not as classic as I would like it to be...but it will kick ***...I hope to upgrade to the 991 tts as well...love these cars!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
First video test of the 2014 Corvette Z51 Coupe shows impressive numbers:
0-60 in under 4 secs; quarter mile in 12.0 secs @ 117 MPH; 60-0 stop in 93 feet; lateral acceleration: over 1G. And the car looks very good, IMO. These are just numbers, however: a real comparison test would pit equally-equipped cars with the same drivers on the same track under the same conditions and compare lap times. But if you're not going to track your car, that isn't relevant and it would seem that Corvette has done a good job of matching the 911. You be the judge: watch the video and read the story printed on the page below the video.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
...a real comparison test would pit equally-equipped cars ...
#1 I'm COMPLETELY astonished by what Chevy did with this base 'Vette.
#2 If equally-equipped cars are tested, that will cause any Porsche price to double the 'Vette's (in options alone).

Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Impressive test.

ChuckJ

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DBYT
Anyone notice the comparisons seem to only go one way? These cars are nowhere near being in the same league to be compared to each other. Each car also appeals to a very different demographic. Trying to compare these cars is like trying to compare NASCAR to F1.
I have noticed this new type or marketing over the last year. Every manufacturer wants their vehicles compared to Porsche because right now, Porsche is leading the pack. These manufacturers know that their cars cannot compete with Porsche but hope that a comparrison might put their product in a good light, and a close 2nd with the hope of sales. I see this with the new Corvette, Jaguar F-type, Zion, Subaru, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
GTSLVR991S is infamous around these parts
How in the world is the difference between pdk and 7mt that significant, per edmunds review? It's like a base vs s, two totally different cars rather than a simple transmission swap. Don't get me wrong, I know the pdk is faster, more efficient and sharper but every single category is better/faster. I mean braking? How? Near a full second in the 1/4 and 4mph higher trap? Forget the x51 package for 12 grand, all you need is pdk for a third of the price and double the gains!

I would never trade my 7mt for pdk irregardless of disproportionate mag times, but it is a little disheartening to see such a disparity from a reputable site like edmunds. (My record for exhausted vocab in one sentence).

Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
GTSLVR991S is infamous around these parts
How in the world is the difference between pdk and 7mt that significant, per edmunds review? It's like a base vs s, two totally different cars rather than a simple transmission swap. Don't get me wrong, I know the pdk is faster, more efficient and sharper but every single category is better/faster. I mean braking? How? Near a full second in the 1/4 and 4mph higher trap? Forget the x51 package for 12 grand, all you need is pdk for a third of the price and double the gains!

I would never trade my 7mt for pdk irregardless of disproportionate mag times, but it is a little disheartening to see such a disparity from a reputable site like edmunds. (My record for exhausted vocab in one sentence).

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Granted, haven't seen the video yet. And performance wise, bang for buck wise, I'm sure the corvette is a killer. But fact is, I wouldn't want to be seen nor caught dead in a c7. No matter how good it is, it lacks the Porsche intangibles and is the worst looking vette in a long time. No class !

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
'Irregardless' is not a word.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by bccars
Granted, haven't seen the video yet. And performance wise, bang for buck wise, I'm sure the corvette is a killer. But fact is, I wouldn't want to be seen nor caught dead in a c7. No matter how good it is, it lacks the Porsche intangibles and is the worst looking vette in a long time. No class !
You're not alone with this perspective.

I'm sure the Corvette has some holes to dig out of when it comes to interior, quality GT style, etc...

But I''ll suggest that Corvette has listened to their base, and have improved in just about every place that everyone has complained about (the rest will be determined years from now).

Better interior
Better performance (as tested)
Better Traction (based on performance)
Better Balance (on paper)
Better Mileage (like I care about that)
Better standard features
And transmission (kept what made people happy, not necessarily what was faster)

All with keeping the price about the same as the outgoing model.

Hard to argue that. BUT - just like the outgoing c6 (and c5 before that), they will appear everywhere. Maybe this isn't a bad thing.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
'Irregardless' is not a word.
Switch to decaf.....hardly wait for you to get your car & off the keyboard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette gunning for Porsche